PDA

View Full Version : Mmm, dat shell pink Strat.

Ennuinaut
December 12th, 2007, 12:33 PM
So, right now I have a nice electric that I'm using, but it's not my own. Granted, it's previous owner is my sibling, and she doesn't use it anymore (and has not in like three years), but I'll want to get my own electric at some point.. I'm figuring down the line should I manage to stick with it as much as I'd like to.

I've seen what I want.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/fpsvandal/dowant.jpg

I want. So much. Fender doesn't offer it as a standard colour, and hasn't since the 60s or something. Now, I know it's kind of silly to buy a guitar based on it's aesthetics, and I will be told "tonality!" and I agree! As far as I know, Fender's strat series are widely used and good guitars.

The problem comes where I can't buy one stock in that colour, it would have to be refinished. I am NOT handy, and would be way too afraid to try and alter an expensive instrument like that, so I'd like to get it professionally refinished.

That said.. any tips? Should I buy a white one as opposed to another colour so it's easier to paint? Who/where could I take such a thing? My google-fu has failed me. Also, seeing as this is a long range goal, like over a year, I'll be saving up.. should I be looking into an American or a Standard? and how much should I expect to pay for the refinishing job?

Thanks for any advice :)

tunghaichuan
December 12th, 2007, 12:58 PM
It seems to me like refinishing is very expensive.

One thing you might consider is a parts guitar from either Warmoth (http://www.warmoth.com/) or USA Custom Guitar (http://www.usacustomguitars.com/). You can get the body painted shell pink. In fact Warmoth has three shell pink guitars in stock. (http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?) You can filter on body color on the menu on the left-hand side.

The downside of parts guitars is they are relatively expensive, and have low resale value. That and you have to either put them together yourself or pay someone to do it.

tung

So, right now I have a nice electric that I'm using, but it's not my own. Granted, it's previous owner is my sibling, and she doesn't use it anymore (and has not in like three years), but I'll want to get my own electric at some point.. I'm figuring down the line should I manage to stick with it as much as I'd like to.

I've seen what I want.

I want. So much. Fender doesn't offer it as a standard colour, and hasn't since the 60s or something. Now, I know it's kind of silly to buy a guitar based on it's aesthetics, and I will be told "tonality!" and I agree! As far as I know, Fender's strat series are widely used and good guitars.

The problem comes where I can't buy one stock in that colour, it would have to be refinished. I am NOT handy, and would be way too afraid to try and alter an expensive instrument like that, so I'd like to get it professionally refinished.

That said.. any tips? Should I buy a white one as opposed to another colour so it's easier to paint? Who/where could I take such a thing? My google-fu has failed me. Also, seeing as this is a long range goal, like over a year, I'll be saving up.. should I be looking into an American or a Standard? and how much should I expect to pay for the refinishing job?

Ennuinaut
December 12th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the tip. I had not considered that avenue. Again, I'd probably have to pay somebody to put them together for me, because that's just not my strong suit.

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM
You can try finding a MIJ Strat in Shell Pink online. One of the Japanese retailers might have them. That is one sexy sweet color. I'd love to have one of those.

Big_Rob
December 12th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Good luck finding it. I've never seen a strat in that color up close and personal.

I've always wanted a strat in seafoam green

aeolian
December 12th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I thought Fender made the 50s Classic in the shell pink color. I know I've seen them in the store like that, but that was at least a year ago.

I can find the shell pink color at the Fender site under colors, but don't know what line of Fenders are actually currently build with that color.

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Nope the Classic 50s don't feature that color. Neither do the Classic 60s. I think the Warmoth bodies are the way to go here. Wildwood Music has some custom shell pink Strats but they're pretty expensive.

duhvoodooman
December 12th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Geez, about a year ago you could get one of those SX Strat copies at Rondo in pink with a rosewood neck for $99! All they show now is a package deal with a short-scale version....

Ennuinaut
December 12th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I'm aware theres little to no way I can get one of these stock. I'm wondering more about getting like a white one painted.

just strum
December 12th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Now, I know it's kind of silly to buy a guitar based on it's aesthetics, and I will be told "tonality!" and I agree!

Well then several of us are silly guys and gals. Hey aesthetics is the first thing that usually attract you and then if you are lucky it sounds and plays great.

My "dream" strat is off-white and should I get one, I will keep it away from you since I know what plans you would have for it.:beer:

Ennuinaut
December 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Ha ha. Yeah. An insidious plot!

Iago
December 12th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Actually, Fender used to offer Shell Pink as a color for the 60's Classic Series strats till 2003 or so,though its really hard to find one of those. I saw one on E-Bay once last year I believe.

Ennuinaut
December 12th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Hmm.. Interesting. If I purchased this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Strat-Guitar-Body-Vintage-Shell-Pink-Free-Extra-parts_W0QQitemZ120194712266QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4140 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...could I buy pretty much any strat and have a repair center just.. swap the bodies?

Edit: For.. future reference anyways. The more I'm looking at it, the more I can tell it's darker, not the proper shell pink colour.

F_BSurfer
December 13th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Does seem to be a different color
A good place to get the paint for your project is
http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/shellpink.html

Ennuinaut
December 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Does seem to be a different color
A good place to get the paint for your project is
http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/shellpink.html

Oh, hey wow! Have you used them before, or something? I mean, if worse comes to terrible, and I can't find a pro to do it.. hmmm..

I'll be bookmarking that link. I might see if I have an old electric, or a friend has one laying around that I can test doing my own refinishing on, then do it to the strat..

Would be a last resort.. but come what may! Cheers for the link, please tell me what you can about that store if you've used them before! :beer:

F_BSurfer
December 13th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Yes I have used there products before good company and good products I have a hwy1 that I plan on repainting sometime in there Olympic white

Ennuinaut
December 13th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Nice, dude. I signed up for their boards, too. This is a good backup option. Thank you for the link very much :)

robert43
December 14th, 2007, 04:36 AM

I've seen what I want.

What about a hello kitty squier dont they come in that colour or very close.
To paint it I would take it to a place that paint kitchen cupboard etc as they are use to painting wood no need to strip it( paint that is.
Its not too hard to remove the pickgaurd , bridge etc
To give you a idea I am having a bass painted in 2 pack ( auto paint ) I will strip the bass etc it is about $100 Australia to do

Ennuinaut
December 14th, 2007, 11:27 PM
What about a hello kitty squier dont they come in that colour or very close.
To paint it I would take it to a place that paint kitchen cupboard etc as they are use to painting wood no need to strip it( paint that is.
Its not too hard to remove the pickgaurd , bridge etc
To give you a idea I am having a bass painted in 2 pack ( auto paint ) I will strip the bass etc it is about $100 Australia to do

Ahhh... no to the hello kitty thing. I like the colour, but hello kitty is going too far.

But really? You.. don't have to remove the existing paint?

robert43
December 15th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Ahhh... no to the hello kitty thing. I like the colour, but hello kitty is going too far.

But really? You.. don't have to remove the existing paint?
All you have to do is rought the serface ie with some sand paper not too course clean & then they paint . The scratchs will give the new paint some thing to grip to .
The $100 was for them to rought the body clean supply paint & paint + a clear over coat + buff
I have sprayed a guitar via rattle can & you dont have to take all the old paint off. But if you serious get it do pro.
Just go ask a house painter they dont remove all off the old paint when they change colours on wall timber etc

oldguy
December 15th, 2007, 07:32 AM
You might take a look at this. Not that I recommend it, just entertaining reading.......
http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/

quote.

"I know what you're saying... "But I've never painted a guitar before. Do you really think that I can get the same results that you do?"

ABSOLUTELY! ..." :) :D

marnold
December 15th, 2007, 08:32 AM
You might take a look at this. Not that I recommend it, just entertaining reading.......
http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/
Actually, I've got several of his books. The site looks like a bad comic book advertisement, but the books themselves are valuable. I think you probably could get most of the same information from the Reranch forums, but it's not organized as nicely or conveniently. He takes you through every step: disassembly, finish removal, priming, masking, painting, wet sanding, etc.

oldguy
December 15th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Actually, I've got several of his books. The site looks like a bad comic book advertisement, but the books themselves are valuable. I think you probably could get most of the same information from the Reranch forums, but it's not organized as nicely or conveniently. He takes you through every step: disassembly, finish removal, priming, masking, painting, wet sanding, etc.

Thanks, marnold, that's good to know. I just browsed the site, and you pretty much nailed it, it looked like a bad comic book ad.
An organized step-by-step instruction for a beginner would be worth the price, IMO.

F_BSurfer
December 15th, 2007, 10:55 AM
If you plan on refinishing a body check in your area there might be a place you can have it boiled down shouldn't cost very much I have a place here that only charged $10 to do guitar body Just let it sit a few weeks to dry down and let the grain rest before you put finish on.

On a body that has a solid finish on it I would strip it.... If not there would be a greater chance of cracks and also will take away from the tone of the guitar.
The Hwy 1 that I plan on refinishing has a very thin finish on it I will sand this one and then refinish. Wood just needs to be able to breath

marnold
December 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM
If you feel the need to remove the finish, heat (as I mentioned earlier) is the best way to go. But in general if you just want to refinish it and there are no major chips or anything, you can just scuff the surface and paint over it. Obviously, if you feel that the poly finish "deadens your tone" and you want to redo it in nitro, then go right ahead and strip it. Scuffing is easier and you'll never get a better sealer than the original finish.

If you do scuff it, then obviously buying a guitar with a lighter finish on it would be preferable. Yes, you could still redo that black guitar in shell pink, but you'd need to apply a lot more coats.

Ennuinaut
December 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM
If you feel the need to remove the finish, heat (as I mentioned earlier) is the best way to go. But in general if you just want to refinish it and there are no major chips or anything, you can just scuff the surface and paint over it. Obviously, if you feel that the poly finish "deadens your tone" and you want to redo it in nitro, then go right ahead and strip it. Scuffing is easier and you'll never get a better sealer than the original finish.

If you do scuff it, then obviously buying a guitar with a lighter finish on it would be preferable. Yes, you could still redo that black guitar in shell pink, but you'd need to apply a lot more coats.

It's no problem, i'll just get one in white. Good to know. Thanks for all the info in this thread, guys, I'll keep looking for a pro in my area, and I'll be sure to post pics when it happens! :AOK:

LowEndWonder
December 29th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Rondo Music has this model in Pink and you get an amp with it too for $109.00. The only thing it's a 24 inch scale. :AOK:
http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/sst62mg3-4bgmy4.jpghttp://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/sst62mg34bgmypack1.jpg