PDA

View Full Version : Boston... New York City

Robert
December 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Well, since I ran fast enough in Vegas to qualify for Boston Marathon, the chances are great that I will be in Boston in April! :beer:

The plan is to go with some friends, who are able rent an apartment in New York for real cheap. We'll all stay together in that apartment. Then take the train to Boston.

Is this a good idea? How long does it take to get from Boston to NY by train? I hear it's super expensive to get a hotel room in Boston during the marathon.

Of course, I hope to meet any Fretters along the way! We have several Niew Yaaahkr's here, don't we?

Anyway, let me know if you have tips/suggestions for the running Canadickian going to NY/Boston.

duhvoodooman
December 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Gee, I guess you're not familiar with that ordinance prohibiting Swedish Canucks from entering NY? I mean, ya gotta draw the line somewhere! :rotflmao:

Robert, when you say "NY", I assume you're talking about the city, right? By train, it takes somewhere between 3.5 - 4.5 hours between NYC and Boston, depending on number of stops. You can check the Amtrak schedules (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/Schedules_Page) for times and fares.

I'm up in the Albany, NY area, about 150 miles due north of NYC, straight up the Hudson River valley....

Robert
December 12th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Yes, I mean New York City. I had a feeling that line had been drawn somewhere. I guess I'll dress up as some other nationality. :D

Guitar Gal
December 12th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Perhaps you could find a fellow fretter in the Boston area Robert :confused:
Anyone??

Congrats on making the cut for the Boston Marathon BTW.....personally, I don't think I have run a total of 26 miles in my entire life. However, get me on a bike and I can ride all day :Dude:

GG

duhvoodooman
December 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Perhaps you could find a fellow fretter in the Boston area Robert :confused:
Anyone??
Hey, good point--isn't Tremoloman from Beantown?

tjcurtin1
December 12th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Hey Robert - I'm in Plymouth, about 45 minutes south of Boston, and there is a commuter train that leaves from here. That's also the start of school vacation week for me. We could put you and a friend up, or, if there is a larger group of you and you want your own place, perhaps we could find something around here for you - that's pretty off-season around here, and I don't think you'd find other marathoners competing for space. It'd be great to meet you in the flesh!

Ted C.

Algonquin
December 12th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Hmmm... Train schedules around Boston? Maybe ask Rosie, I'm pretty sure she's familiar with them. :)

Robert
December 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I emailed Tremoloman, I think he's in Boston. Would be fun to hook up with some fretters!

Ted, that sounds really cool. I hope we can get together. Hotels are reasonable in Plymouth?

Who's Rosie?

Algonquin
December 13th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Rosie Ruiz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Ruiz

Apparantly she rode the train in New York to complete the marathon, and qualify for Boston to impress her employer.

In Boston, she messed up big time by jumping back into the race a bit too early and finished in first place for the women with a world record time. She hadn't realized that she didn't wait for the leading women runners to finish first... what a blunder!

She was eventually stripped of the title, and it was awarded to Canadian runner, Jacqueline Gareau.

sunvalleylaw
December 13th, 2007, 03:39 PM
LOL!!! :rotflmao: I remember that!

Apparantly she rode the train in New York to complete the marathon, and qualify for Boston to impress her employer.

In Boston, she messed up big time by jumping back into the race a bit too early and finished in first place for the women with a world record time. She hadn't realized that she didn't wait for the leading women runners to finish first... what a blunder!

She was eventually stripped of the title, and it was awarded to Canadian runner, Jacqueline Gareau.

Robert
December 13th, 2007, 03:41 PM
What a cheater. She never ran a single marathon, let alone qualify for one! :mad:

That ain't me, guys! :pancake

Tone2TheBone
December 13th, 2007, 04:19 PM

I remember that too and I don't even run. Well I fast walk at 4mph on the treadmill now. :beer:

Algonquin
December 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM
What a cheater. She never ran a single marathon, let alone qualify for one! :mad:

That ain't me, guys! :pancake
We'd never accuse you of cheating... but them fancy yellow sneakers seem to have some impressive 'hovercraft / levitation' technology built into them. :D

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/74730f14e09f47.jpg

sunvalleylaw
December 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Nah, that's just his body following the momentum of his tongue flapping in the breeze! ;) :rotflmao:

Robert
December 13th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Well, "They Call Me The Breeze"... know that song? :D

warren0728
December 13th, 2007, 08:30 PM
now that's funny....i don't care who you are! :rotflmao:

when is the marathon robert...and if you end up staying in nyc that might be a good reason for me to visit a couple of my friends there and hook up with you too!

ww

them fancy yellow sneakers seem to have some impressive 'hovercraft / levitation' technology built into them. :D

Robert
December 13th, 2007, 10:14 PM
April 21st is the Boston Marathon. I'll probably be in NYC a couple of days before. Would be fun to meet up!

warren0728
December 13th, 2007, 10:30 PM
i'll check the dates....

ww

tot_Ou_tard
December 14th, 2007, 06:12 AM
We'd never accuse you of cheating... but them fancy yellow sneakers seem to have some impressive 'hovercraft / levitation' technology built into them. :D

"Q" built'em for him & they also shoot poison darts to take out the runners in front of him.

Robert, you are suppossed to be a bit more discrete than wearing the bloody number on your chest if you are in Her Majesty's Service.

Bloozcat
December 14th, 2007, 07:36 AM
I don't know what the train fare is from NYC to Boston Robert, but if it's even half the cost of this flight on AA, I'd fly. Trains can be relaxing, but they're slow with all the stops along the way.
http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewFlightSearchResults?retrieveParams=true&z=a677&r=fd&z=a679&r=ff&lastPage=interstitial

Interesting story: I lived in Connecticut in the 60's, and the local high school produced two runners who each won the Boston Marathon. One was the coach of the long distance team at the high school, the other was one of his team members. The younger of the two is Amby Burfoot who today is the editor of Runners World magazine (or was the last I knew). During the spring and autumn days when the weather was warmer, the coach, Mr Kelly (can't remember his first name..John or Jack I think), would run to and from school every day...14 miles each way. His route took him past my house.

Robert
December 14th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Haha, Tot, you are too smart for your own good! :AOK:

Blooz, that was an amazing little story! :)

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM
And don't forget, if you're in the city, have Warren to take you to the Iridium to see Mr. Les Paul. Monday nights. While in Boston have some New England Clam Chowdah at Ye Ole Oyster House near the Italian district.

warren0728
December 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM
And don't forget, if you're in the city, have Warren to take you to the Iridium to see Mr. Les Paul. Monday nights.
Tone is right robert....even if i can't swing making the trip up there you REALLY need to go see mr. paul on monday night....get tickets for the second show because afterwards he'll come out and sign autographs and such.

ww