PDA

View Full Version : New vs Today's posts

tjcurtin1
December 12th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Was wondering why sometimes I see 'Today's Posts' at the links at the top of the page and sometimes 'New Posts' (usually a much shorter list). I prefer 'Thodays' as it is more extensive - any way to get one rather thatn the other?

Thanks,

Ted

tjcurtin1
December 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Ooops - well, I just found the link in the drop-down under 'quick links', so I can always access it that way.... but still curious why it shifts places from one day to the next...

t_ross33
December 12th, 2007, 10:20 PM
The link at in the top menu bar changes from "Today's" to "New" depending if you are logged in or not. A little weird, but I can live with it :messedup:

tjcurtin1
December 12th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Aha! Thanks, Trev - I knew there must be a reason!

tot_Ou_tard
December 13th, 2007, 06:42 AM
What I really want is posts that you haven't read. I've missed a lot of interesting threads because of not having that.

Robert
December 13th, 2007, 09:11 AM
If you click "new posts", it will show you all the threads that you haven't read since your last visit (or really, change "read" to "visited", since although the forum knows where you've been, but it can't really tell if you're just staring out the window or actually reading the thread... :) )

tot_Ou_tard
December 17th, 2007, 07:46 AM
If you click "new posts", it will show you all the threads that you haven't read since your last visit (or really, change "read" to "visited", since although the forum knows where you've been, but it can't really tell if you're just staring out the window or actually reading the thread... :) )

It doesn't seem to behave that way for me. Is it because I always stay logged in? I've missed entire threads. The only ones I know that I have missed are those that get updated later.

After my wife had surgery there wasn't weeks worth of posts when I clicked New Posts.

Sometimes I visit & only have a minute, so I only actually click on one or two threads. The next time I visit all the rest of the threads that I haven't clicked on have disappeared from New Posts.

The ideal solution would be an Unread Posts button in addition to the New Posts one. This would show all the threads that contain posts since the last time you clicked on that thread.

Thanks in advance!!! ;)

Robert
December 17th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Not possible, Tot. The forum "knows" after you log in which threads you haven't visited. It does this by using cookies. If you let the computer sit there but you don't read the threads, the forum will after some time determine those threads aren't new to you anymore. The forum can't read your mind, unfortunately.

Justaguyin_nc
December 17th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I think it's possible to subscribe to a thread.. so if one is of interest to you, you will be emailed all updates.. even if your online? is that true robert?

Robert
December 17th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Yes, you can subscribe to a thread and you get notified whenever there are new replies to it.

just strum
December 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM
The forum can't read your mind, unfortunately.

Or can it? I'm beginning to wonder.