PDA

View Full Version : Johnny A.

duhvoodooman
March 13th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I'd never heard of this guy until I came across some strong recommendations of his 2004 release "Get Inside" while poking around on Amazon. Bought it, and glad I did! Beautiful tone and touch. Much of the material (100% instrumental) has a jazzy blues groove to it, but he incorporates a lot of different styles and influences. Most of the tunes are original, but he does a beautiful rendition of Johnny Rivers "Poor Side of Town" and a very interesting take on Hendrix's "The Wind Cries Mary". My favorite cut is one called "Sing Singing", which is about 4 minutes of pure 6-string joy. Apparently, Johnny has been around a good long time, hailing from the Boston area. Did a stint as Peter Wolf's guitarist for several years and has been fronting his own band since the early 90's. He was an invited artist at Clapton's Crossroads Festival in '04 and has his own Gibson signature model, so you know this guy's no slouch. Check him out....

Tim
March 13th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Apparently, Johnny has been around a good long time, hailing from the Boston area. Did a stint as Peter Wolf's guitarist for several years and has been fronting his own band since the early 90's. He was an invited artist at Clapton's Crossroads Festival in '04 and has his own Gibson signature model, so you know this guy's no slouch. Check him out....

Where is the Tremoloman? He is Bostonian. Tremolo should be able to discuss about Johnny A.

The last time I had contact with him, someone broke into his car and did some damage. I don’t know no more.

Nelskie
March 13th, 2006, 10:57 AM
You know, I've seen Johnny A. countless times in Guitar Player, and for whatever reason, I've never thought about picking up one of his CD's. And I knew about his Gibson sig guitar, too, so like you said, the dude has some chops. Gibson USA isn't handing those things out to any shmoe with a modicum of talent. If you got your name on the headstock of a Gibson guitar, you gotta' be able to bring it.

Sounds like I need to head over to Amazon. Thanks for the tip, Voodoo.

duhvoodooman
March 13th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Where is the Tremoloman?
Good question. He hasn't been on the forum since Feb. 22!! :confused:

If anybody here knows him personally, you may want to check in and see if he's okay....

duhvoodooman
March 18th, 2006, 02:45 PM
A little sample of a tune called "Ignorance Is Bliss" from Johnny A's CD entitled "Get Inside". Man, what I wouldn't give to be able to play like this guy! And like almost all the greats, he makes it sound easy....

jpfeifer
March 20th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Johnny A is a great player. I found out about him in Guitar Player magazine. I checked out some of his samples online and bought his first album "Sometime Tuesday Morning". He has a great style and his tunes are very listenable. I really like his version of "The Wind Cries Mary". He completely changed the style and groove of the tune, but he plays Hendrix's solo note for note in the middle, it's really nice.

-- Jim

duhvoodooman
September 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM
Old thread I'm exhuming here, but I came across Johnny A performing a couple of his tunes on YouTube and thought I'd pass along the links for those interested in this excellent player:

Hip Bone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCTm1TcL7z8)

Two-Wheel Horse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pK8KdWkNS4)

Oh Yeah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ7amOCI6DI)