PDA

View Full Version : deluxe or deville?

birv2
December 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I'm doing some Christmas wishing/fantasizing and wondered what the difference is in tone between the Hot Rod Deluxe and the HR Deville.

I play blues and like everything from real clean Fendery sounds to some seriously overdriven Guitar Shorty/Walter Trout stuff, if that helps. Which would suit me better?

I'm asking about them because they're in the lower price range of Fender tube amps, and I like what little I've heard.

Bob

Spudman
December 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM
You'll get more bottom from a Deville but they are a lot heavier and louder. 40 watts for the Deluxe and 60 for the Deville.

duhvoodooman
December 13th, 2007, 01:13 PM
What Spuds said. Keep in mind that even the 40W Deluxe is hellishly loud. These are both really gigging amps, rather poorly suited to home playing. So it just depends on what you intend to do with it. If you're more interested in a practice/play-at-home amp, don't overlook the 15W Blues Junior. It won't have the volume or the bass of the bigger amps, but it's still plenty loud and has that all-tube Fender tone....

TS808
December 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Both are LOUD amps. I owned a Deville 2 x 12 and it literally screamed!! It's definitely a gigging amp.

Again, my biggest gripe about the Fender amps is the jump in volume from 0-4. Putting the amp volume (on the drive channel) at "3" with the gain at 12:00 will knock pictures off the wall!!

The Deluxe is plenty loud too...there's not much of a difference in volume between 40 and 60 watts.

I just bought a Vibrolux and for the extra money, it has better tone in my opinion (although the Hot Rod series is very good too), takes pedals well, and the tone sounds great at low as well as high volume. The 2 10's in the Vibrolux are pretty beefy and warm.

Robert
December 13th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Deluxe.