PDA

View Full Version : Special Request

just strum
December 13th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I don't know if this has been done before, but since I am not at the talent level of many of you, I have a special request.

One of my all time favorite Christmas song is "Little Drummer Boy" and if anyone could post a tasteful version of that song, I will be extremely grateful.

I can listen to that song anytime of the year and it's one of those songs that stops me dead in my tracks to stop and listen. I will admit that there are a few versions I've heard over the years that actually made me glassy eyed. I am not what you would call an extremely religious man, but more of an independent religious man - however that song is just magic.

sunvalleylaw
December 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM
A nice separate backer would be really nice too! Thanks for making the request.

helliott
December 15th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I can't sing worth crap, but know an interesting instrumental version I can take a stab at if you want. But I think you want vocals, too, which is understandable.

Justaguyin_nc
December 15th, 2007, 06:59 PM
19bzuxoZq0c

I think the one that sticks out for me is song by Burl Ives..

I think this is it...

just strum
December 15th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I can't sing worth crap, but know an interesting instrumental version I can take a stab at if you want. But I think you want vocals, too, which is understandable.

helliott, that would be great, vocals aren't necessary. I love all approaches to this song. Well, maybe not DLR w/VH:D

I'm telling you there is just something magical about it.

_zMhSjDqvRs

sunvalleylaw
December 15th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Helliot, that would be great. Strum, nice link! I saw that vid when it originally aired, and had some older, "teenager" family friends that were way cool in my eyes and in to Bowie (and Supertramp). My folks and Grandfolks were into Bing, and even then, I thought it an odd and interesting mix.

helliott
December 15th, 2007, 10:50 PM
OK. I'll dig out the notes for the instrumental I've done a few times in clubs around Christmas -- nothing like that atmosphere in a club when everyone but the band the regs are home with their families, and you're left there in the lonely vacuum. But some cool tunes can result. So I'll recover this one and take a stab at recording it in the next couple of days.

helliott
December 16th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Here ya' go. Bit rushed, and the Yammy needs a fret dressing coming up right after New Year. But be all that as it may, here's a shot at the Christmas classic.
http://www.box.net/shared/8yt00hyqb8

just strum
November 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Here ya' go. Bit rushed, and the Yammy needs a fret dressing coming up right after New Year. But be all that as it may, here's a shot at the Christmas classic.
http://www.box.net/shared/8yt00hyqb8

As we near the holiday season I started thinking I started thinking about this song and remembered this post.

Unless I did it in anther post or PM, it appears I never thanked helliott for recording one of my favorite songs.

So, if I was remiss in doing so - helliott, thank you very much and sorry for not saying it sooner.

just strum
November 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Sorry, but I just can't resist.....

On behalf of all like-minded individuals out there (gotta be a few!), I just have to state for the record that I LOVE this song above all other Christmas tunes. It brings tears to my eyes:cry:

There, I feel better knowing that I voiced my agreement with Strummy. We now return to your regularly scheduled Fret.Net programming.... ;)

Why should I be upset :poke:

just strum
November 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Oh, and for the people that were taken by surprise with DVM post, I think it should be known that he PM'd me and he is sending me three pedals and an amp. I think he felt bad.

He said all I have to do is pay the shipping, I wonder what that will cost me?

duhvoodooman
November 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Actually, I decided that it was kind of a crummy post to make & deleted it. Unfortunately, you're like greased lightning on your replies. Not to mention, a revisionist.

just strum
November 8th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Actually, I decided that it was kind of a crummy post to make & deleted it. Unfortuately, you're like greased lightning on your replies.

:rotflmao: Hey, I got a kick out of it - you criticized the song, nothing more. However, I will let you ponder for the next 35 or 40 days wondering what I am sending you for Christmas.

Maybe

http://www.amazon.com/Drummer-Holiday-Stories-Scholastic-Collection/dp/B000GG4XZ6

duhvoodooman
November 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM
However, I will let you ponder for the next 35 or 40 days wondering what I am sending you for Christmas.
Don't. Really. Don't. I have a home address for you....

tjcurtin1
November 8th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I was going to warn you that, although I, too, really have a warm spot for this song, I have found that there are others who have the entirely opposite response and say that it is their most dreaded (to use a mild form) song of the season - but apparently, you've already heard that...!;)

duhvoodooman
November 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Well, since this thread has headed in the direction I had been going anyway, I will reiterate the operative phrase in the posting I deleted:

"Pah-rum-pah-pum-pum MY ***!!!"
Hate it, hate it, hate it.... :flamemad: :puke:

just strum
November 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Well, since this thread has headed in the direction I had been going anyway, I will reiterate the operative phrase in the posting I deleted:

"Pah-rum-pah-pum-pum MY ***!!!"
Hate it, hate it, hate it.... :flamemad: :puke:

I am shocked, simply shocked.

Let's see, I know when the amp arrived I kept the return address. Hmmm, what to buy, what to buy?

http://www.fitzandfloyd.com/product/code/19-213-.do?code=NEXTAG

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Well let's all have a good listen, shall we? DVM, no sneaking out the back. You too now! ;)

U-OTQmVOqJU

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-OTQmVOqJU

I remember seeing this broadcast, and as I am hugely sentimental about Christmas, and cross generational interaction, I fall into the "Like It" camp. The song itself did not used to be my favorite, but I like it now. I really appreciate Helliot doing the work to record for us.

just strum
November 8th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Let's see, I know when the amp arrived I kept the return address. Hmmm, what to buy, what to buy?

http://www.fitzandfloyd.com/product/code/19-213-.do?code=NEXTAG

or this

http://www.zazzle.com/drummerboy_little_drummer_boy_shirt-235937074884702238

duhvoodooman
November 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Well, get over it.

Let's see, I know when the amp arrived I kept the return address.
Yeah, and I know where I sent it! :nono:

duhvoodooman
November 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Well let's all have a good listen, shall we? DVM, no sneaking out the back. You too now!
I think not. I'd rather have a root canal....

P.S. Bing I can forgive, but Bowie shoulda known better....

just strum
November 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM
P.S. Bing I can forgive, but Bowie shoulda known better....

There are some strange things of Bowie's out there. I have
David Bowie Narrates Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf" on clear green vinyl.

I see it's available on CD.

markb
November 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM
There are some strange things of Bowie's out there.

Yeah, let's not forget this one.

gFoEjAMsmtg

just strum
November 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM
and this

ns5jr_Rvfzc

tjcurtin1
November 8th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Bowie and Prokofiev was good - but I thought from the beginning that the Bowie/Bing thing was weird, as well as being my least favorite take on that song. Just a little too, too - I prefer it simple.

just strum
November 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Bowie and Prokofiev was good - but I thought from the beginning that the Bowie/Bing thing was weird, as well as being my least favorite take on that song. Just a little too, too - I prefer it simple.

I prefer it helliott style. or played at DVM's house on his stereo.

helliott
November 8th, 2008, 09:58 PM
hmm. Gotta remind myself, next time someone requests a favourite song, find a reason to bail out pronto. Sheesh.

just strum
November 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM
hmm. Gotta remind myself, next time someone requests a favourite song, find a reason to bail out pronto. Sheesh.

No, don't say that. DVM is having fun commenting, nothing about your playing, he's just not fond of the song. He will learn to like it when he gets his Little Drummer Boy t-shirt and figurine.

I need to find the notes for the song and I'm going to put it into a Hendrix rendition. Maybe put it on a CD 15 times and send it to...well, you know who.

Kazz
November 9th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I have to say, this is not one of my favorite Christmas songs....I would probably be in the dread it category....but this recording would go a long way towards converting me.....translated to guitar it really is beautiful.

tjcurtin1
November 9th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Helliot,

Thanks for this version of the song - very nicely done! Wish I could manage it myself....

duhvoodooman
November 9th, 2008, 07:08 PM
No, don't say that. DVM is having fun commenting, nothing about your playing, he's just not fond of the song.
Yes, exactly! Absolutely no reflection on your playing, Helliott! And it was extremely nice of you to do that for Strum. I just wish he had better taste in Christmas music! ;)

just strum
November 9th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Yes, exactly! Absolutely no reflection on your playing, Helliott! And it was extremely nice of you to do that for Strum. I just wish he had better taste in Christmas music! ;)

DVM, I have to admit, every post you made in this thread has resulted in me laughing my a$$ off. You at least put the humor in your dislike for something. I really think you are going to like the t-shirt.

helliott
November 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
OK, gotta admit I was yankin a few chains myself. The faux offense was just that -- no offense taken whatsoever. The fret noise on the recording is truly annoying, which tempts me to do it again just to fix that. But the truth is there are other seasonal tunes I like better, so I'll probably do them instead.
Strum, glad you enjoyed it, and it was a pleasure to do it for you.

just strum
November 9th, 2008, 08:46 PM
OK, gotta admit I was yankin a few chains myself. The faux offense was just that -- no offense taken whatsoever. The fret noise on the recording is truly annoying, which tempts me to do it again just to fix that. But the truth is there are other seasonal tunes I like better, so I'll probably do them instead.
Strum, glad you enjoyed it, and it was a pleasure to do it for you.

You should consider doing another take of it for DVM, I sense he's starting to come around to being a big fan. Little Drummer Boy gets them all eventually.

oldguy
November 9th, 2008, 09:16 PM
You should consider doing another take of it for DVM, I sense he's starting to come around to being a big fan. Little Drummer Boy gets them all eventually.

FWIW, I've always thought of it as a precursor to hip-hop and rap.
:D :D :D :D :D

just strum
November 10th, 2008, 11:05 AM
FWIW, I've always thought of it as a precursor to hip-hop and rap.
:D :D :D :D :D

You know, you could be right.