PDA

View Full Version : User Reputation System now available

Robert
December 14th, 2007, 10:55 AM
You can now work on a person's reputation by clicking this image below a Fretter's name http://www.thefret.net/images/buttons/reputation.gif (it's just beneath the "My Photos:" part).

The idea is to give feedback on posts by a member. The more positive feedback, the more green buttons will show up beside a Fretter's username.

You can only give reputation once a day to the same person.

Let me know what you think of this feature.

warren0728
December 14th, 2007, 11:03 AM
great...and thanks for this smilie >>> :greenguitar:

you're the man robert! :dude:

ww

Robert
December 14th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks... glad you noticed!

Please leave a comment every time you use the reputation system too.

Guitar Gal
December 14th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Interesting feature Robert :AOK:

What's the highest or best reputation a fretter can achieve? Fretter God or Goddess? Fret Nirvana? Master Fretter? :master:

GG

Robert
December 14th, 2007, 11:27 AM
GG, in time you will find out...

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Well there goes my reputation and my chance for the Grammy.
Can we vote for ourselves? :D ;)

Robert
December 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Try it Tone...

just strum
December 14th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I don't see the point or purpose.

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2007, 11:53 AM
So this function allows members to sort out the wheat from the chaff eh? Is there a pie chart or graph link that we can view to get a better bead on who's posting all the crappy posts around here? LMAO

R_of_G
December 14th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Well there goes my reputation and my chance for the Grammy.

One might suggest the Grammy would destroy your reputation. :rotflmao:

just strum
December 14th, 2007, 11:58 AM
So this function allows members to sort out the wheat from the chaff eh? Is there a pie chart or graph link that we can view to get a better bead on who's posting all the crappy posts around here? LMAO

Depending on our social status, will we be cast into acceptance in only certain sections?

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Depending on our social status, will we be cast into acceptance in only certain sections?

Very good question which is why I posted my slightly facetious comment about this earlier.

To me this is a form of competition and I don't see how this fits within a forum such as this. Albeit guitar players can be highly competive! I also don't see the point in it. Robert how would this function serve the members of this forum? Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture here...could you give us your take on it? Thanks!

RoG - I can see where my Grammy win would throw people off yeah. ;) :D

Robert
December 14th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Well guys, the reputation system is just for a thumbs up or thumbs down on a post. If people think a post is really good, they can give it a positive rating.

People who consistently post great posts will get more green dots showing up as a result from good ratings.

I'd like to hear more feedback from everyone about this feature. It is a very common feature on other forums out there.

Justaguyin_nc
December 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Personally, I think its a crock of sheet...

The point of a forum is to have everyone speakup.. once you put some kind of rating system to it.. it will backfire.. ofcourse this is from a one green opinion.. so who knows.. I already post lesss and less around here...

Robert
December 14th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Why do you post less and less here, Justa?

ted s
December 14th, 2007, 12:54 PM
How many green dots do you need to trade them in for GAS relief ?

Justaguyin_nc
December 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Justa don't have the time... to many other forums... more diverse.. Im in a learning mode.. there are better learning forums.. I like hearing jams from users.. there are better jam forums... this was more of a family feel.. its breaking away from that.. sorry.. again.. justa my opinion..

warren0728
December 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM
i'm not really sure that it matters....i have to agree though....after thinking about it i'm not sure what purpose it really serves.... :whatever:

ww

duhvoodooman
December 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Personally, I don't care for this kind of thing. If I wanted to be part of a popularity contest, I'd go back to high school and start a slam book. IMO, when you start "rating" people publicly, nothing good comes from it. I'd deep-six it, if it was my forum....

Lev
December 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Personally, I don't care for this kind of thing. If I wanted to be part of a popularity contest, I'd go back to high school and start a slam book. IMO, when you start "rating" people publicly, nothing good comes from it. I'd deep-six it, if it was my forum....
+1 have to agree with the sentiments already expressed

t_ross33
December 14th, 2007, 02:54 PM

I concur. I like the family atmosphere here and for the most part we treat each other with the respect deserving of other human beings. We ramble, we get off topic etc. but it keeps things light and interesting. If we start rating users I'm afraid it changes the dynamic here.

Deep six it Rob. You won't be sorry ;)

sunvalleylaw
December 14th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I concur. I like the family atmosphere here and for the most part we treat each other with the respect deserving of other human beings. We ramble, we get off topic etc. but it keeps things light and interesting. If we start rating users I'm afraid it changes the dynamic here.

Deep six it Rob. You won't be sorry ;)

Concur as well. Too easy for it to degenerate into a popularity, or some other, contest. I like the civil discourse between members who have different skill and experience levels, and the family feel. :)

Algonquin
December 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I try and post here when I feel I have something constructive to offer, or if I a humorous take on something. I wouldn't intentionally post something to offend a Fretter, and I hope I haven't. This is a nice forum that would probably do ok one way, or the other.

Rob, I hope you haven't taken this, or any other reply the wrong way. Heck, the only stupid question, is the one that isn't asked!

On a lighter note:
If this 'Forum Function' add-on was a Birfday present from the good folks at Vitel, you got Jipped! :rotflmao:
Take it back and ask for some Keg certificates so you and the wifey can go out to dinner together.

Spudman
December 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM
If this 'Forum Fuction' ...
I just love saying this out loud. :D

86 the idea Rob.

Algonquin
December 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Ok, that was a typo... not a political statement. Honest!

I think I still have time to 'edit for spelling' :)

(Not that it wouldn't be a bad idea for a forum... just not here.)

I vote for a 'Spellcheck' feature.

Robert
December 14th, 2007, 04:00 PM
One of the possible benefits of this system is to reward the users who really put in a lot of work to post great content. They simply get rewarded by others who think they deserve it. Another use of this system could be to give feedback to someone who posted something of poor quality or stupid, without clogging up the original thread.

So the possible benefits does not outweigh the possible drawbacks, in your view?

sunvalleylaw
December 14th, 2007, 04:04 PM
One of the possible benefits of this system is to reward the users who really put in a lot of work to post great content. They simply get rewarded by others who think they deserve it. Another use of this system could be to give feedback to someone who posted something of poor quality or stupid, without clogging up the original thread.

So the possible benefits does not outweigh the possible drawbacks, in your view?

They do not in my view. I would not do it. JMHO. Thanks for all you work and thought to make this a great place. :AOK: :beer:

M29
December 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I really like the comfort level here. I think this might make me itchy...:messedup:

M29

Justaguyin_nc
December 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Don't see it as a benefit.. Someone posting a proper grammar three page article on the use of a pedal compared to the average guy using it and posting his idea as to what it sounds like and what he uses it for in five lines.. Im going to stay awake five lines..... so which one wins? and why?

Example.. Robert making a very good marketable lesson for the fretters.. Oldguy just throwing a good lesson up to be had by all..which is actually better? Neither... Robert deserves to be paid for his time if he wishes.. Oldguy deserves a thank you for his...

(BTW, To make this clear I am not riding on coat tails or asking for a free ride.. I have purchased a lesson or two from Robert...and awaiting his Blues DVD :master: )

Anything on any forum that seperates the masses.. makes it less enjoyable.. again.. it's justa-my-opinion..

just strum
December 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I just love saying this out loud. :D

86 the idea Rob.

I didn't even notice that - I just might give Algonquin four or five of those green dots for that.

Naw, I'll do it the old fashion fretter way :rotflmao:

just strum
December 14th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Here's my spin on this:

1) It reminds me of being back in school and being graded on my paper. I'm here to learn, but to have a lot of fun while I'm doing it.

2) It goes against the very rules that are published in FAQ "...no statements that are hateful..." It opens the door for this behavior.

3) I love just busting chops with the gang, that's my biggest contribution. It has no substance except laughter and what's music without laughter - "Does anyone remember laughter?"

3) and this is the most important - this is probably the first and last post I will make that has any value. I'm a beginner, outside of an occasional good question, I got nothing. So all you advanced players and tech people will be sitting there with all of your green dots and what will I have? I'll tell you what I'll have - my one token green dot and a tear drop in my eye.:cry:

So either do away with the system or bombard me with green dots for this insightful commentary.

I relinquish the soapbox to one of my fellow fretters that would like to comment.

Robert
December 14th, 2007, 05:08 PM
This feature could be used by anyone, including other beginners who might want to add good reputation to another beginner?

It would not be about being the best or most advanced, etc - it would be about posts that the community feel are valuable to them. What is valuable is completely subjective for each person, and anyone can use the reputation system.

I am not trying to convince anyone, just to clarify how this might work.

However, I understand everyone's concerns, and I do listen. I will not introduce something our community is against. I'll let this poll be up a few more days to see if any thing changes. In the meantime, I have disabled the reputation system.

Spudman
December 14th, 2007, 08:33 PM
How about if we all just promise to make better posts?

oldguy
December 14th, 2007, 08:39 PM
How about if we all just promise to make better posts?

I'll need help....:rotflmao:
Or I could just post less until I think they're better.....:whatever:

just strum
December 14th, 2007, 08:43 PM
What's good to you, may not be good to me. I don't understand this obsession with rating, grading, and... I just don't see it bringing anything positive to the forum.

I'm here to talk and learn guitars, but I like doing it as if we were all in a room together. The free flow of discussion, humor and whatever else might come into play.

I guess it all sounds too controlling to me. I don't know about the rest of the fretters, but I'm not looking to be controlled.

Edit: I was just thinking that since I'm relatively new here, maybe I am overstepping the boundaries a little bit. If I am coming off as being overly opinionated, I apologize. I think what I am doing is protecting what attracted me to this place in the beginning. I certainly don't mean to offend anyone or get into an "I'm right, you're wrong" thing (although I know I'm right:D )

Spudman
December 14th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I guess it all sounds too controlling to me. I don't know about the rest of the fretters, but I'm not looking to be controlled.

Ha! Made you say that. Neener neener.:p

just strum
December 14th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Ha! Made you say that. Neener neener.:p

Better watch it buddy, banning ugly avatars just might be next.

oldguy
December 14th, 2007, 09:07 PM
My view could be influenced by the state of affairs here (USA) right now.
I don't believe monitoring/rating performance is important....just my thoughts.
Robert,this is not meant to offend, merely to help....
when one's input is scrutinized, and put in a box, so to speak, it also puts constraints on creativity.
Not to say I've never seen posts on TheFret that were in poor taste, or language I didn't care for personally......
But if I chose what did and didn't make the cut here........it wouldn't be much of a forum..:AOK:

Algonquin
December 14th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Better watch it buddy, banning ugly avatars just might be next.
Touche!

Where's my spellcheck button? I don't want to get in trouble with this one :tongue:

(Forum function, Forum function, Forum function, Forum function, ...)

Kazz
December 15th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I'm with the consensus....for all the reasons Strum posted and then some....I came here from a place that had a few trolls and this would just add ammunition for said trolls.

Spudman
December 15th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Well it looks like this feature has been disabled.:AOK:

I will say a hearty thank you to Robert on behalf of us all and anxiously await the free beer posting bonuses that we were promised years ago.:beer:

Jimi75
December 16th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I feel very home here! Don't want to be judged by anyone. If somebody doesn't like my posts, he shall not read them, if somebody likes them, he lets me know with answering in a kind way, which happens in 99% to all of us here, because thefret is a good place.

For that reason, this forum really works as a big teamwork forum. We know each others posting style "pretty well", I guess.

Robert, thank you for not putting up such a system.

tot_Ou_tard
December 16th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I came in late on this discussion.

This forum attracts decent people so the folx already here would probably behave alright with green dots, but the newbies might be hesitant to post.
Their first impressions of the Fret would include a hierarchical structure (even if that wasn't how the locals viewed it).

Hierarchy has just as much propensity to turn a foum sour as does Flotsam & Jetsom & at least the latter two posters ;) :D :D ;) are good natured.

Glad to see that the green dots have been dropped.

duhvoodooman
December 16th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Lemme see, current tally: 0 For, 17 Against.

I can't remember the last thing around here that 17 of us were unanimous about!! :eek: :D

Now, don't somebody go voting "For" just to be contrary! :flamemad: ;)

warren0728
December 16th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Now, don't somebody go voting "For" just to be contrary!
must resist urge to vote "for"....must resist urge to vote "for"....must resist urge to vote "for".... :bootyshake: :rotflmao: :beer:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
December 16th, 2007, 01:20 PM
must resist urge to vote "for"....must resist urge to vote "for"....must resist urge to vote "for".... :bootyshake: :rotflmao: :beer:

ww
Now Flotsam behave ;) :D ;).

...signed Jetsom

warren0728
December 16th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Now Flotsam behave ;) :D ;)
it's not easy.... :tongue: :poke:

ww

sunvalleylaw
December 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Lemme see, current tally: 0 For, 17 Against.

I can't remember the last thing around here that 17 of us were unanimous about!! :eek: :D

Now, don't somebody go voting "For" just to be contrary! :flamemad: ;)

LOL!! though I could be tempted, too late. I cast my vote. :beer:

tOt, I'll join you as Jetsom. I always wanted one of those Jetsom space cars to commute to the sprocket factory. :D

just strum
December 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Now one must ask themselves - Did Robert vote?