PDA

View Full Version : Open Pandora's box

aeolian
December 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I got introduced to this internet 'radio' a few weeks ago: www.pandora.com. You go set up an account, you can then create your own radio stations by typing in an artist's name. Pandora will then create a song list according to what it believes is the genre of the artist you put in and play them. I have so far created 3 stations and it found a number of new artists that I've never heard of before whose music I like. A small negative is that the playlist is not that big, so after a while it starts to repeat; but I guess I can always create another new station.

See what you think.

warren0728
December 14th, 2007, 12:46 PM
i have had it bookmarked for a long time and do use it sometimes...but usually i listen to iTunes radio stations...Pandora is very cool though :AOK:

ww :greenguitar:

ted s
December 14th, 2007, 01:01 PM
It's a conspiracy I tell'ya, can't get Pandora in Canada.. :whatever:

warren0728
December 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM
It's a conspiracy I tell'ya, can't get Pandora in Canada.. :whatever:
is that true....i don't see how that site could be blocked in canada....

ww

ted s
December 14th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I've seen it before on other internet radio sites, looks like this..
http://www.pandora.com/restricted

warren0728
December 14th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I've seen it before on other internet radio sites, looks like this..
http://www.pandora.com/restricted
interesting...when i click that link it automatically redirects me to the pandora site so i never see the restricted message....must sniff for ip address or something and compare to where the ip address is located...

ww

ted s
December 14th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I think that's it Warren, like this..

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for most listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

We believe that you are in Canada (your IP address appears to be 65.92.71.57). If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and ask that you please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com

If you are a paid subscriber, please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com and we will issue a pro-rated refund to the credit card you used to sign up. If you have been using Pandora, we will keep a record of your existing stations and bookmarked artists and songs, so that when we are able to launch in your country, they will be waiting for you.

We will be notifying listeners as licensing agreements are established in individual countries. If you would like to be notified by email when Pandora is available in your country, please enter your email address below. The pace of global licensing is hard to predict, but we have the ultimate goal of being able to offer our service everywhere.

We share your disappointment and greatly appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

warren0728
December 14th, 2007, 01:34 PM
wow...too bad ted...it is pretty cool

can you access any online radio stations up there in canada?

ww

ted s
December 14th, 2007, 04:52 PM
yes, access to Canadian stations no problem, and some in the US.
The i-Tunes stations as well. Strange that some are accessible and some not.

stingx
December 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Can't fault them for not wanting to broadcast to third world countries. :rotflmao:

Oh I kid I kid! :)

ted s
December 14th, 2007, 05:34 PM
oooohh, where's that reputation button now ?!

just strum
December 14th, 2007, 06:54 PM
oooohh, where's that reputation button now ?!

:rotflmao:

Personally I think it's that damn Al Gore messing around with his invention again.