PDA

View Full Version : Mojo Picks

EscalonJon
October 6th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Brian May uses an english sixpence in his recipe for tone, many others use coins, picks made of brass, shell, wood, and just about anything else imaginable. I found a guy on the internet who fashions picks out of the old solid silver U.S. Quarters. He markets them under the name of Mojo picks.
http://www.mojopicks.cjb.net/
Basically, the Mojo picks are quarters that have been carefully crafted into a very comfortable shape that really gives a strong unique tone. The later dated coins also have the advantage of having a great gripping surface to limit slippage when sweating in the heat of battle. They are also great gifts for a buddy (or Betty) in giving them one with their own birth year. (and they look very cool...)

They are not for everyone, but a bunch of players in my area are using them and love them. If anyone out there has used them, what do you think? :cool:

Myles
October 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Not to rain on your parade, but isn't this practice highly illegal? Last time I checked you could get a jail sentence even for destroying money.

Hmm... perhaps thats part of why they are cool!?

EscalonJon
October 7th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Vitalmyles....

Yeah, and if you really want to be cool (and illegal), light your
Cohibas with hundred-dollar bills.

You did get me to thinking, and I found this info on the web...
http://www.fifth-letter.com/strata/issue3/miscellany/crime.htm

There must be some sort of a threshold below which they probably wouldn't bother prosecuting, but you never know. It looks like it might be okay as long as the intent is not to defraud. Kind of like putting a Fender decal on a faux guitar as long as you are never going to sell it as the real deal. I feel pretty safe having the picks and the phony-phenders until Fender or the Feds start coming into my house without notice or cause. If that became the case, I may have bigger things to worry about. Your point is well taken. The picks are still cool, though.

tremoloman
October 8th, 2005, 09:16 AM
And I thought I was the only nutjob using quarters as picks when in a jam! :)