PDA

View Full Version : Tech 21 Power Engine

Nelskie
March 13th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Well Fretters, I need another amp like I need a hole in my head. My recent fixation with the Pod XT has led me down yet another path on my personal quest for the "grail tone". Simply put - the tones I've been grooving on with my Pod XT are really quite substantial (yes, even to my surprise!), and with that being the case, I felt it was something that I needed to explore further.

Initially, I'd treated my Pod XT like a pedal effect, or multi-processor. I'd tried various configurations using all (3) of my amps (effects loop, and pre / post-signal), but somehow, wasn't getting the same killer tones with it as when I was using it direct. This kinda' bothered me. :confused: So I did a little research, and found that the natural tonal characteristics of the amps I was using were coloring the POD's own sound. In other words, the signal was being "re-processed" by the amp's circuitry, and running it through the amp was taking away from what the POD was already doing with its own digitally-generated amp / cabinet emulations. Sorry if this sounds confusing - it took me awhile to digest, too. Anyways - while I was at the POD User's Group website, I saw a thread on "live sound", so I took a look, and found that at present, there were (2) amps that worked really well with the POD - the Atomic Reactor (18W tube amp), and the Tech 21 Power Engine (solid state). The trick with these amps is that they offer an uncolored, transparent power source, which is what you want when using a Pod, V-Amp, or similiar pre-amp device. Since the Pod is already providing the digitally-created drive, cabinet, and effects paramters of your tone, all you need is an amplification source that takes those things, and just makes them louder.

So, off I went to Harmony Central, where I read glowing reviews about each. Next stop - Musician's Friend. The Atomic Reactor ran about $500, but was only 18W. Yeah, I know that doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't get loud. Still, I wanted something could get over a band without having to be mic'ed, or lined into the soundboard. Or something I'd have to replace tubes in. Seeing that I already had (2) great tube amps (my Peavey and my Epiphone Valve Jr.), I decided that maybe a solid state was the way to go. At $300, the Tech 21 was also an attractive buy. So, before I did did anything else, I did an Ebay search, and found a few of each. Still a little hesitant to buy yet another amp, I held off.

Well, this past Friday AM, before I left on my road swing for work, I decided to inquire on one I'd seen on Ebay for $249. I had a few questions about the amp, so I e-mailed the dude selling it that morning, and left the house. Well, what I didn't see was that the auction was going to end in the afternoon - before I'd get back. So, when I did check Ebay later in the afternoon, I then found that out (*insert classic "loser" cartoon music effect here*) Fortunately, the guy selling the amp did get my e-mail, and left me his phone # to call. So I did, and we had a nice visit about the amp. After we'd chatted for a few minutes, he says, "since I'd like to get rid of this thing, how does $225 + $15 shipping sound?" My head swooned slightly following his offer, and before I could muster even the slightest sense of control, I blurted out, "yes, I'll take it!" So anyways, there's the long and short of how I acquired my fourth (and hopefully last) guitar amp.

Lately, I've really been really getting into the POD thing - designing tones, recording with it, etc. It's such a useful tool, esp. using it alone as a pre-amp (which it does beautifully) to warm up vocals, and live mic'ed guitar tracks. Now that I'll have an amp w/ a transparent sound (and 60W to boot!), I can utilize all of the killer amps / cabs in my POD XT when playing live, and it will sound just like what I hear in my headphones / monitors! Saaaahhhh-weeeeet! :D

Here's a few links to check out:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/pe60.html
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Tech_21/Power_Engine_60-1.html
http://www.line6.com/podxt/overview.html
http://www.line6.com/podxt/sounds.html]

Bottom line: sometimes you cannot ignore the sounds in your head.

Tone2TheBone
March 13th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Another amp? Heck YES! You're a fretter on the edge dood! We need more pics though. :)

You know that amp looks cool. Kinda vintagy with the tan grille cloth if thats the amp you're getting. It's 60 watts right?

Robert
March 13th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Cool, you are a gear freak, admit it! Now we want to hear YOU play through this setup!

Nelskie
March 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Tone - She's on the way to Ice Station Zebra (ND) as we speak. I'll post some more revealing pix of her when she settles in and gets comfy back at Casa del Nelskie. Yeah, it is kinda' vintage-y looking, isn't it?

Robert - Gear freak would be a very mild case of the actual condition I am hoplessly afflicted with. Like I said to my Cyber-Wingman Justa' the other day, you can consider this the "calm before the storm". I got a few maltive cocktails a' brewin' down here at the ranch, and when those fuses get lit, she's gonna burn like a shot o' cheap tequila goin' down the hatch.

Tone2TheBone
March 13th, 2006, 04:01 PM
LMAO @ Ice Station Zebra

SuperSwede
March 13th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Plug you amp modeler into the effects return of any amp and you will bypass the preamp.

Tim
March 13th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Yep .. best thing you can do. Bypass the pre-amp. Nice catch there Nelskie.

Robert - where did you get that Avatar????

Nelskie
March 23rd, 2006, 09:36 AM
Swede / Tim - Use the pre-amp bypass? And miss out on another opportunity to buy some new gear? Whaddya' think I am - crazy? Actually, I did try that little trick you mentioned with both my Classic 30 and Cyber Twin, and it did sound different than when it was running "a' capella" into my Zoom MRS-8, or just using a set of headphones. Like I said, I'm still exploring this POD XT thing, so eventually, I may come up with some other ways to use it live. In the mean time, the Tech 21 will do the job very nicely.

Anyways - my *new* Tech 21 arrived while I was out of town. Haven't had time to put 'er fully through the paces quite yet, but probably will this coming weekend. Overall, I'd have to rate this as one of my best all-time Ebay experiences, not to mention one of my best all-time finds!! She's a beauty, and thought I'd share some snaps of her with ya'll.

duhvoodooman
March 23rd, 2006, 10:03 AM
O-o-o-o-h, nice!! Looking forward to hearing from you how she sounds!

Hope to have some "new amp pix" of my own to post this evening.... :R

Tim
March 23rd, 2006, 10:49 AM
Nice catch there Nelskie. I am not as trustworthy as you with eBay purchases. I read to many horror stories of people being ripped off. I hope we get to hear how this babe sounds in the “Home Recording & Sound Clip Showcase” section.

tot_Ou_tard
March 23rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
I have heard that the atomic was made for modelers (POD, Tonelab, V-amp). I haven't heard much about the Tech21. I'll go exploring, but can you tell us more???

tot_Ou_tard
March 23rd, 2006, 07:24 PM
I've got it completely wrong. It's Nelskie who is the Western antihero.

Name...Fargo

It's gonna be a hard ride for Fargo tonight indeed with a Tech21 strapped (along with all of his other amphs) to his hoss.

tot_Ou_tard
March 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
I've got it completely wrong. It's Nelskie who is the Western antihero.

Name...Fargo

It's gonna be a hard ride for Fargo tonight indeed with a Tech21 strapped (along with all of his other amphs) to his hoss.

Hard ride for Fargo?!?

Sheeeeiiittt......

---Fargo's Hoss

*spit*

6STRINGS 9LIVES
March 23rd, 2006, 07:28 PM
Nelskie ..Dude ...LEAVE SOME FOR THE REST OF US WILL YA ?....you gotta love ebay ..lemmie know how she works ..it looks like a million bucks , i haven't hear much on this unit , but somehow i have a premonition that i will be in the near future, sonic spider senses tingling ..ice station zebra..ice station zebra are you reading me ..ice station zebra come in ice station zebra.. we've lost em sir , just these strange cackles and it sounds like ,,like someones playin TUSH..... 6S9L

Katastrophe
March 23rd, 2006, 07:31 PM
Play that thang, man, we wanna hear it! Congrats on the new purchase, and great info on the amp "coloring" the modeler.

Nelskie
March 23rd, 2006, 08:35 PM
..ice station zebra..ice station zebra are you reading me ..ice station zebra come in ice station zebra.. we've lost em sir , just these strange cackles and it sounds like ,,like someones playin TUSH..... 6S9L

zzzztt . . . . zzzzzzttt . . . zzzztttt ...... Bravo Control, this is Ice Station Zebra. We have an definite affirmative on the tasty tones through the Tech 21. Repeat: tasty tones - affirmative! zzzzzttt . . . . zzzzzztt . . . .

All I got to say is that this is: Pod XT + Tech 21 Power Engine - definitely one happenin' rig. 60W of whatever flavor you want. EC-era Cream? Easy. Sabbath? No prob. Dire Straits? Yeah, and then some. ZZ Top? Like a west coast strust that's sweet as molasses!! This dog got a lot o' tricks, I do declare!

Oh boy, is this gonna be fuuuunnnnn! :p

Spudman
March 23rd, 2006, 11:12 PM
Let us hear! Ppppppllllllleeeeeessssseeee?

SuperSwede
March 24th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Ice station zebra, this is scandinavia central command. Fantastic tone confirmed. Following message is coded.
"
She had a west coast strut that was as sweet as molasses
But what really knocked me out was her cheap sunglasses
"