PDA

View Full Version : I realized this about my AD30VT

aeolian
December 14th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I have a fairly regular jam with a couple guys and I generally take my Vox AD30VT. A few times I have brought my 75 hardtail Strat and I've been really impressed with how good it sounded through the AD30VT. The other day I decided to play a little at home. I usually play unplugged even when I'm playing an electric but that day I decided to plug in to the AD30 and play through headphones plugged into the lineout in the back. I also decided to use my Strat because I remember the great sound I got at jam. Well, I was quite disappointed because it did not sound very good at all. My first reaction was may be I was wrong at jam and that the combination of my Strat and the AD30VT did not really sound that good. The next day I decided to find out. This time, since everyone else was out of the house, I played through the amp speaker, and the great sound was all there. The problem, it seems, is just that the AD30VT does not sound that great through the lineout without going through the actual speaker (in my case, a Celestion G10).

Has anybody else found this to be true? My conclusion currently is: if I were to record through the AD30VT do it via a mic and not plug directly from lineout into my recorder. Just to clarify, I usually do my recording through a J-Station into my recorder.

Actually I really like to hear from owners of the Toneport, because with that I assume you will record directly plugged in to the recorder.

marnold
December 14th, 2007, 09:02 PM
For some reason, Vox designed the AD30VT so that the line out is in between the solid-state preamp and the tube. So the output of the line out doesn't have that tubey goodness to it. Plus I personally feel that speakers pushing air sounds better than headphones. You can actually feel the music :)