PDA

View Full Version : Freedom

just strum
December 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I didn't want to stray too far OT on the "User Reputation System" thread and I will try to avoid getting too political, but:

Reading many of the responses of the thread it highlighted the importance of freedom even in a simple setting such as a forum. Think for a minute of all the people in this world that are striving for and fighting for it in their daily lives. We are pretty damn lucky.

Maybe the politicians (once referred to as leaders) of the world should take note.

Disclaimer: I am not equating Robert's idea as a stealing of our rights, but just noting how protective we are of any perception of having any form of freedom taken away. - and that's a good thing.

Robert
December 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Most of us are very lucky to live in a part of the world where we have freedom. Many don't, and many have no one fighting for them.

By the way, you guys know me - I would never try to take any forum freedom away from you. The reputation system is built into to the forum software and I thought we might enjoy it. I guess I was completely wrong. :) Doesn't matter, I am only interested in adding features everyone here enjoys.
You can definitely say I learned a lesson.

just strum
December 15th, 2007, 10:06 AM
...I guess I was completely wrong. :) Doesn't matter, I am only interested in adding features everyone here enjoys.
You can definitely say I learned a lesson.

I for one don't think of it as "I guess I was completely wrong". I see it as you have added so many good ideas, in the short time I've been here and sorta known you, there is no doubt in my mind that you put a lot of effort in this forum to make it enjoyable. A perfect example of your effort was the obvious concern you have about Justaguyin's drop off in usage.

It's only one idea that didn't go over well - but, you gave the group a choice, so no freedom lost.

So in the end you have a high rating of 99.999999%, not too shabby.:)

R_of_G
December 15th, 2007, 10:41 AM
It just goes to show that Robert runs the board like a true democracy, for and by the people. :dude:

And yes, freedom is good stuff. Enjoy it now before it's extinct.

oldguy
December 15th, 2007, 11:00 AM
By the way, you guys know me - I would never try to take any forum freedom away from you. The reputation system is built into to the forum software and I thought we might enjoy it.

I concur w/ others.... you've always done your best to give us Fretter's lots of value-added tools and toys here, Robert. I applaud you for that. That's what make this such a great site.:AOK:
As for me personally, if I post clips, videos, opinion, etc., and it gets a "big thumbs down" it wouldn't get under the thick skin I've grown over the years.
But I'd be afraid some people might be hurt or insulted, that's all.:)

just strum
December 15th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Oldguy, I don't know why, but when I read your posts I suddenly feel I'm being stared at.

Stare: to look fixedly often with wide-open eyes