PDA

View Full Version : What effects rig/pedals do you have and use?

deevo117
December 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I was just wondering what effects you guys use? I myself have a Digitech RP250

And I don't think I'm going to get a new pedal anytime soon, it has amazing effects and sounds really high quality for Digital effects. The Wah is pretty rockin compared to most other multi-effect processors. There are amazing effects from flange and phaser, to whammy and ya ya. And it has a built in whammy pedal while being cheaper than the real whammy pedal itself. My only gig, I used this and it went great. So if anyone needs all the effects for a great price, I recommend at least looking at this one. It's supposed to be perfect for recording too, which I will do as soon as I buy the usb cable.

and a lotta the Presets are awesome!

Here are its features:

AudioDNA2 DSP super-chip

30-preset Quick Start Tone Library

30-preset Quick Start Effects

Chain Library

89 total models

54 Effects models - up to 11 at a time

Genuine Lexicon reverbs

21 Amp/Preamp/Acoustic models with A/B switching

Up to 5-second delay

14 cabinet models based on vintage Fender*, Marshall* and Vox*

60 Factory / 60 User presets

2 x 2 streaming USB I/O

1/4 in. Stereo Outputs

1?8 in. Stereo Headphone Out

Robert
December 15th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I have a Lexicon LXP-1 and all the pedals you see in my sig.

oldguy
December 15th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I have the Digitech RP 250 also.
I like it for recording, or using the headphone out for quiet playing when the family is asleep. I can get some good sounds by tweaking the presets 'till I like 'em, but usually use effects pedals individually playing through my amphs.
Here's why.....
I can add/remove just on effect, and not scroll through presets.
e.g. I have distortion, echo, turned on, want to add tremelo, then more OD, then chorus, then turn off the dist. and OD, but add vibrato for a clean sound.
That's alot of user presets, and deciding which effect to assign to the expression pedal. I can stomp the Danelectro's on and off just as easy.
But if you like tweaking the presets, it's alot handier to carry around.:D

Spudman
December 15th, 2007, 12:37 PM
It's all in my signature.

marnold
December 15th, 2007, 12:42 PM
What he said. My EX-7 is basically a subset of your Digitech. I've heard that the samples are of higher quality on the EX-7, but I've never A/B'd it. There are also things like the Space Station which I don't think is on any other product.

Dauntless
December 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I've got a J-Station with a J-8 pedel set that serves me quite well. :rockon:
I'll grant, the learning curve is a little steep on this one, but then, It's an older system!

My only complaint is that it doesn't have a lot of memory, like the newer ones.

I've tried and owned others that were less complicated to program but, in spite of the convience, they just don't sound as good/full to me.

duhvoodooman
December 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Amen!!

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/pedal_overload.jpg

t_ross33
December 15th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Currently using a Digitech GNX3000 that I picked up from fellow Fretter BJunior (using it for live gigs and starting to use it for home recording as well with favorable results). Running XLR out to the PA board with Speaker Emulation "On" as well as 1/4" out to my Peavey for on-stage monitoring independant of the signal going to the PA with Speaker Emulation "Off" - super cool feature IMHO. :AOK: Running everything in mono until we upgrade our board - running out of channels. This thing sounds freakin' awesome in stereo!

Patches are easy to program ahead of time with the Digitech software and intuitive to tweak on the fly if need be. Each patch allows me to switch between 2 amp channels as well as turning on and off a stompbox, a modulation effect and a delay.

I still have some pedals that I intend to use for smaller gigs that wouldn't require running my guitar rig thru the PA - probably a compressor and either a Blues Overdrive or the Turbo Distortion depending on my mood :D

I have an Digitech RP-80 that is a pretty good little pedal and intro into the world of modelling. I've gigged with it, but won't go back to it now. Might sell it or keep it for the kids as they've started to show some interest in guitar. I had a custom "2-buck" suitcase pedal board a la Robert, but it has been mothballed for now as well.

Starting to GAS for a really nice tube amp - in which case I'll revert to a pedal 'ore, but will have to wait for the necessary disposable $$$.

Trev

sunvalleylaw
December 15th, 2007, 10:32 PM

Ditto. I use really all of them, but don't use the Wah as much yet, as I still don't have the hang of it, and haven't been playing Wah-ish songs. :D

pes_laul
December 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM
my line 6 floor pod and a dunlop crybaby though I do have a DOD overdrive from the 70's or so and like 5 danelctro mini pedals but I dont use them

Plank_Spanker
December 19th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Right now, my pedals are fairly simple:

EH Holy Grail > Boss CH-1 Chorus > Radial Tonebone Trimode.......for the Germino, which is A/B/Y'ed with a Johnson Millennium modeler using a Framptone Amp Switcher.

oldguy
December 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Sounds like a sweet setup.:beer:
How do you like the Radial Trimode?
I've been thinking of that or the Plexitube for a dual high gain sound.
Any thoughts, is one "better" than the other?:whatever:

Plank_Spanker
December 19th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Sounds like a sweet setup.:beer:
How do you like the Radial Trimode?
I've been thinking of that or the Plexitube for a dual high gain sound.
Any thoughts, is one "better" than the other?:whatever:

I've never used a dirt box before in all of my years, but I can honestly say that this Trimode sounds great! The thing that sold me on the Trimode besides the sound was it's dual distortion channels. You can set one for rhythm, one for lead, or just set up two distortions any way you want. The distortion on it sounds very warm and organic- no fizz or "can of bees".

The Plexitube is voiced more "British" than the Trimode, which is based on the Tonebone Classic. Either way, I don't think you'll go wrong. Radial builds some seriously good gear.

oldguy
December 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I've never used a dirt box before in all of my years, but I can honestly say that this Trimode sounds great! The thing that sold me on the Trimode besides the sound was it's dual distortion channels. You can set one for rhythm, one for lead, or just set up two distortions any way you want. The distortion on it sounds very warm and organic- no fizz or "can of bees".

The Plexitube is voiced more "British" than the Trimode, which is based on the Tonebone Classic. Either way, I don't think you'll go wrong. Radial builds some seriously good gear.

Thanks, I knew they were both dual channel, and you could set up 2 OD's w/ them, just wondered how natural they sounded. Sounds like they're good.

Ascension
December 21st, 2007, 12:58 AM
My pedal boards are pretty simple and basic. I have two one for my Fender Prosonic combo and one for my Fender Super-Sonic head and cab.
The Prosonic is a metal MONSTER so I dont need any additional crunch. I run a George Dennis Wah, Boss CS-3 modded with the Monti Allums Opto kit, Boss BD-2 modded with the Monty mod H2O set up to give me a light overdrive on the clean channel, Rocktron Deep Blue Chorus and a Boss DL-3.
With the Super Sonic I run another Dennis wah, Boss CS-3 with the standard Monti mod, Rocktron Vertigo and in the loop I run a Line 6 Echo Park. I have the channel switches for both amps mounted in there boards
I use the Prosonic for the heavier stuff and the SS for more classic rock and New Country.

LowEndWonder
December 28th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Hartke Bass Attack, Boss CE-20 Chourus Ensemble Dimensional Processor, Boss Bass EQ, Boss OD3, Radial Pro D.I. :pancake:

markb
December 28th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Blues Driver (stock) > Bad Monkey > Boss TR-2 > Boss DD-3, err that's it. Sometimes just one of the overdrives to kick the "Marshall" side of my TM60.

M29
December 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I am using a Boss Metal Zone for grins and a Bad Monkey with a Monte Allums
modded Boss DS-1 before the Monkey. I add a little Reflector reverb and that is about it.

One thing that interests me is switching between two amps. I see some of you do that. How do you go about that? I know you can A/B the front end but what about sharing the speakers with two amps, how do you do that with one switch?
I want to A/B my Marshall clone with a nice clean Fender amp down the road?

M29

tot_Ou_tard
December 28th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Amen!!

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/pedal_overload.jpg

It's official Vood a pedal whore :D:rotflmao::D.

sunvalleylaw
December 28th, 2007, 11:15 PM
What mod did you do to the DS-1? I am curious about them.
I am using a Boss Metal Zone for grins and a Bad Monkey with a Monte Allums
modded Boss DS-1 before the Monkey. I add a little Reflector reverb and that is about it.

One thing that interests me is switching between two amps. I see some of you do that. How do you go about that? I know you can A/B the front end but what about sharing the speakers with two amps, how do you do that with one switch?
I want to A/B my Marshall clone with a nice clean Fender amp down the road?

M29

M29
December 28th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Hello Steve,

I did the (DS-1 Rectifier Tri-Gain Mod) at http://www.monteallums.com/

I am very pleased with it. It smoothed out the distortion and spread out the frequency response and gave me more bottom end. Originally it was quite thin sounding and coarse. You get three settings from a toggle switch. The original sound and smoother distortion and a smoother yet distortion.

I have had their Boss MT2 mod kit setting here for about a year and have not been able to get to it. I am anxious to try that one out too.

I hope this helps.

M29

LowEndWonder
December 29th, 2007, 09:49 AM
It's official Vood a pedal whore :D:rotflmao::D.
Nice Peavey, I'd swear that was a Fender from afar.
Do you actually use all those pedals on a gig?
I hope you have at least two pedalboards with power supply, I'd hate to have to set that sound contraption up evey time I gig.
Then you gotta take it down after! :eek:

duhvoodooman
December 29th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Nice Peavey, I'd swear that was a Fender from afar.
Do you actually use all those pedals on a gig?
I hope you have at least two pedalboards with power supply, I'd hate to have to set that sound contraption up evey time I gig.
Then you gotta take it down after!
Actually, I just bought a Fender Blues Junior and sold the Peavey Delta Blues to Spudman. Great amp, but just a lot more power/volume than I need, 'cuz I don't gig--just play at home for my own enjoyment & relaxation. Just a gadget geek, I guess! Several of those pedals in the photo I built myself. Speaking of which....

I did the (DS-1 Rectifier Tri-Gain Mod) at http://www.monteallums.com/
Ya know, M, I've been reading about the various Monte Allums mods here & there for quite a while, and your post got me thinking about them again. 'Bout time I checked one out for myself! I really liked the sound of the clip for the DS-1 Rectifier Tri-Gain mod that he has posted on his site, so I just nailed a cheap used DS-1 on eBay and ordered the mod kit. I'll post back with my impressions (and maybe a "before" and "after" clip) once I install the mods....

WTVintage
December 29th, 2007, 05:02 PM
M-29., If think this will work very well

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4486/jogtz2.th.jpg (http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jogtz2.jpg)

For noises / Hum : just make Faraday I don't know the name in English but it's 'jail' maybe,

For switching pop's : Use pull down resistor, from 2M2 to 10M between earth, And input's I'll reck on..

F_BSurfer
December 30th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Two pedals that I could not do without now are Boss BD-2 which I used Monte's H2O kit on... I have said it before here the mod took a good pedal and made it great!!!!! It doesn't matter what amp I plug into , tube, solid state ,or even plugging the acoustic up this thing just totally amazing.

Second one is my Boss SD-1 that I put Monte's GT kit in I use this over the top of the Blues driver for note clarification and really articulates splitting the coils on my agile

Other than those two I will use a chorus pedal Boss CE-2 on tube amps Danelectro Cool Cat on solid state or when plugging acoustic in and then I use cheap little Danelecto reverb pedal on the backside of my Pro Jr

I do have Monte's kit for the CE-2 just have not got around to putting it in too many other projects right now still going through different circuit variations on my 5E3 I built