PDA

View Full Version : Alright, I need a new guitar...but

deevo117
December 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
It's not gonna be top notch. I can only spend $200 on a guitar cause I'm spending the rest of my bday money on an amp. Probably a Fender 100W Frontman...

So if any of you have purchased $200 guitars that are actually good, please let me know.

I would like humbuckers for pups, two volume knobs would be nice but they aren't necessary, and no crappy stock pickups (The hardest part!), and it's most likely to be a bolt on neck, which I don't really mind.

Nice looks always puts the cherry on top too. :D

I've found a couple of good ones that look promising here they are:

If you've played any of these, please give me some feedback!!

Epiphone G-310 SG:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G310-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518280

Dean Z X:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-ZX-Electric-Guitar?sku=519812

Dean V X:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-VX-Electric-Guitar?sku=519861

ESP EC-50:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-EC50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516672

I've played all of those and I just don't know what to choose.

I think the Z X and the V X had the best stock pickups closely followed, by the EC-50, but I just don't know. I need the help of fellow shredders!!

warren0728
December 15th, 2007, 11:46 AM
deevo....what are your plans for your new gear....are you going to be playing mainly at home or are you planning on gigging with the equipment.

the reason i am asking is that you mentioned getting the fender 100w frontman amp....that is a lot of watts for playing at home. you might want to consider a lesser wattage amp (you would be surprised at how loud a 5 watt tube or 15 watt ss amp can get) and use the money saved to put into the guitar....

just a thought

ww :greenguitar:

deevo117
December 15th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Well I'm actually going to start gigging cause there's this club at school where all these musicians came, and we've formed like 3 or 4 bands and we already have gigs scheduled in January. I honestly was originally going to buy a Fender 72 Tele Deluxe if I had the money, but I need a more powerful amp than my 15 watt Behringer to gig lol. I think I might be able to get a $300 guitar if I'm lucky but if I can I already know what I'm getting.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-HP-Signature-EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=511393

Played this at guitar center the other day.... sounds like it should be around $600....

My friend compared it to his PRS that he had brought, and there was only a small difference in the versatility of the pickups, but for half the price of his guitar, I think it's worth it.

Spudman
December 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Check out Rondo Music (http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss5.html).
The Agile AL2000 is really good.

Also Musician's Friend has a great deal on the Ibanez ARX100CA (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ARX100CA-Electric-Guitar?sku=517965).

Both within your price range and great sounding and playing guitars. For a little bit more Rondo will put your guitar in a case and ship it that way. Pretty cheap for a good case.

deevo117
December 15th, 2007, 12:49 PM
DUDE!

Thanks those look really sweet.

Man, that AL2000 is definitely a top contender now

Set Neck
High Quality Humbuckers
Flame Maple Finish

for $200

I can probably even get better amp than the frontman maybe an awesome TUBE!

THANK YOU SPUDMAN!!!! YOU ROCK!

Spudman
December 15th, 2007, 01:17 PM
DUDE!

THANK YOU SPUDMAN!!!! YOU ROCK!

Used to 'rock'. I'm now so old all I can do is 'roll'. I don't even do the 'and' any more.:cry:

That Ibanez is a pretty sweet option too. It's much lighter and the mahogany body design is very vibrant and resonant. If you can find a dealer that has one I suggest you try it out. Otherwise you can pretty much be sure that an LP copy is going to sound like an LP.

deevo117
December 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Used to 'rock'. I'm now so old all I can do is 'roll'. I don't even do the 'and' any more.:cry:

That Ibanez is a pretty sweet option too. It's much lighter and the mahogany body design is very vibrant and resonant. If you can find a dealer that has one I suggest you try it out. Otherwise you can pretty much be sure that an LP copy is going to sound like an LP.

The rock never stops as long as you have the spirit!
But don't worry, even if what you say is true, I'm gonna make sure your legacy lives on!

I'll try to see if my local guitar shop has that Ibanez it does look familiar but I might be confusing it with a Schecter.

just strum
December 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM
deevo,

I've heard a lot of good things about Agile, but I think Spud found you a great deal on that Ibanez. Personally if I was in the market for a $200 guitar, I would be placing my order right now. I see everyone else had it for $249 (still a good deal IMHO)

I have the Ibanez ARC300 and love it and I'm willing to bet the
ARX100CA is a nice guitar. I believe I played it at GS, but I'm not fond of guitars with pointy horns (I guess that's why I never really warmed up to my SG).

Ro3b
December 15th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Have you seen the (http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvsomaflma.html) new (http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvcamatose.html) Xavieres (http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvthcubafl.html)? If the quality is anything like my XV600, they're a lot of guitar for the money.

just strum
December 15th, 2007, 05:34 PM
deevo is the one looking for a guitar, but I have a feeling at least one or two more might announce the purchase of a new guitar because of all these recommendations:D

Ro3b, Nice recommendation!!!

Dauntless
December 15th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Since you were looking at an SG style, how 'bout this?

http://www.rondomusic.com/valkyriehc.html

Spudman
December 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM
The Agile Valkyrie is over the price limit, but ain't it cool what you can get for around 2 hundred bucks these days?

The Xaviere is a good deal too.

Sblack
December 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM

I bought my ARX100CA as soon as the price dipped to $199.00 again. It is one of the best solid body guitars I have ever played -- excellent pickups, smooth neck, excellent fret work, and the finish is really a dark red metallic -- very nice. This, in my view, is one of the best deals on the net. :AOK:

deevo117
December 15th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Alright I've realized that I'm not getting the frontman because I remember that the frontman amps have horrible distortion.

I'm not going to be able to order my guitar immediately though.

I have to wait a few weeks. I'm getting a different amp and I'm ordering it tomorrow I think.

EDIT:

Alright I My price limit has gone upp!!!

HOORAY. I can go up to $350 for a guitar....

I'm still looking at the Agiles. The AL-3100 (Les Paul spin off) with the P90 and Floating Tremolo has attracted me a lot. That may be the only exception of the price limit.....

robert43
December 15th, 2007, 10:04 PM
My son has a SG 310 which is prity good value for the $ exllent 1st guitar

Spudman
December 15th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Alright I've realized that I'm not getting the frontman because I remember that the frontman amps have horrible distortion.

I've A/Bd a Frontman 15R with a Mesa Boogie both into a Marshall 1960 4x12 and the Frontman sounded almost as good, seriously. It cranked. The fun thing about that amp, or a lot of amps, is putting pedals in front of it to get your distortions.

If your budget is more spend it on a better amp though. Many around here feel that the amp is the more important part of the tonal equation. Have you checked out any of Roberts Vox clips?

Sblack
December 16th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I've A/Bd a Frontman 15R with a Mesa Boogie both into a Marshall 1960 4x12 and the Frontman sounded almost as good, seriously. It cranked. The fun thing about that amp, or a lot of amps, is putting pedals in front of it to get your distortions.

If your budget is more spend it on a better amp though. Many around here feel that the amp is the more important part of the tonal equation. Have you checked out any of Roberts Vox clips?

Exactly what Spud said! Go with the better amp. :AOK:

In playing through many amps, I discovered the Fender Frontman 212R (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Frontman-212R-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481601)is an absolute bargain for the tone and volume you get, and you can dress it up with any pedals you like. That amp takes pedals really well, and the new look is all vintage Fender. Avoid the Frontman 212DSP at all costs, though. The modeling in those FM***DSP amps is horrific.

Many Fretters love their Vox AD**VTs, but I owned two and could never get past the brittleness of the tone. Robert (forum boss) has done wonders with his tone through the Vox, but I am convinced that his stellar playing can make a cardboard box and rubber band sound incredible.

just strum
December 16th, 2007, 06:46 AM
I wasn't in agreement about the amp over the guitar a few weeks ago, but reading the posts and watching some of the clips and going over to Dolphinstreet convinced me these guys are right.

I would focus on the amp and not try to bring up the amount you can spend on the guitar. Based on the suggestions these guys gave you for a guitar, you should do just fine paying $200 to $250.

A couple mentioned that are causing some serious GAS for me:

Xaviere XV-700 @ $189 (insert GAS sound here)

Ibanez ARX100CA @$199 (insert more GAS sound here)

I'm more of a traditional style guitar (you won't find a flying V on my wall), but whatever floats your boat is cool. The point is, I think these guys have given you some great advice. After you do a little suggested research on the amp, you might end up agreeing with them.

M29
December 16th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Hello,

I ordered an Ibanez ARX100CA and thought it was a pretty nice guitar, the thing was flawless and the neck played nice. I did end up sending it back thought as I went around to check the tightness of all the screws I found one of the bridge screws stripped in the wood. This is a pretty easy fix but I decided to put a little more money in and get a semi hollow body guitar. I wanted a humbucking guitar but I plan to build a solid body down the road and I will never be able to afford a ES335 so I bought an inexpensive semi hollow body instead.

I would recommend the Ibanez ARX100CA though I would have been happy with it.

M29

warren0728
December 16th, 2007, 10:34 AM
i've got 2 ibanez guitars...an ibanez artcore afs75t series hollowbody that i think is incredible...and an ibanez gax30tr model solid body doublecut with dual humbuckers...the artcore is almost perfect and the gax is a nice guitar but suffers from fret sprout but i haven't had time to file them down.....i also have a peavy (1980's strat knockoff) that is excellent too....stays in tune even when using the tremelo....both brands put out good quality inexpensive guitars

what amp did you decide to get?

ww

duhvoodooman
December 16th, 2007, 11:00 AM
If your budget is more spend it on a better amp though. Many around here feel that the amp is the more important part of the tonal equation.
:master: Amen, bruddah!

You can get a very decent guitar for a couple of hundred or so; put the extra $$ toward a better amp. That's "sound" advice! :D

deevo117
December 16th, 2007, 11:38 AM
alright according to my parents, if I can wait until next month to order, I'll get more money to spend on my amp because of adding birthday money I will probably get.

Total spending will probably be around $650-800

depending on the money I get

so probably spend $200-300 on a guitar, rest on Amp?

If that Ibanez is still in stock by then... which I'm kinda doubting right now... I'll be set.

I could always go with a Xaviere or Agile though, they look amazing, and based on some reviews I've been reading they sound pretty nice too.

Has anyone used Crate Amps/Stacks successfully?
And I think with my price range, I might be able to get a good 60-75W Tube...

Katastrophe
December 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM
If you can round up $800.00, you'll have plenty for a great guitar and amp setup.

The Vox Valvetronix line is great, and there are several amps in the range that are suitable for gigging.

Remember 40 tube watts is a lot louder than 40 solid state watts. A 40 watt tube amp should be plenty loud for gigging and would fit your needs well, IMO.

F_BSurfer
December 16th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Might get slammed for this but if you get a chance check out the Peavey bandit I think for the money it is a great amp its solid state, its rock solid ,sounds awesome and takes pedals good!!!!!!!!!

Sblack
December 16th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Might get slammed for this but if you get a chance check out the Peavey bandit I think for the money it is a great amp its solid state, its rock solid ,sounds awesome and takes pedals good!!!!!!!!!
+1 :AOK:

The Peavey Bandit, especially if you find a Bandit II made in USA (2001-2005), is a versatile, loud, tone filled amp. They sound great. I used to have one and sold it to get a Fender Deluxe which I no longer have. I regret selling the Bandit every day.

deevo117
December 16th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Alright, if the Peavey Bandit is the "Transtube Technology" one I have played on one and it was amazing, but I tried looking for those last week and I can't find them anywhere.

I might get a Valvetronix, that's what my friend uses and he sounds incredible through it....they are really pricey though.

Has anyone played the Peavey Valveking or Pignose tubes?

They seem like great deals but I could be missing something...

Also is there like a Tube Watt to Solid State Watt ratio or anything?

Thanks.

Spudman
December 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM
You can find some great deals on Bandits on the auction site. Definitely a good amph. Neil Zaza used one for quite a while and he doesn't suck.

just strum
December 16th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I might get a Valvetronix, that's what my friend uses and he sounds incredible through it....they are really pricey though.

Thanks.

Deevo, what do you plan on spending on the amp? I wouldn't consider the Valvetronix line pricey. The 50w sells for $379 and the 100w for $579. I'm not sure if the Valvetronix is what you want for you plan on using it for, I'll let the more knowledgeable make recommendations on that, but I wouldn't rule it out based on price.

You have time to decide and you keep reading this thread and you will have at least a dozen options - it's never easy, but it's fun.

deevo117
December 16th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah I love this site, it's like talking to the pros, and I've only been here a few days.

I was looking at the XL Models, my bad.....

Alright the 50W Valvetronix is in my price range and it seems like it could probably survive the gig as well, but I'm not even worried about that anymore, I don't really care about a school club gigs we have like 3 guitarists in each band anyway.

Does it matter if I get the 1x12 or 2x12 model? Is there a big difference?

I do want something powerful and great sounding though. Valvetronix is pretty promising. My friend/teacher uses the 100W and There's no surprise he lights the floor up when he uses it.

I might even be able to put more into guitar money if the Ibanez is sold out by then. I asked Music123 to lower their price on the Ibanez in case MF runs out of stock. They have a guarantee that they lower prices even though it might take long. I have enough time though.

After watching more videos, I still think the Agile AL-3000 models and higher are the best bang for the buck.

Thanks guys, for all your great advice.

Anyone else planning on buying something now? HOLIDAY SEASON!!

pes_laul
December 17th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Deevo have you looked at line 6 amps? thir vettas got some really sweet tones and they now got a spider tube amp for a reasonably price

t_ross33
December 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Have you seen the (http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvsomaflma.html) new (http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvcamatose.html) Xavieres (http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvthcubafl.html)? If the quality is anything like my XV600, they're a lot of guitar for the money.

Oh, and thanks for the GAS - those thinlines look increadible!:greenguitar::drool::beavisnbutthead:

Ro3b
December 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Yeah, and this is a mighty sweet-looking creature too:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-50206111187217_1981_10236496

If there were a version available with P90s, I'd already have one on the way.

sunvalleylaw
December 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM
ARRRRRRGGGHHHHH! Where's my Beano!

pes_laul
December 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM
ARRRRRRGGGHHHHH! Where's my Beano!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

fendermojoman
December 18th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Given your circumstances I would probably lighten up on the AMP or,
buy a used amp and spend some more $$$ on a guitar.
You couldn't go wrong with a Agile AL3000 from Rondomusic.net. It's a beautiful Les Paul Clone w/ ebony fretboard, real Abalone inlay and Alinco 5 Humbuckers at $379.
You can get a really decent amp (i.e. Line6 75w Spider lll) for just under $300
or somthing similar that would gig decently. :) :)