PDA

View Full Version : Playing barre chords - beginner lesson

Robert
December 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM
You guys all know this probably - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-63.php

It's a beginner lesson on how to play barre chords. What do you think of this lesson? I added myself talking at the beginning and at the end of the lesson. It's the first time I've done that. Yay or nay? I know I'm not that pretty to look at. :D

Justaguyin_nc
December 15th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I thought this was very clear and helpful Robert. Your voice is very calm and comes across in a friendly manor which makes learning easier. There was a strange noise when the Chord Pictures appear.. but that was about the only flaw in the whole thing.. Im glad your not pretty..hate thinking of a guy as pretty...:thwap:

Also, the "cheat?" on the chords.. barring with your ring finger is helpful to keep in mind.. thank you.. The more I read tabs.. the more I realize how just a few strings make the chord sound right and easier to play... least for rock and roll...

keep them comming...
:AOK:

just strum
December 15th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Amazing timing:master: . I've been practicing a number of new chords today and started getting into barre chords and have been struggling a little. Oh who am I kidding, I've been struggling a lot.

Definitely going to make use of this video.

Hmm, maybe a new guitar would help:whatever:

ted s
December 15th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Nicely done Robert, like Justa says, calm and friendly. You make a great instructor.

Robert
December 16th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Not sure why that noise showed up there. Oh well.

Is it better to have them as this one, with me talking at the beginning at the end with my face on the screen, or is it better to just cut the crap and show the guitar neck and fingers right away, like most of my other videos?

Justaguyin_nc
December 16th, 2007, 08:44 AM
To me personally.. I like having someone talk a bit first and after with their face instead of their chest and guitar... dunno why.. again.. breaks the ice and sets up the lesson I guess....

oldguy
December 16th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Very nice lesson, Robert. I'd say the shots w/ you talking, introducing yourself, explaining the lesson, adds a nice personal touch, as though the student were there w/ you learning. :AOK:
Barre chords... what a great idea for the lesson. When I began learning them, it opened up an entirely new avenue in playing adventures for me. A lot of songs I play are mostly chords. I still struggle w/ some shapes, and stretches, but barre chords are definitely a most important facet of becoming a good player.
The tip about lowering the thumb on the back of the neck......kudos!!
These small things make a big difference, and you having the foresight to remember to include them in the lesson are what makes the difference between an average lesson, and a great one.
You've given students the tools here for a powerful advancement in their playing...... if they'll only practice, practice, practice, and make use of it.
Thank you.

Guitar Gal
December 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the lesson on barre chords Robert :AOK: I like that you added the sections of yourself talking to the camera in the beginning and at the end.....felt more personal.

Also liked the tip to use the third finger to barre. I'll have to try this out :D Another good point you made was about thumb placement on the neck. A good reminder on proper form for all.

You are an excellent teacher Robert :dude: You have a calming voice and go slow enough with your examples so people can understand what you are doing. Can't wait for your blues DVD :DR

GG

luvmyshiner
December 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Very nice Robert, I wouldn't change a thing. I especially like the way you flip everyone the finger about half way through the video.:rotflmao:

warren0728
December 16th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I especially like the way you flip everyone the finger about half way through the video.:rotflmao:
lol...i busted out laughing when i saw that too! :D

One thing that might be helpful would be to start at the first fret with one fingering and then work your way up the fretboard and telling them what each chord is....e, f, f#, g, etc....

ww

pes_laul
December 17th, 2007, 02:57 PM
hey robert when you do these videos do you write a "script" sort of for what to say or do you just make up what you say as you go?

Robert
December 17th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I kind of make it up as I go, but I try to think ahead a bit about what I'm gonna cover. Why, do I seem particularly out to lunch or? :D

pes_laul
December 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM
no it's just you never stutter or said um or uh a lot which if that was me I'd be like "you put this um.. finger here uhh... then you play these strings err......" and so on

Robert
December 17th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Well I do edit the videos... and I remove a lot of the uhms... when you do video, you can do that same thing over and over while the camera is rolling, because you know you can cut out the bad parts.

just strum
December 17th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Robert, I noted at the beginning of thread that this was good timing as I was attempting to do some barre chords. Well, I believe this video helped me get to my goal a little quicker and maybe added some needed determination.

THANKS!!!

pes_laul
December 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM
wow I wish I would of known that when I took media class in school:thwap:

sunvalleylaw
December 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I thought the lesson was very good and agree with all what the others, and Oldguy, have said. I just learned some of this in the last few months working on some songs, and esp. recently. the tips really help. I can do them, but am still getting there. From here, I started learning about 7ths and 6ths, etc. which for some reason made more sense to me when I was learning barre chords. I don't know why. I like the intro and conclusion. It is personal, and helps keep the point of the lesson in mind. The only thing I might add is a quick take of you using the technique in a funky rhythm or something, Just before or after the intro to hook the student into working the technique.
Very nice lesson, Robert. I'd say the shots w/ you talking, introducing yourself, explaining the lesson, adds a nice personal touch, as though the student were there w/ you learning. :AOK:
Barre chords... what a great idea for the lesson. When I began learning them, it opened up an entirely new avenue in playing adventures for me. A lot of songs I play are mostly chords. I still struggle w/ some shapes, and stretches, but barre chords are definitely a most important facet of becoming a good player.
The tip about lowering the thumb on the back of the neck......kudos!!
These small things make a big difference, and you having the foresight to remember to include them in the lesson are what makes the difference between an average lesson, and a great one.
You've given students the tools here for a powerful advancement in their playing...... if they'll only practice, practice, practice, and make use of it.
Thank you.

pes_laul
December 18th, 2007, 05:08 PM
hey robert mine wouldn't play all of it but you know how you use the E chord then barre the other strings with your index finger. if you wanted to do a barre chord on the A string would it look like this
---0---
---0---
---2---
---2---
---2---
---0---
I think thats how you play a A chord then you would just bar the other strings?

so If I wanted to play a C it would look like this

-------
---3---
---5---
---5---
---5---
---3---
I think thats how you would bar it down there I'm not sure though do you play the E string (low)

Robert
December 18th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Are you asking me or telling me? You are correct either way, except the A chord doesn't use an open E string.

pes_laul
December 18th, 2007, 05:50 PM
ok thanks