PDA

View Full Version : My Winter Blues Lead Attempt

Robert
March 13th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Here's my quick take tonight. I used my Squier '51 and the AD50VT on the UK70 setting, with gain all the way, volume at 2 o'clock, bass at 10 o'clock, mid at 11 o'clock and treble at 1 o'clock. I miked the amp at very low volume (trying to let the baby sleep, but it failed anyhow) with my Shure SM 57. I borrowed a Squier Bronco bass from my friend Myra, so I threw in a bass line here to try and get some better groove.

Spudman
March 13th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Very cool. Just what I was going to play. I guess I'll try to do something a bit different. Ok, I was going to play something different than that any way.
Very tasty Robert, very tasty indeed.

SuperSwede
March 14th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Very nice Robert!
I can think of several worse things for the baby to wake up to :D

duhvoodooman
March 14th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Hey, no fair! Nobody should be that good around here!! ;)

Seriously, that was outstanding, Robert. Thanks for showing us "how it's done!" Always great to hear from a real pro!

P.S. Hope the baby got back to sleep quickly....

warren0728
March 14th, 2006, 06:23 AM
ok robert....just listened to your "take" and i have only one thing to say...

GUITARS FOR SALE......CHEAP, plus assorted amps and pedals!

Just kidding....i'm not really going to quit....just makes we want to play more to get better.

Really nice stuff robert.

ww

warren0728
March 14th, 2006, 06:28 AM
robert....do you always record through a mike? I really like the sound quality. I think i am going to get a mic and experiment.

ww

Tim
March 14th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Robert – Now that’s what I call playing the “Blues”. I appreciate you explaining what settings you used on your Vox. It helps us newbies in finding a starting point. The sound and tone where excellent, especially if it was done with only the amplifier and no stomp pedals. Hopefully I will be able to play some where near that good.

tot_Ou_tard
March 14th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Really nice Robert.

Re: miking amps.

I recently saw Taj Mahal live. I have always loved his music. He miked a small Fender amp, the cover looked liked tweed so I guess this was a Fender Tweed of some sort. He played a Sebring hollow or semihollow body guitar. I never heard of the brand before. It sounded superb.

He'd hit a note & let it ring out while grinning and excitedly making a shimmering motion with his hands. Really nice tone.

Robert
March 14th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks guys, glad you like it. I always mic my amp, yes, because it sounds so much better. If I had a POD, maybe I wouldn't need to mic the amp, but the line out on the Vox leaves me very cold.

Yeah, miking a small Fender amp seems to be common with blues players. Fender Pro Junior/Blues Junior/Tweed Champ or similar and a mic are common live setups it seems.

duhvoodooman
March 14th, 2006, 09:30 AM
I always mic my amp, yes, because it sounds so much better.
I just ordered one of those $20 Behringer XM8500's so I can try recording with a mic. Couldn't justify $90 for an SM-57 for my modest & infrequent needs, but this should serve the purpose more than adequately. Though I thought the quality from the line out on my AD30VT was decent, there's no doubt that it doesn't sound as good as what comes out of the amp speaker.

Guitar-Chris
March 14th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Wow! Robert tell us: Where can we buy your record? :R

Very nice recording, this is how I like the blues. Well done and very inspiring for me.

Now I have to practise... ;)

Robert
March 14th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Glad you like it Chris! I do have a plan to record something more "complete", meaning with vocals and all. When I'll have the time to do this is a different question...

MagicBaller21
March 14th, 2006, 08:36 PM
great job, you are too good robert. i keep waiting for some slide stuff, all mine slide stuff sounds like crap. your recording is inspiring for me to try to play some blues stuff! i love that you can bust out really great sounds with budget gear, it gives hope to those of us budget guitar players!

Justaguyin_nc
March 15th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Can't wait for the DVD to come out so I can watch those licks Robert... Nice job...Brought a Canadian Mist to my eye.... I , like Spud was going to play about the same too... well, I was gonna start with the E note though and see what happened next... that is what you did right? ;)

Robert
March 15th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Yep, you got it!

... well, I was gonna start with the E note though and see what happened next... that is what you did right? ;)