PDA

View Full Version : Annoying obligatory password change

elavd
December 17th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Robert today I tried to login to thefret and my password was not valid anymore...

I thought that maybe I did something wrong, so I asked for a password reset.
So I reset my password in order to be able to login to my profile and change it back to my classic "all-time-favorite" password.

But I got this annoying message:
"Sorry, you may not use a password that you have used in the past 1500 days."

Is this a security setting of this board or it's a mistake of mine?

Ro3b
December 17th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I got the same thing about a month ago. Goodness knows I don't want any unscrupulous characters sneaking in and making unauthorized posts in my name on the Fret! I know they're all out there working on figuring out my password even as I'm typing this. Thank GOD I had to change it.

tot_Ou_tard
December 17th, 2007, 06:26 AM
I got the same thing about a month ago. Goodness knows I don't want any unscrupulous characters sneaking in and making unauthorized posts in my name on the Fret! I know they're all out there working on figuring out my password even as I'm typing this. Thank GOD I had to change it.
err..... is it

r0B3 ?

:D

oldguy
December 17th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Haven't seen that before........curious........

tot_Ou_tard
December 17th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I had to change mine too. It surprised me, but didn't bother me.

I think it said that the password needs to be changed every 200 days.

For appropriate values of 200.

Robert
December 17th, 2007, 08:36 AM
It's a security feature. It may be annoying be rest assured it's for the good of all us.

Spudman
December 17th, 2007, 02:46 PM
If I end up having to change mine I'll be sending box of fresh cow **** to Camrose. :reallymad: :D

just strum
December 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM
That's one I haven't heard of. So, how long do you get to keep your password before it is expired?

Security is such a big thing these days that I can deal with this one. Just the other day I had a couple of guys from al-Qaeda trying to steal my ATM password. They weren't the brightest, still wearing their al-Qaeda Bowling Team shirts when they attempted to steal my password.

elavd
December 17th, 2007, 05:56 PM
It's a security feature. It may be annoying be rest assured it's for the good of all us.

Ok I understand it, but I wish I could keep my old password...:rolleyes:

Justaguyin_nc
December 17th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Anything that helps secure the forum must be a good thing..

I kinda have a side question to this though..

If I attempt to gain access here using my old passwrd.. is this not logged into a regular text file that says a person tried to loggin unsuccessfully and then shows the password they used in a documented log file?

Sorry..Im very very old school.. and that is how it use to work.. at which point people would get the logfiles and then have access to OLD passwords that those same people probably use elsewhere...

Robert
December 17th, 2007, 09:06 PM
The time between password changes are 180 days. You can't reuse a password you've used within the last 365 days.