PDA

View Full Version : Jay Turser Cleopatra semi-hollow

M29
December 17th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Hello,

I have been playing and checking over my Jay Turser Cleopatra semi hollow body I just got and I have to say I am very pleased. I knew it was a big risk ordering this as I had a Les Paul copy of theirs and have read many mixed reviews. My Les Paul copy was actually very nice but had a bad tuning key a miss filed nut and a few finish blems but I actually liked the guitar pretty well but ended up selling it. It did have alpha pots in it too which is not too bad.
This guitar from what I have read and can see my self is probably an Eastwood Savanna with Turser humbuckings and stop tail piece. The quality on this guitar seems to be much better then on my Turser LP copy. The finish and binding is almost perfect and the neck plays great and was set up flat when I got it in perfect intonation. I have since adjusted the neck to give a .010 gap and have been monitoring it while the neck settles. The truss rod access under the cover was nice and clear when my Tursre LP copy had a ton of clear poly that I had to scrape out in order to get the wrench into the nut. I have always liked this body shape for something just a little different.
The pickups sound pretty good but have somewhat of a bark that I am curious about and I may end up changing them. (Any Suggestions)?

The overall sound is nice though and I am very happy with it. I may be able to get one... and I say one... Gibson down the road and I have been torn between the ES335 or Les Paul. After much distress, I decided to get a cheaper semi hollow and go for the Gibby LP down the road. So, I hope to have some fun with this and it looks pretty good and feels good to play so I am happy. The clear pickguard does have to go though. I may try painting it cream from behind and see what that looks like.

http://www.qix.net/~lmjbo/cleo.jpg

http://www.qix.net/~lmjbo/cleo2.jpg

M29

oldguy
December 17th, 2007, 08:52 AM
That's a sweet looking guitar, M29! I'll bet the 18w will make it sound great.
I like the clear PG myself (unless it gets all scratched up), it's nice to see that finish behind it, imo.
I'd read Turser was improving their build quality, looks like you got a good one!:D

Big K
December 17th, 2007, 09:32 AM
very nice bookmatched flame top, if it plays as well as it looks it should be a beast!

Brian Krashpad
December 17th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Congrats, looks great.

Clear pickguards bug me a smidge though. Had one on a DeArmond once. Took the guard off and spratypainted the underside white. Result is a white guard but since the color's on the back, it can't be scratched off.

Enjoy your new guitar!

warren0728
December 17th, 2007, 11:06 AM
very nice looking guitar....but i have to agree....the clear pickguard doesn't do it for me....

ww

M29
December 17th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Hello,

Thank you for the kind words on my Turser. I am thinking of maybe taking the clear pickguard off completely or maybe see if I can get another brand to fit. I don't mind the clear...I just know that it will get scratched up and then it will look real bad. I do like a guard thought I usually rest my fingers on it.

Thanks again all:rockon:

M29

Spudman
October 16th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Do you still have it M29? What happened to the pictures?
What are your thoughts on it after you've had it for a while?

M29
October 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Hello Spud,

Yeah I still have it and am very very happy with it, it is a joy to play and for a good price. I put my GFS P 90's in it and it improved the sound a great deal. The stock pickups were honky sounding and dull without any brightness. The GFS are much better but I would still like a bit more treble out of them. I have been thinking of putting 1meg pots in instead of the 500k pots, I can always back off the treble. The pots are mini Alpha's and I cannot for the life of me get a full size pot in the sound holes so I have just left it like it is which I am still (very very) happy with. A semi usually is more mellow anyway and this fits that well. I am used to a nice sparkly Strat:D

I am going to paint the back of the clear pickguard like Krash did, I have done this also before and it works great, like a brand new pickguard and no scratches.

I took a lot of pictures down as they have been up quite a while now. I reposted it here.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/10048fa3ebe23bb3.jpg

ted s
October 18th, 2008, 03:00 PM
She's a beauti M29, I missed the first photo, glad you reposted.

M29
October 18th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks ted s and all for the kind words.

Spudman
October 18th, 2008, 05:28 PM
She's a beauti M29, I missed the first photo, glad you reposted.

Ya, no doubt. Beautiful guitar. Thanks for putting up the photo.
I have a chance to get one at a considerably reduced price. I may have some serious thinking to do. I'm sorry I missed this thread the first time round.

What is the neck shape like?

M29
October 18th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Spud,

The neck shape I would think is a standard thin. I don't have a whole lot of experience with different shapes but this is what I would think it is. One thing that I do wish was different, is the width at the nut. It is pretty narrow compared to my Strat type guitars. It would be a little bit more comfortable if it was a little wider. It is 1.65 inches/41.68 mm at the nut. E to E is 1.36 inches/ 34.78 mm. After playing it for a while now it really does not bother me.

hagarfreak33
October 18th, 2008, 10:26 PM
nice looking guitar