PDA

View Full Version : Traynor amps-anybody else own one?

oldguy
December 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM
There are lots of great amphs out there, Traynor is one of my personal favorites.
Just wondering who else owns one, and what your impressions are, and what kind of luck you've had with yours.
If you don't own one, have you played one, which model, and what did you think?
My 40 watter is always the amph I "go back" to, for all around playing/versatility.

I've had my YCV-40 Anniversary for at least 5 yrs. I still love it. I put JJ tubes in it when it was fairly new, that's it. It's a channel switching 40w, w/ a boost function via footswitch, w/ 1x12" Celestion. It's light enough to lug around, loud enough to be heard, and, so far, very dependable. The clean and dirty channels both sound good, as does the reverb. The boost function on the dirty channel boosts the volume for leads, and is plenty loud, IMHO.
Also played the YCV-20, which is about 18w, uses EL84's as opposed to 6l6's, and it is a great little amp as well.
As is the YCV-50, which uses EL34's and gets a more "british" sound.
If I hit the lottery, I'd be going after the newer 100w head, with it's 3 channel configuration. Haven't got to play one yet, tho.
Another thing I like about the company...... they're built in Canada.....and all of them I've seen has great build quality.
Anybody?

duhvoodooman
December 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I've heard great things about Traynor's, but haven't had the opportunity to try one. They seem to be a bit scarce around these parts. Nice looking amps, too, esp. with that smooth red tolex....

Robert
December 17th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I tried that 100 watt, but I didn't like it much. It's like a high gain rectum-fryer Mesa-wannabe. The YCV-40 sounds much better for my needs.

oldguy
December 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I tried that 100 watt, but I didn't like it much. It's like a high gain rectum-fryer Mesa-wannabe. The YCV-40 sounds much better for my needs.

Thanks, Robert. That's what I like to hear (well, maybe didn't want to hear), but it'll save me trouble of looking for one to try out.
We don't have a Traynor dealership close w/ any new models anymore. :cry:

ted s
December 17th, 2007, 05:32 PM
My first amp, still have it, was is a TS15, solid state, 15 watts, 2 input, bass & treble with a high/low/med switch, 2-8". It's been a great little amp, it's almost 30 years old now !? It's nothing special, just a neat little practice amp I got in '79.
Actually, until I started hanging out here, it was the only amp I had. What's the deal with that ?

Algonquin
December 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
It's nice to hear good feedback on a Canadian product. These amps are built not to far from me in Pickering Ontario.

I don't really need a new amp, my old Jazzasaurus is still going strong after all these years.

I did start looking into these recently after chatting with a fellow fretter and think that one of these days a Traynor may find its way into my basement.

Here's a clip from the ycv40 off of their website.
http://www.traynoramps.com/audio/sounds/ycv40/chimey.html

To me, this sounds absolutely :AOK: ... what a great clean sound!

gpower
January 3rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
I've owned a YCV-20 for a couple of years now. When I first got it I replaced the tubes with JJs from eurotube. Made a big differnce in headroom and tone. Later I replaced the stock Rocket 50 with a custom voiced Weber ceramic Blue Dog. That made a huge difference in everything from output level to tonal characteristics. I now wouldn't trade the little monster for anything. It goes from chimey articulate cleans to creamy OD.

I've just been able to spend some time with the new Custom Special 50 and all I can say is, WOW! If there is any reason to have anything more than my little 20, it will definately be this amp.

Algonquin
January 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM
GP, where you able to run the amp at the 15w output level? And if you did, were you able to get a good crunch out of it at a reasonable volume.

Thanks in advance!

:beer: