PDA

View Full Version : Sad....and its funny too!

LagrangeCalvert
December 19th, 2007, 01:23 AM
I think - er - I dunno....OK..:messedup:

I have my two main axes...a strat and a LP special 2...both modded to the hilt. Now for the dumb part. The more I really dig in at the studio spending loads and loads of time writing, playing, listening, playing more...picking up both guitars..playing the same riffs on them playing more....listening...

I think you get the point.

I have came to the conclusion that I'm a Gibson kind of Guy...not fender and to you people you might be like :AOK: good job ya goob WTH are you getting at. I really really like my strat but the more I play it then play me shorter scale Epi..the more I don't want to play it. WHAT DO I DO? Do I just suck it up, keep playing the Strat OR sell it or save up for a Gibson or other brand guitar? I know ultimately its my decision but I've grown accustomed to all y'all opinions cause I respect you all as peers and friends! I dunno maybe I need some :beer: and :pancake: ..... that being said I'm stuck and I don't know what to do:confused:

Plank_Spanker
December 19th, 2007, 06:52 AM
I'm a Gibson guy, myself - with three Strats in the house. Hang on to your Strat. Sometimes, only a Strat is good enough......................:D

sunvalleylaw
December 19th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Yeah, play what you like but hang on to it. That super strat you made was at one point was your one guitar quiver, so I am sure it still has a place in your arsenal.

Spudman
December 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM
If it's paid for keep it. Eventually you'll want it and it will be there for you. IF it's gone then your are S.O.L.
What if some local producer says "I love the way you play and I'm doing an album with Michael Bolton. Will come over and play some Knopfleresque tones on 8 of the tracks? What are you gonna do?

Tone2TheBone
December 19th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Keep the Strat and then get a Tele too! IMO the Tele is a perfect companion to a Les Paul in terms of weight, sound and the added versatility of playing "Fender" tones when you really want them. You can also play some rockin' stuff on a Tele too. It might be that you prefer the sound of the Gibsons over the Fenders cause if you really loved the Strat sound you'd never have written this thread. But then your Strat really isn't a "Strat" anymore with your mods. Yup you really don't like the "Fender" sound do you. :)

Brian Krashpad
December 19th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I'm not necessarily a Gibson guy, but at the same time, of the "big 3" guitar icons (Strat, Tele, LP), I've fallen out of love with Strats, and much prefer an LP or Tele type guitar.

That being said, having one of a given type is not necessarily mutually exclusive of having others. Remember, you'll hopefully have a long guitar-playing life ahead of you, and unless funds are and remain really tight, there's no reason you can't keep an inexpensive Strat around while saving up for a Gibson LP or whatever else may float your boat, or sell the Strat for the time being and pick up another cheapie later.

That's sorta what I've done. Even though I'm not a "Strat guy," still there are some things that a Strat does that other guitars don't (particularly the "quack" voicings of the 2 and 4 pup positions), and I like to have one to have something with a hippy stick to do some mild trem work also.

So what I do is keep an inexpensive Strat on hand (most recently, first a MIM Fender, followed by a Peavey USA Predator after I sold the Fender), but I also have plenty of other guitars in the LP and Tele camps. If some great deal that I need to raise funds for comes along, I can always sell the inexpensive Strat and get another one later.

LagrangeCalvert
December 19th, 2007, 02:04 PM
good advice....keep it and save up. Thats what I thought too BUUUUUUT I have gas bad for a LP or a new Melody Maker (with two single coils) and funds are MORE than tight!

LagrangeCalvert
December 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
But then your Strat really isn't a "Strat" anymore with your mods. Yup you really don't like the "Fender" sound do you. :)

Oh I love the fender sound...this was my only axe for a while and thats why I had to make it versatile...then I made the LP Special 2 what it is.

Its not the strat sound I don't like....since I have been playing every day now for 6-8 hours and switching between axes I don't like the scale length and feel, but I love the sound. Since I have the Neck on switch and single coils on the end I can still get the quack...the bucker in the middle is nice and mellow, think neck pup with just a little more brite on a Paul. The single coils are nice and hot but since the pole pieces are huge the sound is nice and fat also.

So its the scale length, string tension, string spacing and overall feel. The strat sound is killer....I have it there. Your standard "quack", a neck and a bridge single coil. I put the Seymour Duncan JB mini hum in the middle cause I hardly ever use the middle position single coil <---reminds me of the Pole we did on what position in a 5 way we use :D so I got versatile sounds and a great axe that has never broken a string (LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree and saddles.) all in all I have sunk a crap load of money in it, but the more I play it the less I like it. I dunno guys...but I agree that I should keep it (after talking to you guys) so thats what I will do and save up for another axe.

Bloozcat
December 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Hang on to the Strat.

At some point down the road after not having played it for awhile, you'll re-discover it. And you'll be amazed at the tones you hear that you don't remember hearing before. It's funny how that happens...

Spudman
December 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Hang on to the Strat.

At some point down the road after not having played it for awhile, you'll re-discover it. And you'll be amazed at the tones you hear that you don't remember hearing before. It's funny how that happens...

+1 Exactly. You'll also think 'man this plays great. What was I thinking?' :rockon:

warren0728
December 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM
hang on to the strat if you must....but i would trade it for a nice tele... :AOK:

ww

pie_man_25
December 19th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I'm a fender guy myself, but at the same time, Gibson makes good stuff too, why should you have to decide, besides, maybe you should sell you're les paul and get maybe an agile or something a little more substantial.

Tone2TheBone
December 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM
LG - I know how awesome the LP scale feels. It was my first electric and I was so comfortable with it. I hated Strats in high school I hated them. I couldn't play them and "had no use for them" simply because I was so used to my Les Paul it was so easy to play. Of course now it's a different story....but if this is how you feel then by all means sell man sell. Get another sweet LP and Merry Christmas dude. :)

duhvoodooman
December 20th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Keep the Strat. You may like playing the LP/Gibson short-scale better, but tonally, the two guitars are S-O-O-O different. There are going to be times when you need that Strat tone, for one reason or another.

LagrangeCalvert
December 20th, 2007, 10:41 AM
yeah....Im keeping it BUT im saving up for a Melody maker.

And trust me....the LP special 2 has a ton of substance ;)

The strat is a great guitar for certain things.... And so is the LP....I guess Im gonna have to pony up and just love the strat tones and deal with the scale length and feel.

warren0728
December 20th, 2007, 11:05 AM
the LP special 2 has a ton of substance
my lp special is one of my favs!! :greenguitar:

a melody maker would be a nice addition... :whatever:

ww

Spudman
December 20th, 2007, 11:50 AM
The strat is a great guitar for certain things.... And so is the LP....I guess Im gonna have to pony up and just love the strat tones and deal with the scale length and feel.

Try some Ernie Ball Slinky strings and it will change the feel a bit.

Tone2TheBone
December 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Better yet put some DR Tite Fits on that Strat. Size 10s feel like 9s and 9s feel like 8s. They're looser feeling but sound damn good I use them on my A440 tuned guitars. That will make the Strat feel better.

sunvalleylaw
December 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM
LG - I know how awesome the LP scale feels. It was my first electric and I was so comfortable with it. I hated Strats in high school I hated them. I couldn't play them and "had no use for them" simply because I was so used to my Les Paul it was so easy to play. . . . :)

Interesting. This newb started with a strat, and that feels right to me. I have played around on Spudman's Epi LP, which is a nice guitar, and it felt weird at first. Still, I think you should keep the strat, just because coming back to it might make you approach playing differently at some point. Some guy I jammed with once tried out my strat, stating that he was an LP scale (I think) humbucker guy and did not really favor strats. He got into it on mine though, and after ripping for a while, handed it back over and gave me a positive nod, saying that it made him approach his playing differently. He plays harder stuff that falls in the categories of metal, alternative, punk and related, and is a good player.

Spudman
December 20th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Better yet put some DR Tite Fits on that Strat. Size 10s feel like 9s and 9s feel like 8s. They're looser feeling but sound damn good I use them on my A440 tuned guitars. That will make the Strat feel better.

Ya, that's what I'm getting at.

LagrangeCalvert
December 20th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I use D'Addario's .0095 thru .044 on the strat and Ernie ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom's on the LP.....also I still need to post some good pics of both (esp the fretboard of the LP) and that wasn't a defensive shot at you Pie Man when I said my Special 2 was substantial dude. Its just with all the mods and I mean MAJOR mods it plays like a guitar worth 1000 dollars more than it was bought for. Its not me trying to brag but its like that redneck muscle car that looks like its gonna break down then just totally rips up your Corvette. The Strat on the other hand is not a stealth machine. With the white PG and the Black knobs and PUP's and and all the other bells and whistles you know it means business.

TS808
December 20th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I use D'Addario's .0095 thru .044 on the strat and Ernie ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom's on the LP.....also I still need to post some good pics of both (esp the fretboard of the LP) and that wasn't a defensive shot at you Pie Man when I said my Special 2 was substantial dude. Its just with all the mods and I mean MAJOR mods it plays like a guitar worth 1000 dollars more than it was bought for. Its not me trying to brag but its like that redneck muscle car that looks like its gonna break down then just totally rips up your Corvette. The Strat on the other hand is not a stealth machine. With the white PG and the Black knobs and PUP's and and all the other bells and whistles you know it means business.

My thoughts exactly. For a while I was stringing up my Agiles with 10's and my strats with either 9.5's or 9's. I've been really playing my Agiles alot lately, but I would never get rid of my strats.

My tastes vary from time to time, and right now, while I'm liking the Agiles, I may hear some song tomorrow with that strat tone and then be playing my strats more.

Plus, it's nice to have the ability to jump between different guitars depending on what you want to play.

Think of it as having more weapons in your arsenal.

TS808
December 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM

These are what I'm using on my strats now too, and definitely they have a much looser feel than any other string I've used. I love the tone of these strings too.

LagrangeCalvert
December 21st, 2007, 01:58 AM
DR lites eh? Can you give me some price points and and is DR its own company? My only complaint is the D'Addario's do not last near as long as my Ernie Balls. Neither go out of tune easy though and (knock on wood) I have broke 1 string in a year of hard playing and gigging (on the LP...BEFORE I got the Graphite saddles and roller nut...when I first bought it) and never broke one on my strat.

That being said how do the DR's durability look?

Thanks for the talking me out of selling the strat. I'm currently saving for a Melody Maker (thankfully my B-Day is this Sat. - the 22nd...and X-mas is right around the corner) to have some more single coil love with a Gibson feel. That guitar will need major modding also :D you guys see a pattern developing here....I mod every Guitar I have.