PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever used a Fender Stage 112 SE?

birv2
December 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Got a chance to buy one and it's what I can afford. Good ratings on HC, and most of the reviews say it's as close to tube as SS gets. Supposed to have that real fender clean, which is what I want. I figure I can get overdrive from a pedal.

Sorry for all these questions, but I want to make sure Santa gets the right request!

Bob

oldguy
December 20th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Got a chance to buy one and it's what I can afford. Good ratings on HC, and most of the reviews say it's as close to tube as SS gets. Supposed to have that real fender clean, which is what I want. I figure I can get overdrive from a pedal.

Sorry for all these questions, but I want to make sure Santa gets the right request!

Bob

Ummm...... sounds like you've kinda decided already.:D
I've never played one, but a few country bands around here used them because they didn't have to mess with changing and biasing tubes. They sounded good w/ the 'verb cranked up.
How much is it goin' for?

birv2
December 20th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Ummm...... sounds like you've kinda decided already.:D
I've never played one, but a few country bands around here used them because they didn't have to mess with changing and biasing tubes. They sounded good w/ the 'verb cranked up.
How much is it goin' for?

Actually haven't decided QUITE yet. With shipping, it's going to be around 230. And that might be too much at this point, at least for that amp. The fact that country bands use it doesn't inspire me -- nothing against country, but I'm at the blues end of the spectrum.:dude:

Thanks for the input, OG.

Bob

oldguy
December 20th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Ah yes, I see. The extra info is helpful.
I haven't played one of these, either, but you might want to check one out if there is a dealer in your area. I would think it would be a better blues machine, being tube, and having more tonal control than the ValveJr .

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5H-and-BH112-Half-Stack?sku=483078

You can get the head alone for $150, free shipping.

birv2
December 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Looks interesting! I'd be a bit worried about having enough volume for jams though. Have you played one or know anyone who has? Only one review over at HC.

Thanks for the tip. Definitely worth considering.

Bob

oldguy
December 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM
No, I haven't played one. 5w can be pretty loud, but you'd probably want to actually play it to get an idea of how loud. I have the 5w Valve Jr. head, and it was crazy loud even before I modded it. I played a 5w Fender Champion 600, however, and found it quite a bit quieter, although it sounded good.
You could mike it through a P.A., of course, but that's not always practical.
The smaller wattage cranked up loud should get some good, greasy blues tones going, I would think.

EDIT: Here are two threads.
The first one Spud put up even shows where you can get one for cheap and we (TheFret) gets credit. Cool!!!
Plus some soundclips, check it out.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4789
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4703

birv2
December 20th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the links. Looks pretty cool!

I had a the Epi VJ head, and it was pretty loud for 5W.

I guess at this point, I'm narrowing down to either this or the Pro Jr. The PJ is more portable, has 15W. But I do like what they're doing with the Blackheart. And it's hard not to love an amp with a name like that!:)

Thanks again,
Bob