PDA

View Full Version : Best Riff - Your thoughts

R_of_G
December 20th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Many many entertainment media outlets have generated lists of "greatest rock riffs." Often "Satisfaction" winds up at or near the top of this list. My question is, if you were on the panel which voted on this question, what would your pick be? [Let's make it interesting and try to limit ourselves to one pick each]

My choice would be "Moby Dick" by Led Zeppelin. It is instantly recognizable and makes a great riff to segue into so many other songs or jam possibilities.:rockon:

Bloozcat
December 20th, 2007, 07:33 AM
There are so many....

One that always ranks near the top for me is the dual lead parts in Hotel California, by The Eagles. There are plenty of others as well, but whenever I hear that song on the radio, I just have to crank up the volume when those leads start. Drives my wife nuts....:D

oldguy
December 20th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Right off the top of my head, I'd say that chunky riff to "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith.
But that fat brown sound on "Jamie's Cryin' " was pretty good, too.
When I first heard "Funk 49" that one got me. He!!, I can't pick just one.
You pick one and let me know how it turns out.........:rotflmao:
EDIT!!
I'm not awake yet!!! I completely for about Billy's great opening/repeating guitar crunch-orama on "La Grange" !!!:thwap:

Jimi75
December 20th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Just for fun, let me pick a metal riff:

Master Of Puppets by Metallica

:rockon:

R_of_G
December 20th, 2007, 07:40 AM
You pick one and let me know how it turns out.........:rotflmao:

I did pick one, and it turned out just great may it do ya fine.:dude:

oldguy
December 20th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Good one, Jimi! Most certainly ROCK that ROCKS!!:beer:

R_of_G
December 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM

As far as metal riffs go, that's among my favs as well. Good call Jimi.:rockon: :dude: :rockon:

SuperSwede
December 20th, 2007, 07:49 AM
The opening riff of "Whole Lotta Love" always works for me.. its a great party starter

wingsdad
December 20th, 2007, 08:08 AM
All of the Above.:D
Seriosuly...I gotta go with The Lick That Launched a Thousand Gits: Chuck Berry's intro to 'Johnny B. Goode'.
None of the Above may have happened without it.

Lev
December 20th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I'm lovin Icky Thump by the White Stripes - great riff!

Big K
December 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM
aside from the usual top 10 greatest riffs of all time i'm quite partial to the opening riffs of both The Ocean by Zep and Sweet Child of Mine by GnR....

Tone2TheBone
December 20th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Lev - The White Stripes are constantly playing on my iPod. Their songs have some really good riffs...simple yet they rock...what more could you ask for.

As for my favorite it's gotta be the intro to Izabella by Jimi Hendrix. The rest of the song is very riffy as well.

R_of_G
December 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM
As for my favorite it's gotta be the intro to Izabella by Jimi Hendrix. The rest of the song is very riffy as well.

Tone, the opening of Izabella is def among my fav of Jimi's riffs along with the Manic Depression riff which was the first of Hendrix's I learned to play.

Tone2TheBone
December 20th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Tone, the opening of Izabella is def among my fav of Jimi's riffs along with the Manic Depression riff which was the first of Hendrix's I learned to play.

Dude I love the double string bends in Manic!

just strum
December 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I don't know about greatest, but it makes me crank it up!!!
02z3gIg9lcQ

pes_laul
December 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Reptile by the church has a sweet one also the song sugar by system of a down is pretty catchy also the outro to chop suey by system of a down is pretty cool

oldguy
December 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I don't know about greatest, but it makes me crank it up!!!
02z3gIg9lcQ

Gee, Pop, you sure know your stuff......... I guess.........:D :beer: :AOK:

LowEndWonder
December 29th, 2007, 09:54 AM
This list could go on forever!
1. SGT. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
2. Brown Sugar, The Stones
3. The Ocean, Led Zep.

R_of_G
December 29th, 2007, 06:18 PM
This list could go on forever!
1. SGT. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
2. Brown Sugar, The Stones
3. The Ocean, Led Zep.

All fine choices.:dude:

GREENMACHINE
December 29th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Hey Guys
What about Eric Claptons electric version of Layla? And Led Zeppelins Black Dog.

Cheers
GREENMACHINE:rockon:

WTVintage
December 29th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Absolutely, Voodoo Child :O (one of my fav's) and Some Zepp's one's I'll select, Rock and Roll (to give only one..)

LowEndWonder
December 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Led Zeppelin's No Quarter Guitar riff is BA-BAD! A very powerful and strong riff.