PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the trigger on a Pro Jr

birv2
December 20th, 2007, 04:36 PM
After a lot of asking questions and thinking, I pulled the trigger on a Fender Pro Jr on ebay. Got it for $200 plus shipping. And really looking forward to getting it. I guess that means I've got a Vampire for sale...

Thanks to all who gave their input.

Bob
;)

pes_laul
December 20th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Congrats Birv we gotta get some clips man:poke:

Robert
December 20th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Congrats! That is a great sounding amp. I personally dig it more than the Blues JR (sorry all you Blues JR owners...).

oldguy
December 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Congrats on that amp, birv2!:beer:
Sounds like you got a good buy on it. I'll bet it'll sound good cranked up and wailin' the blues.:D

Tone2TheBone
December 20th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Rock that baby loud is my suggestion to you. Congrats!

Adrian30
December 20th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Congrats Birv. I'm sure you'll love it!

sunvalleylaw
December 21st, 2007, 12:15 AM
Congrats Birv2! Beat the Blues junior guys with the clips too! ;-)

M29
December 21st, 2007, 06:00 AM
That sounds like a sweet deal on a sweet amp:AOK:

M29

F_BSurfer
December 21st, 2007, 06:22 AM
congrats man,good deal too!! you will love it Mine is my most played amp

warren0728
December 21st, 2007, 06:28 AM
welcome to tube land....you're gonna love it!! :greenguitar:

ww

Brian Krashpad
December 21st, 2007, 08:16 AM
Congrats, enjoy!

Remember, tube amps sound best cranked. ;)

duhvoodooman
December 21st, 2007, 09:18 AM
These little Fender tube amps are great! I'm sure you're going to love your little tone machine! :AOK:

birv2
December 21st, 2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks to all for the good wishes. I can't wait to plug it in and let it rip.

From all I've read, it sounds like it's got what I'm looking for: simplicity (too many knobs confuses me), clean fender sound at lower volumes, bluesy overdrive at higher volumes, enough punch to work in small jams, and portability. A lot of the people at HC say that you have to replace the stock speaker and tubes, but we'll see.

We're going away for the holidays so I won't get to play with it till after Christmas.

Best of the season to all the fretters. Hope you're all on Santa's "nice" list!
:AOK:

Bob

Guitar Gal
December 21st, 2007, 10:35 AM
Congrats on the new amp birv2 :AOK: I'm sure you will enjoy it!

GG

birv2
January 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
I don't start work again till tomorrow. I knew it was coming by UPS today so I waited (im)patiently for Brown.

Finally came this afternoon and I just spent a blissful couple of hours in the basement playing away. Messed with all the settings (both knobs), turned it all the way up (almost broke the basement windows), then played with various OD pedals to see what sounded good.

First impressions:

1. It's loud for a little sucker.
2. Good chimey clean Fender tone.
3. Good natural overdrive.
4. Hums a lot. Read about this on several forums. There are some fixes that can be done. We'll wait on that for a bit.
5. Sounded better and better as the tubes warmed up.
6. It's light (29 pounds). Definitely good for taking to jams.
7. Sounded great with my Danelectro OD2 pedal and my Behringer OD100. Not so great with the Arion Tubulator (a TS clone).

Thanks for all the good wishes. Just wanted to report in. I've never made a sound clip, so we'll have to wait on that.

:rockon:

Bob

birv2
January 3rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
My Pro Jr came yesterday, and I took the little guy to the jam tonight. I am totally happy with it. First, I had the master volume at about 2:00 and my strat volume around 3 or 4. For solos I went to 6 or 7. No pedals. Everybody said I was cutting through great, and the tone was awesome. This is a smallish room with another guitarist, bass and drums.

And after reading up on fixing the hum, I removed one of the screws on the back and voila, no more hum. Seems it hits some metal on the inside on the newer Pro Jr's.

Just wanted to report back, since I got a lot of encouragement here to take the plunge. For $200, I've got a mean little blues machine. Alright!

Bob
:dude:

Robert
January 3rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
I know that amp. Killer tone awright! I want one too. Dang, how can I fool the wife this time?

birv2
January 11th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Jam #2 report --

Took the little guy out again last night to the blues jam. Got good comments all around on the tone (a couple of "awesome"s). Again, no probs cutting through the mix. It's great to have the confidence that you'll be heard and that you'll sound good. :bravo:

Another note -- I put it on a chair after reading someone somewhere who said, "You don't have ears in your ankles". Seems like good advice. I think the sound is better and it's definitely easier to tweak those two knobs at that height. Not that I needed to -- I kept the volume around 9 and the tone on 5, and changed my sound with different pickup choices on my strat. I'm becoming a big believer in "simpler is better". I find even the blues jr has too many options for me!

Bob

Tone2TheBone
January 11th, 2008, 09:41 AM
That's awesome Birv. I love the little Fender amps and that 15 watts kills. Congrats again...it sounds like you're having a blast with that baby.