PDA

View Full Version : 12 string suggestions

tjcurtin1
December 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM
My brother is thinking of hunting for a new 12-string - thought I'd ask if anyone has any favorites/suggestions.

t_ross33
December 20th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Lookee here: :D http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5174

tjcurtin1
December 21st, 2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks, T - as it happens, he's looking to replace a Yamaha! He's looked at a Taylor that he liked, but I thought someone might know of something great that we might not think to check out.

Childbride
December 22nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
we have 2. a J28S12DL and a D46S12, both Washies.

the J28 came from Rocket. her name is Storm. she is a sweet boomer, and she is usually the last guitar i play at night. i usually end off my night's practicing with a little America or Eagles, and she just sings to me.

the D46, though, she's a special girl, too. she has a different voice, more... ok, say like this. sometimes, you can say a lot more by singing than shouting. she sings. heck, i wish i'd played longer, i feel like a first time wine taster. she's a beautiful, beautiful guitar as well.

my suggestion is to go play some... test drive. :D :beer:

tjcurtin1
December 31st, 2007, 12:02 PM
Well, we hit 5 music stores and a Guild F512 was the standout by far - it's a jumbo and just had the richest sound among those he played, with nice string spacing for finger-style playing - a couple of Taylors and a Martin were the closest match at that level - but he also played some $500 - $600 range Washburns, Fenders and a Seagull. Last stop is to the Music Emporium in Lexington, MA, which is all top-of-the-line and hand-mades, just as a final check. I on the other hand was wowed by a Larrivee, which I will adress in another post....

Duff
February 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Samick makes one I want to get for 250. Not electric. Just a plain dreadnought. Sounds superior to guitars costing far more.

Check it out if you can, I bet you'll be impressed. Looks great too. Has a fabulous neck.

pes_laul
February 2nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
make sure to check out a shecter ACS-elite 12 My dad owns one of those and its one of the nicest Ive played and they go for about 400 bucks

Radioboy950
February 2nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
I'm just gonna throw this out here for fun...If $$ wasn't an issue...
One of the best guitars I've ever played in my life was a Gibson-335 12.
One of the coolest instruments ever made. Beautiful tone and sustain forever.
I practiced and gigged with one for a long time, before I had to give it back to my buddy:mad: