PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha FG 260 12 String

sunvalleylaw
December 20th, 2007, 10:34 PM
My paralegal's daughter has a Yamaha 12 string, an FG 260, that appears to be not brand new. Sweet tone to it, projects nicely. Couple scratches on the bottom side, otherwise in pretty good, but used, shape. She performs vocally, but wants to get rid of her guitar as she just wants to focus on vocals. Any one have any insight on this guitar, and what a decent used one might be worth? I have found a large range on line ranging from low 100s to 300s or so. Like I said, has a nice tone. It is currently strung as a six string. I know some others here have experience with Yamaha acoustics. Was hoping to narrow my research in helping her to sell it. Thanks!

Though this is not actually it (don't have a pic), looks like this:

wingsdad
December 20th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I'm not familiar with that model, and i tried a quick search at the Yamaha site and came up empty on that model. But I've had an FG411CE-12 since I bought it new in 1996. Made in Taiwan, solid spruce top, Nato back & sides,laminated. Yamaha's Chinese product FG series is pretty close in quality & value to Takamine's G Series, also Chinese. Yamaha's lifetime original owner warranty is better than Tak's, though. That price range you're finding seems about right, probably in the middle. I paid $500 for my 12 in 96, and i'd be lucky to get $300 for it today, in spite of it being in A-1 condition.

t_ross33
December 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Hey SVL, these are Martin copies and would be the 12 string version of my FG160(E); Spruce top, rosewood sides. Very nice, rich tone without being 'boomy' - I can only imagine what the 12 string would sound like :AOK:

These weren't Yamaha's top of the line models however. I'd guess $200 to $250 tops. If it's of late 60's or 70's vintage it may appeal to someone interested in such things, but it's not likely a "collector piece" as far as the vintage guitar market is concerned.

But hey, what do I know. Keep poking around the net. You never know how rare/quirky/valuable it might be.

On second thought, just tell her it's worthless and you'll do her a favor and take it off her hands. It'd make a great campfire guitar and look cool hanging on the wall of your office. ;)

Trev