PDA

View Full Version : Help!

tot_Ou_tard
December 21st, 2007, 08:02 AM
Hello-

My son is home from University & we're going to try to learn a song together.

He bought me

The Beatles Guitar

book (black cover) for my birthday this year & since we are both fans, that seems ideal.

I want a reasonably simple song with both lead & rhythm parts.

Hello, Goodbye looks good, but I have a few questions about the notation.

(page 168, if you are reading along at home)

Each measure has two levels, on top is single note music notation and on the bottom is rhythm notation & tab for arpeggios n' such. Above all of this are chords in the standard frets, strings, & dots for fingering notation.

Here are my questions

1) In measure one's rhythm part, there is the up and downstroke notation, & below that the rhythm quarter note slashes, & underneath each of these is either a T or a B

so it goes

v n v n (up, down, up, down)
|_|_|_| ( with the / on top of each rhythm quarter note)
T B T B

What the frig does the T and B mean?!?

2) The single notes give no hints as to what register to play them in.
To make things easier, we're going to play the melody in first postion, but
what did the Beatles do? What would you do? What is the chart suggesting I do?

Thanks!

-Goobye

ted s
December 21st, 2007, 08:42 AM
Probably wrong here, but perhaps T & B are identifying which finger for finger picking ?

Edit.. pretty sure I'm out to lunch here, I was thinking of this..

E|-------------------------------------|
B|-------1----------1------------------|
G|-----0---------0----0------0---------|
D|---2---------0--------2------0-------|
A|-3---------2------------3------2-----|
E|---------3-----------------------3---|
p i m a p i m a a m i p a m i p

edit again.. Since it is up/down strokes maybe T & B is emphasis on treble and bass strings ?

tot_Ou_tard
December 21st, 2007, 09:04 AM
edit again.. Since it is up/down strokes maybe T & B is emphasis on treble and bass strings ?
That was my first guess, but why mention that when an upstroke will automagically emphasize the treble as the downs will the bass.

aeolian
December 21st, 2007, 11:10 AM
My guess is that you are right about Treble and Bass. And since you are familiar with the song you're learning, play it so it sounds most like the record.

If you and your son are Beatles fans, have you ever heard of this Beatles To A Tee (http://www.to-a-tee.tv/products/)? I have two volumes and they are incredibly accurate.

tjcurtin1
December 21st, 2007, 11:46 AM
Aeolian - thanks for the tip on the Beatles To a Tee productions - they look great!

tot_Ou_tard
December 21st, 2007, 12:21 PM
My guess is that you are right about Treble and Bass. And since you are familiar with the song you're learning, play it so it sounds most like the record.

If you and your son are Beatles fans, have you ever heard of this Beatles To A Tee (http://www.to-a-tee.tv/products/)? I have two volumes and they are incredibly accurate.
Way cool Aeolian!

I couldn't tell from the site, but does it come with sheet music?

aeolian
December 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM
No, the DVDs don't come with sheet music (may be a copyright issue?) You can always spend the first few minutes when you start learning a song from the DVD writing down the chords as he is going through them; the video shows what chord is being played on the screen.

There are short video clips on the website to give you a taste of what you will find in the video instructions. As a Beatles fan myself I found the DVDs lots of fun, and they cost about what a song book would cost.

tot_Ou_tard
December 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks Aeolian.

I saw the clips, but I would love to have the sheet music, especially for the lead lines and the rhythmic values of the notes.

My music stuff is in the basement & I don't have a TV or computer there. It would be much easier if I could look at the music.

I could write it all down, but that would cut into my playing time ;).

I'll probably get it tho' 'cause my son prefers learning that way & he has a laptop.

aeolian
December 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM
I should point out one shortcoming of the Beatles To A Tee DVDs and that is it does not cover any bass parts. And Beatles songs happen to have some amazing bass parts.