PDA

View Full Version : Guitarist Gift suggestion

tjcurtin1
December 21st, 2007, 12:23 PM
Keeping in mind the discussion about buying 'stuff' just for the sake of buying (or at this time of year, gift giving), here's a suggestion for a lasting value gift - (feeling that books and musical instruments fall into that category):

My wife just gave me a book for my birthday that would serve particularly well for a new player, but also potentially for any player because of the material included. She heard about it on NPR - "The Song Train - 52 great two-chord songs anyone can play" (www.songtrain.net) by Harvey Reid. On opening it, my first (internal) reaction was, "Jeese, I haven't been playing that long but I AM beyond the 2-chord stage!". But when I looked at it I found it to be full of great stuff. Great songs from the American song-book (rock, blues, gospel, folk) with great notes/tips on each song (authors, players, recording history and musical particulars) and 4 cd's covering all the songs. Also good general info on basic music theory music with encouragement to 'play and have fun and don't sweat the details' for the new player. The book was designed by Reid as an encouragement for people to take music into their own hands and have fun playing and singing, to keep music from becoming another spectator sport.

A Merry and musical Christmas to you all - sing some carols! :DR

Ted C.

LagrangeCalvert
December 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM
I deff want this BOOK......thanks for the tip off. Thats such a cool Idea to have this book handy at gigs when they say (play another)...I can set this up and go!

tjcurtin1
December 21st, 2007, 04:15 PM
I should have mentioned that the book itself is really nicely designed, and is salted with pithy quotes, such as

" I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to."" Elvis Presley

"When you play a two-chord song, you always know what the next chord is."

"Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened. Don't open the door to the study and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument. Let the beauty we love be what we do..." Rumi

And some great old pictures - check out the accompanying gitbox (literally!) in this photo, all you gearhounds! I particularly like what looks like a pie-pan resonator!

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_1107476c3983bd5ef.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=179)