PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Bands

Tim
March 15th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Ok, I play guitar. I’m not the best, but I do play. What is with the wrist bands I see a lot of guitarist wearing? I see think ones and thin ones. I see leather ones and cotton ones. Ones with elastic, others with Velcro. They are in a mixture of colors. Are they used for sweating purposes or for muting the strings on certain chords? An inquiring mind wants to know.

r_a_smith3530
March 15th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Two inquiring minds would like to know!

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 07:47 AM
They write chord changes and lyrics on them. Since everyone has gone to in ear monitors there is nowhere left for a cheat sheet.

Tim
March 15th, 2006, 08:44 AM
No! No! This can not possibly be the right answer. Some bands are only ¼ inch wide. Supman, I think you have eaten too many potatoes or it’s too cold there in Iduhho!

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Sorry. I wrote that on sheer speculation. If the bands are thin and yellow they are Lance Armstong Live Strong cancer awareness bracelets. Mostly everyone else has gotten on the bandwagon and come up with their own awareness theme. Mostly just fashion vogue. No playing enhancement except that you look cool.

Tim
March 15th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Ok Spudman, I’ll take your word on it for now.

I think you should change you signature to read: Without a band I get no rhythm accompanied screamin solos.

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I'm out of space.

Bigbear
March 15th, 2006, 09:33 AM
sometimes when i play surf.. which is alot sometimes... i use my wrist to palm mute,,and after a while it opens up and it really stings when a string vibrates in the sore spot... i've taken to taping my wrists. like i heard one other local guy do... dunno if thats what the wristbands are for though, could be a possibility.

Tim
March 15th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks Bigbear

Steve - please tell us more about your addiction with Stratocasters. It really helps to get this kind of stuff off your chest.

duhvoodooman
March 15th, 2006, 10:24 AM
My name is Steve and I'm a Strataholic.
OK, Fretters, everybody in unison:

"HI, STEVE!!!"

Our 12-step program touted here consists of you playing your Strats, talking about your Strats, posting audio clips played on your Strats, posting photos of your Strats, discussing modifications you plan to make on your Strats, encouraging others to buy Strats, and describing in excruciating detail the GAS attacks which are driving you to purchase even more Strats. There are five more steps, but I forgot what they were while I was playing my Strat.

The bad news is that it's highly unlikely that you will "get better". The good news is that most of us here can't think of a reason why you should even try! :R

warren0728
March 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM
The bad news is that it's highly unlikely that you will "get better". The good news is that most of us here can't think of a reason why you should even try! :R
lmao :D

ww

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I am so strung out now (10-46) that I hung a Strat (on the wall). Does this mean I'm loosing it. Could someone hold my hand (in the 9add13) position before I start to Cry (baby). Yes, I have Strat every day. It is effecting my life and relationships (with non players).
Do I have a problem?

duhvoodooman
March 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Do I have a problem?
Probably. Play two Hendrix songs and call me in the morning.

Tim
March 15th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Actually I think Steve and his Strats need to take a vacation together and stay until they straighten out this problem. There is no use of them returning with the addition still on going. Steve's immediate family and love ones are will need to survive until Steve returns from his self re-alignment sabbatical. Oh by the way Steve, bring me back some wrist bands (back to the topic of this thread).

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 11:22 AM
LMAO
You guys are too much. I guess here in Idaho I'm used to people not knowing anything about the "anonymous" crowd. I am proud to be in such good company here on the fret.
I did 2 Hendrix songs and a Robin Trower but I still have that craving. I might need some kind of intervention like a jam session.

Tim
March 15th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Come on down to Florida. Warren and I will be most happy to jam with you Spuds. Maybe we can get Frank to come up from Central East Coast of Florida. Bring all your Strats with you. They need a vacation too. We can show you rain, sand and lots of water ... deep blue water.

Update:

And lots and lots of alligators. Swimming anybody???

duhvoodooman
March 15th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I did 2 Hendrix songs and a Robin Trower but I still have that craving. I might need some kind of intervention like a jam session.
Try some SRV and a Dire Straits tune or two. Might help.

BTW, I thought of the missing 5 steps. They came to me while I was playing my Strat.

8) Brag about how the last modification you did to your Strat makes you sound like a cross between Hendrix and SRV, only with better chops.
9) Complain about how the last modification you did to your Strat didn't work for squat, and now it sounds like Ashlee Simpson, if she played a Strat, or pretended to.
10) Talk about how you bought a Strat for your kid, but they never play it because they're too busy sneaking out of the house at 3 AM.
11) Chuckle to yourself while the humbucker guys argue endlessly over buying Gibsons vs. Epiphones.
12) Argue with the other Strat guys about Squiers vs. MIM's vs. MIA's while the Gibby/Epi crowd does the chuckling.

Hope this helps you come to grips with your demons, or at least your Bad Monkey.

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Voodoo

Too funny. I have tears coming out or maybe it's that you hit too close to home. I forgot about all the excuses. I'm laughing like crazy.

12) Argue with the other Strat guys about Squiers vs. MIM's vs. MIA's while the Gibby/Epi crowd does the chuckling.

I'll try this one. And I'll make a new wrist band for Strataholics to proclaim their addiction. Anyone know where I can get them made?

duhvoodooman
March 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM
And I'll make a new wrist band for Strataholics to proclaim their addiction. Anyone know where I can get them made?
Reminderband.com (http://www.reminderband.com/specs.php?utm_id=22&gclid=CPbpuZja4YMCFRV-OAodRQP79w)

How about some that say "Practicing Strataholic"? You can order as few as 20 for $1.95 each. I bet you could move that many here in about 5 minutes.

Just in case, put me down for two.... :D

P.S. Now, that's one BAD Monkey!!

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Maybe we need to take a poll.

Guys, what should be printed on the wristbands?

1. Practicing Strataholic
2. I'm a Strataholic
3. I'm a Stratoholic
4. Practicing Stratoholic

Feel free to chip in here with your own ideas.

duhvoodooman
March 15th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Maybe "Stratoholic & Proud Of It!"

SuperSwede
March 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM
The wristbands are of course meant to make you look good... at least they seemed to think so in the 80´s. They are working best together with a pair of pink/yellow spandex pants.

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 02:57 PM
1. Practicing Strataholic
2. I'm a Strataholic
3. I'm a Stratoholic
4. Practicing Stratoholic
5. Stratoholic & Proud Of It!

Feel free to chip in here with your own ideas.
Come on SS. I know you have a good one for this.

duhvoodooman
March 15th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Come on SS. I know you have a good one for this.
"Stratoholics have screaming solos in their amphs"??

Katastrophe
March 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM
My other guitar player in my band plays with wrist bands. He says they help soak up sweat. He's kind of a high energy guy who moves around alot when he plays, and the wrist bands help with all of that.

Katastrophe
March 15th, 2006, 07:11 PM
"Stratoholics have screaming solos in their amphs"??

Of course they do... That's why the Strat / Marshall amph combo is so popular!

Tim
March 15th, 2006, 08:30 PM
My other guitar player in my band plays with wrist bands. He says they help soak up sweat. He's kind of a high energy guy who moves around alot when he plays, and the wrist bands help with all of that.

Finally a hit of truth hidden within the many pages of ....

SuperSwede
March 16th, 2006, 10:58 AM
They should make guitars out of sponge... Just twist it after the gig and get rid of the sweat!