PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new guy from Wisconsin

JJ Gross
December 21st, 2007, 06:53 PM
Hi all,
JJ Gross from SE Wisc.
I'm a webmaster/working musician. Been doing the former for about 10 years and the later for ... uh ... a while (since ~1974). I've played pretty much everything gear-wise on the planet, mostly a Fender guy these days. On the side, I also build and repair amps & effects (from scratch) and in that field am completely self-taught. I plan on eventually replacing almost everything I gig with, with my own built stuff.

Cheers,
- JJ

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee255/BubbaKahuna/live/ACFshow/ScreenShot018.jpg

Dirty Ernie Band (http://dirty-ernie.com)

tot_Ou_tard
December 21st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Cool JJ, we love DIY gear folx here!

But what is totally cool about you showing up is that this

My Momma always said "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
She was funny like that.

might be the first latin slug on the Fret Net.

Translation puhleassee ;).

--------- Whoa! Just checked out the Dirty Ernie Website ----

Cool sh!t! Nice logo & name too.

But why no clips (& no CD's for sale) on your site?

Can you lay a track or two on us?

You can't have dirty blues like that, mention a mandolin, & leave us hanging!

tunghaichuan
December 21st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Welcome, JJ. I build my own amps, too. Haven't really done much in the FX department, though.

Enjoy your stay here.

tung

She was funny like that.

Literally: "A simpleton is as a simpleton does" :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
December 21st, 2007, 07:08 PM
Literally: "A simpleton is as a simpleton does" :AOK:
Thanks tung!

tunghaichuan
December 21st, 2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks tung!

Three years of Latin in high school, yes I was a masochist :dude:

BTW, the tagline for The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/content/index) is "tu stultus es," literally: "you are a simpleton" which is the only reason I looked up "stultus."

tung

luvmyshiner
December 21st, 2007, 07:11 PM
Welcome aboard JJ.

just strum
December 21st, 2007, 07:18 PM
JJ, welcome to thefret, it looks like you can contribute a lot and maybe add some additional musical guidance to a site already rich in musical content. Us beginners welcome an opportunity to learn from your level of talent.

Checked out your site - that is a very impressive background you and the other members have there.

ted s
December 21st, 2007, 07:21 PM
welcome JJ, looking forward to hearing more.

warren0728
December 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM
welcome jj....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Guitar Gal
December 21st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Nice to see you here JJ :AOK:

GG

Robert
December 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Welcome JJ, we are happy to have you join in! Gotta love a white strat. Looking forward to learn more about you.

JJ Gross
December 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks everyone, makes me feel right at home!

:AOK:

Cool JJ, we love DIY gear folx here!

But what is totally cool about you showing up is that this

She was funny like that.

--------- Whoa! Just checked out the Dirty Ernie Website ----

Cool sh!t! Nice logo & name too.

But why no clips (& no CD's for sale) on your site?

Can you lay a track or two on us?

You can't have dirty blues like that, mention a mandolin, & leave us hanging!

At the moment, we don't have any clips on the website because every time we have someone recording us live, they get such an unbalanced mix that I just won't use it. We sell the band with a 6 year old quick & dirty studio demo done in a friend's basement. Seems to work, but we've come a long way material wise since we formed the band in 2001.

We hope to have a CD ready for mass consumption (if all goes well) by spring/summer this year, we're taking all of January off to record it. We're also gearing up to make the move from a mostly cover band to one doing a lot more originals, mostly mine. I've done stuff in the past but it only went regional. Who knows what the new stuff will do, distribution wise? It's always a crap shoot.

If you want to hear some extremely badly mixed videos of cover tunes taken by a friend with a pocket camera, just search Youtube for "Dirty Ernie Band". Something about using a small camera mic (that mostly picks up midrange) parked RIGHT in front of my amp in between the mains seems to get an awful lot of geetar in that there mix! No problem hearing ME, that's for sure! There are 7 songs there. A couple of them don't suck as much as they could! :rotflmao:

The tag line is a very sloppy translation of Forest Gump's "Stupid is as Stupid does". :messedup:

Cheers,
- JJ

tot_Ou_tard
December 21st, 2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks JJ, I'll check out your band on the ol' tube.

So what's the story behind the burning monkey head?

marnold
December 21st, 2007, 08:02 PM
Welcome from the other side of the state, NE Wisconsin. By the by, that picture of you from 1983 is a riot. Of course, pictures of me from that era would be funny too, but not because I was in a metal band.

JJ Gross
December 21st, 2007, 08:13 PM
Welcome from the other side of the state, NE Wisconsin. By the by, that picture of you from 1983 is a riot. Of course, pictures of me from that era would be funny too, but not because I was in a metal band.

80s metal and modern metal are two very different animals.
I'm pretty sure if I went to audition for a touring metal band today looking like that I'd get my *** kicked 3 feet inside the door. :D

I never played much north of the FRV, but my folks live in Crandon so I get in the area for family stuff once in a while. We might be playing in Bessemer (ski lodge) in February though and do hit Wausau/Tomahawk once in a while.

That monkey is just something I found surfing the web. It originally had "Bad monkey! No Banana!" under it but when scaled down to fit this board's 80x80 size requirement I cut that off rather than shrink it so much it couldn't be read.

Cheers!

tot_Ou_tard
December 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM
That monkey is just something I found surfing the web. It originally had "Bad monkey! No Banana!" under it but when scaled down to fit this board's 80x80 size requirement I cut that off rather than shrink it so much it couldn't be read.

Cheers!
Many of us have Bad Monkeys...I can't vouch for the presence or absence of bananas however. ;)

Adrian30
December 21st, 2007, 08:45 PM
Welcome JJ! Glad to have you here.

Spudman
December 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM
I brought bananas. Who needs one?

Hi JJ
Welcome. I toured Wisconsin for a year one weekend in the 80's. Yes, I said it that way because it seemed like a long time. People party hard in Wisconsin. I was happy to leave so I could think straight again and start my detox. While on the way out I about split my britches when I saw a sign for a 'Ski Area'. I looked around but all I saw was this little hump out on the plain.:D

Shout out to all the hotties in Fond du Lac.:dude:

sunvalleylaw
December 22nd, 2007, 12:11 AM
Welcome! Glad to have you here! Me, I'm a late to guitar Dad player having a lot of fun and learning a lot from here.

mrmudcat
December 22nd, 2007, 12:52 AM
welcome:rockon:

Brian Krashpad
December 22nd, 2007, 06:35 AM
Welcome JJ!

oldguy
December 22nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
Welcome to TheFret, JJ, glad you joined us.:D

Katastrophe
December 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Welcome, JJ! Lots of good folks here. :AOK:

bigoldron
December 22nd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Welcome aboard, JJ! I checked out your band's website too and I agree with Tot, I'd like to hear a clip or two also!

Bloozcat
December 22nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Welcome JJ!

SE Wisconsin, eh? My wife grew up in Delavan, and we were up there about a little more than year ago for a niece's wedding at Lake Geneva. Beautiful country...in the warm months...;)

Tone2TheBone
December 22nd, 2007, 06:08 PM
Late welcome here but welcome!

JJ Gross
December 22nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
I brought bananas. Who needs one?

Hi JJ
Welcome. I toured Wisconsin for a year one weekend in the 80's. Yes, I said it that way because it seemed like a long time. People party hard in Wisconsin. I was happy to leave so I could think straight again and start my detox. While on the way out I about split my britches when I saw a sign for a 'Ski Area'. I looked around but all I saw was this little hump out on the plain.:D

Shout out to all the hotties in Fond du Lac.:dude:

HAH! I bet that "Ski Area" was where I grew up - Oconomowoc.
I worked there when I was in high school, right after it was built. Plowed up out of a field actually with the hole being a new 'lake'.
Truckers call it 'The Pimple'. :beer:

duhvoodooman
December 22nd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Lawdy, lawdy, I surely do love fellow gearheads! Welcome to TheFret, JJ! :dude:

Spudman
December 22nd, 2007, 11:35 PM
HAH! I bet that "Ski Area" was where I grew up - Oconomowoc.
I worked there when I was in high school, right after it was built. Plowed up out of a field actually with the hole being a new 'lake'.
Truckers call it 'The Pimple'. :beer:

That's the place! :beer:

kiteman
December 24th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Glad to have you here JJ. :)

I was born in Milwaukee but I lived my babyhood there and started first grade in Springfield Missouri. My dad's job moved us around a bit and we finally ended up in Texas for good. My dad died in '65 and my mom in '98 and now I'm the lonely Texan.

Hmm... cool name for a band. :D