PDA

View Full Version : SX Basses

marnold
March 15th, 2006, 10:36 AM
From another thread . . .

Look for a custom SX Ash Jazz bass in the future though!
What have you heard about the SX basses? I like the looks of the SB-301 (http://www.rondomusic.net/sb301.html) and the SPJ Ash (http://www.rondomusic.net/spjash.html).

r_a_smith3530
March 22nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
I've read some good things about SX (some call them Essex) basses on both the "Ho Bass" section of "The Dudepit" and on TalkBass dot com. Everybody seems to think they are pretty solid basses for the price. Most folks put them head and shoulders above comparably-priced instruments like the Squier and Rogue basses. That's why I am considering taking the plunge, sight unseen, although now I am thinking of getting a fretless from them.

BTW, one of the owners of Rondo Music monitors and posts on the TalkBass forum.

marnold
March 22nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
Let me know what you think. I'm also considering getting one of the SX short-scale strats for my son when he starts playing.

Robert
March 24th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I am really in big need of a bass. If I buy an SX bass, I don't know which one to get! Any tips? I like jazz basses, but there are lots of options it seems.

marnold
March 24th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I don't know if the SX basses follow the Fender "standard" or not, but the P-bass necks are wider at the nut than J-bass necks. Conversely, J-bass bodies are bigger than their P-bass counterparts. Fender has a P-bass Special that is the best of both worlds (from my standpoint anyway): J-bass neck, P-bass body, both P and J pickups. The SPJ Ash seems to be a J-bass with a P-bass pickup. The SB-301 is a more modern body design. The SX SPJ-62 seems like it would be closest to the Fender P-bass Special.

r_a_smith3530
March 27th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Yeah marnold, I too like the P-J concept. Fender originally offered this in both Precision and Jazz body styles, both with Jazz-width necks, built in the US. They then dropped the US versions, and in its place, came out with a Mexican version of the P body style, also with a J neck. I believe that at one point, there was even a Squier version offered.

Fender Frankenbass is built using one of the American P bodies, but with an old 1960's P neck in place of the Jazz. The dual tone circuit, active Bart's really make this bass come alive.

Between Fender Frankenbass and Mr. Bacon (my G&L L2K), I really have just about all the bases (excuse the pun) covered, except one, and that is fretless. Here's the empty slot that an SX bass just might fill. I'd like one of their toofless Jazz basses, but I really like the Lake Placid Blue, and it's not offered toofless. We'll see...

marnold
March 28th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Between Fender Frankenbass and Mr. Bacon (my G&L L2K), I really have just about all the bases (excuse the pun) covered, except one, and that is fretless. Here's the empty slot that an SX bass just might fill. I'd like one of their toofless Jazz basses, but I really like the Lake Placid Blue, and it's not offered toofless. We'll see...
You might want to email the owner. I know that they change models/colors frequently.

r_a_smith3530
March 29th, 2006, 01:20 AM
You might want to email the owner. I know that they change models/colors frequently.

Done that, waiting now for reply. I asked about Lake Placid Blue, with matching color headstock (if possible), and Rosewood or Ebony fretboard. Alternatively, I also mentioned natural finished Ash.

Bloozcat
March 29th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I'm thinking about an SPJ 62 in either Vintage White w/black pickguard to compliment my Squire '51, or the Fiesta Red. Normally I'm not attracted to Feista Red, but this one appeals to me.

With generally good reviews and for $119.95 it's worth a shot...:cool:

marnold
March 29th, 2006, 01:07 PM
I'm thinking about an SPJ 62 in either Vintage White w/black pickguard to compliment my Squire '51, or the Fiesta Red. Normally I'm not attracted to Feista Red, but this one appeals to me.

With generally good reviews and for $119.95 it's worth a shot...:cool:
My old Peavey Fury was red with a white pickguard. Brought back fond memories . . . sniff.