PDA

View Full Version : American made acoustics

tjcurtin1
December 21st, 2007, 07:21 PM
I'm going to go on a guitar crawl with my brother who is looking for a new 12 string, and so now I'm thinking about a guitar upgrade and would like to buy an American made model. I've been reading about the Tacoma's and it seems I might be able to get one (used) in my price range ($500).

Two questions - how would you characterize the sound of the Tacomas in comparison with other guitars? I prefer a warmer, bassier tone.

Are there anyother American made guitars in this price range you would recommend?

wingsdad
December 21st, 2007, 10:21 PM
I currently own 2 'Traditional' (round soundhole) Tacomas, as opposed to their paisley upper bout soundhole, a/k/a Wing Series, and previously owned another. I've also played (tried out) many over the years. The Traditional models were discontinued at the end of 2006 as Fender converted the Tacoma factory to its Guild factory. But for $500 or so, used, if it's a 12-string, look for 2002 or newer for all solid wood models, DM9-12 or DM18-12. These are mahogany back & side, sitka spruce top dreadnaughts. They're plenty 'warm' in tone, yet not especially bassy. With any acoustic guitar, not just Tacomas, Rosewood would be 'warmer', but Tacoma didn't make rosewood bodied 12's except for custom runs, as far as I know. Maple would 'ring' brighter. To 'characterize' Tacomas' sound in general, regardless if the tonewood variable, they're known to produce 'well-balanced' bass-mids-trebles.

In that $500 price range, you might have a hard time finding another brand American made 12-string in good shape, especially one of all solid woods like a Tacoma, although I've seen a couple of late 80's, early-90's Guilds around that price, a bit higher. In their prime time (70's to early 80's), Guilds were top-notch 12's.

If you can open the budget range to $750, you'll find one.

EDIT: looking back, I think I missed that YOU'RE looking for something other than a 12 for $500...look for a Tacoma Rosewood like a DR14 or if you like a cutaway, DR14C, from around 2002-2003. A little older than that, maybe.

tjcurtin1
December 21st, 2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks, Wingsdad - I should have been clearer that I'm looking for a 6-string. It sounds like a Tacoma may be a good fit for me, if I can find one. I guess the round-hole versions would only be available used or remaining stock that someone might still have? They look beautiful and it would be nice to have an American made guitar.

wingsdad
December 21st, 2007, 10:56 PM
There are still some 2006, even a few late 05 dreadnaught and jumbo roundholers available new. Fender closed them out earlier this year to their dealers, and they were going for 40-50% off list price. Musicians Friend & M123 have some, if you're up for going online, particulalry there.

They did NOT discontinue the 'Little Jumbo' (similar to a Takamine NEX body) roundholers, though; there's three EM models, one in each of 3 'finish levels'-- 9, 14 & 28.

As for used, I suggested 2002 or newer because Tacoma went through a period of 'finish issues' (blistering at the edges, or worse) that they apparently got past by then. So you'd be looking for guitars with serial numbers starting with the letter 'F' (2002) through 'J' (06). G=03, H=04, I=05.

BTW: all Tacoma non-cutaways have 1.75" nut widths, while cutaways are 1/8" narrower at 1.675", and also, a bit slimmer/more tapered in depth/shape.

Good luck in your quest. I'm a little biased, I guess, but I'm not alone in having compared Tacomas in quality to Taylors and Martins. My local dealer has taken a couple of Martin D-18's and several Taylors in on trades for Tacomas (314, 414, even an 814ce just 2 weeks ago...for 2 Tacomas).

sunvalleylaw
December 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM
Very interesting!! As you know, I am interested in upgrading my acoustic to a rosewood backed and sided dread. A DR14 might be just the thing. Unfortunately, I know of no dealers anywhere near here. I feel strongly about putting my hands on and playing any acoustic I want to buy. Might do well to keep my eyes open though. I have emotional reasons for owning a "Tacoma" as well, that I could play while wearing my T Town t-shirt. :-)

just strum
December 22nd, 2007, 07:50 AM
I started playing my acoustic again and of course almost immediately got the urge to upgrade, but having been fighting off the GAS. This was not the thread to read during this struggle.

I will say this is good information for someone looking for an acoustic.

wingsdad
December 22nd, 2007, 10:30 AM
Here's a link to a thread about Tacomas I started a while back:
Tacoma Thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4588)
In it, there's a link to the Tacoma website, where besides seeing what's currently left of them in production, and a link to the current pricelist, there's a link to their full color catlaog in pdf format for the last year of full production, 2005, before they were bought by Fender.

WARNING: Do not view this catalog near an open flame.

There's also a dealer locator list. Since Tacoma is a Fender company now, there's a chance a Fender dealer might be able to land one.

Other than deleting the models and pickup options they've disontinued and posting the current pricelist, Fender hasn't updated the content since December of 05.

I also posted some photos there of my 2 Tacoma masterpieces.

just strum
December 22nd, 2007, 01:41 PM
I think we need a "cease and desist" button to stop these GAS attacks.:D

Wings, you know damn well what's happening on the receiving end of your posts. I may have to call you this weekend to work a trade, if only I had a guitar I knew you wanted:cry:

wingsdad
December 22nd, 2007, 07:44 PM
You know me well enough by now, Strum, to know that I'm on the prowl every weekend for a new 'mistress' to steal my heart away. :messedup:
:)

tjcurtin1
December 31st, 2007, 12:21 PM
As this thread content is crossing over with a similar thread I started, I'm posting a thread link here:

'Inexpensive acoustics (US, Canadian and other)' http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=55602#post55602

In my last entry there I talk about a Larrivee that I met and fell in love with and am now saving my pennies for. The connection is the fact that Larrivees are made in Canada (03 series, no frills, satin finish, under $1000 new) and California (all the other models, all glossy).

On the same trip I came across a Tacoma D-20 (used) which also had a sound I loved and which I'd be considering too, except it is pre '98 and does indeed have the beginnings of finish bubbling....

gpower
January 3rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Martin D 15s and 16gts can be picked up used for 400-600. I've tried a lot of acoustics recently and keep coming back to Martins as my favorite acoustic
tones.

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I like the 1 3/4" nut width that wingsdad reports for noncutaway Tacoma guitars. I don't like the modern, paisely sound holes. I can report that Amercian-made Ovation guitars, especially the deep bowl models (3rd number from right in model number is "1") if you can handle the bowlback shape - these guitars, IMHO, produce sweet fat tones comparable to any. Cedar tops also produce the max in mellow tone. If you shop around and are patient you can get a good Ovation Balladeer with solid top and deep bowl, American-made. It will have 1 11/16" nut unless you go classical.

I had a mint Balladeer 1117, deep bowl, solid spruce top... American-made - bought for $500 w/the hardcase... that thing was the most finely made guitar I have owned in my early 10-git journey... in fact it was so nice that I was reluctant to play it because I was afraid I'd dink it. Fool that I am, I sold it. Stupid. Remember the big O as a candidate in your search.