PDA

View Full Version : Matt Tries the Blues

Matt
March 15th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Be Nice ;) Lol, just kidding, be a critical as you want, I'm all ears! I feel there is alot more I could do with it, but I just wanted to get something down. Enjoy...

Matt

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Cool Matt
Sounds great. You have some good feeling coming through. Big kudos. It's about time for tea now isn't it?

Matt
March 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Are you mocking my Britishness? :D Nah, already had it. Anyhoo, cheers for the reply Spud (you know, in England, that means potato, pronounced po-tay-toe) :D

regards

Matt

warren0728
March 15th, 2006, 01:27 PM
sounds good matt...what was your setup?

ww

Matt
March 15th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Erm, tweed 4x10, gain: 10:00, volume: full, treble: 14:00, middle: 11:00, bass, 11:00, master: full and some reverb (stock reverb). Then just used my bad monkey to beef it up half way through.

Used my '51 as well :D

warren0728
March 15th, 2006, 01:34 PM
cool...and did you record straight into the computer or mic'ed?

once again....nice job!

ww

Matt
March 15th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Direct recording. Robbed me of my tubey tone, but I've managed to break both my microphones, so I couldn't mic it :(

cheers Warren!

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Matt
You got me going. Thanks man. Want to do tea sometime? I'm up for a Guiness too.

Ibanez Sa 160- Vamp Modern Class A-Bad Monkey and Thomas Organ Cry Baby into Cubase

Matt
March 15th, 2006, 03:33 PM
One step ahead aren't ya Spud. Damn your fantasmical playing. Pretty damn sexy tone you have there. As for the guiness, maybe in a years time- being of legal age to drink is rather useful :D

regards

Matt

SuperSwede
March 15th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Nice one Spud! The Ibanez SA series, is that those very thin guitars? I think I played on one once, and it had a really nice neck.

SuperSwede
March 15th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I wrote some lyrics for your song Spud.
"
its feels like cold coffee
it tastes like cold coffee
it smells like cold coffee
it LOOKS like cold coffee with whipped cream on top...

What is it?

Its GuinessĀ© of course..
"

Robert
March 15th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Fine job Matt! Nice clean tone. You are on your way to stardom.

Potatohead - you rock man! Nice licks and phrasing. I've been wanting to hear you play for a long time now, and you didn't disappoint!

How about one of them Kilkenny's?

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Cold coffee! Yech! Petwie. Cough. I hate coffee. However (softly smiling), I love Guiness.
The SA, ah yes. I've had it for a while the one with the quilted amber finish. I never liked the stock neck or bridge pickups untill I put in an Ibanez C3 in the neck and a Dimarzio PAF in the bridge. I never played it much because of the pickups and now I do. It plays fantasticly.That slim mahogany body has some tone and the neck is EASY and the frets smooth. My Strats are going to be jealous...for a while.
We might need to adjust the lyrics some.

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks Robert. The feeling is mutual. I'd have an Okeef's Extra Old Stock if you don't mind.

duhvoodooman
March 15th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Matt & Spudly--

Nice job by both of you there. Spuds, love how you stuck that SRV low-E twang there on the end! Gets my Good Blueskeeping Seal of Approval! :R

Katastrophe
March 15th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Great job, guys! I gotta figure out how to do this computer recording stuff and post up!

warren0728
March 15th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Ibanez Sa 160- Vamp Modern Class A-Bad Monkey and Thomas Organ Cry Baby into Cubase
that sounded sweet spud....i need to go practise some more!

ww

Tim
March 15th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Spuds - The three inches of snow must have really given you a great influence for you winter jam. Great tone on all sections of the track. I am curious on what setting you had your V-Amp2 set on for the configuration (S1, S2, L1, L2 or L3) ? Did you do a double track? One with the solo and one with a boogie rhythm playing?

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 08:54 PM
It's all Robert's rhythm track.

S1 - I turned the gain down on the Modern Class A setting and used the Bad Monkey and wah just like in front of a real amp. Right side line out only. I need to try it some more, but the combination of analog pedal and digital amp may just be the ticket.

Usually I run my stage amps fairly clean and color it with pedals as needed. I think the V Amp might be able to do the same thing. I'm working on it.

I also use the Behringer midi computer programing thing. If you haven't tried it it's great. You can graphically do your presets and store and rename them. It is available from Behringer's web site. You'll need 2 midi cables and an input for midi into the computer. The patch sound however still comes via the V Amp outputs and not the midi. Meaning that you still need a way to get the Vamp sound output converted to digital and into the computer. Or record to your sound card I guess.

Justaguyin_nc
March 16th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Nice Job Matt and Spud... Pass the Monkey's all around...

Nelskie
March 16th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Spud - Those licks of yours be some tasty french fries, my friend. I liked that "wah thing" goin' on at the end.

Nelskie
March 16th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Matt - Cool stuff there, my man! Diggin' that clean tone you're gettin' - very reminiscent of some early Yardbirds material , perhaps even some Bluesbreakers stuff as well.

Spudman
March 16th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Matt
No need to apologize for your tone man. It's a great clean tone. You play it really well.

Tim
March 16th, 2006, 10:47 AM
S1 - I turned the gain down on the Modern Class A setting ... Right side line out only.

I also use the Behringer midi computer programing thing...

Meaning that you still need a way to get the Vamp sound output converted to digital and into the computer. Or record to your sound card I guess.

Spuds - Thanks for the V-Amp2 information. I understand the setting: S1, Right side out to the computer. This is a stereo signal.

I have the latest V-Amp2 computer program for tweaking and saving the patches.

This last one needs further explanation. Can I go straight from the V-Amp2, right side output (stereo) into my computer's sound card? This signal will go straight into the Audacity program for recording over a backing track.

I am guessing that I record the guitar signal as stereo.

Spudman
March 16th, 2006, 11:11 AM
It shouldn't be stereo since you only have one cable. It will do a summed mono I think, ie. same signal on both sides. If you want true stereo you need to go out of L&R line outs into separate channels. Most sound cards have 2 inputs so this should be possible.

I haven't found the need to get too spatial with my guitar yet. It seems the message gets across just fine recording to one channel. Choruses and pan delays would sound pretty cool but usually the spatialness gets lost among the other tracks.

Anyway, just try it and see what happens. Really play with the presence and tone on the VAmp to see what kind of recorded sounds emerge. If you have pedals treat the Vamp like a regular guitar amp and see what happens. That means lining up your effects before the unit.

Good luck. I'm anxious to hear what you come up with.
Live long and prosper. "V"

Tim
March 16th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Spuds - Thanks. I will attemp to record something with Robert's "Renman's Winter Blues". I have played over Winter Blues once or twice but nothing appealing developed. I dicussed this with Robert in a PM. We will see what happens tomorrow night. My wife is baby sitting the grandchildren and I will have the house to myself.

Justaguyin_nc
March 17th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I wanna play..... My one minute screaming solo.. Squier_51 into Cyber-Champ on High Gain Dyna-Touch 65 DSP... screaming man screaming.. lol

:R :R :R

warren0728
March 17th, 2006, 02:01 PM
real nice justa....

ww

Tim
March 17th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Justa - Short but sweet. Sounds like you put in a couple of double stops. Also reminded me of the Duane Eddy echo that he used all the time.