PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Mite Tex Mex pickups?

birv2
December 22nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Anybody have any experience with these? I currently have a set of Japanese pickups (see my sig) in my Squier, but I'm thinking about changing.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Algonquin
December 29th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I've not seen or heard them Bob... sorry, can't help you here.

David

tot_Ou_tard
December 29th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Aren't these the pups that come standard with Cort guitars?

wingsdad
December 30th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Yep, Tot...I had (& probably shouldn't have sold) a Cort MGM-1, a/k/a Matt Guitar Murphy Special, stock Mighty Mite Humbuckers. Pretty decent pups for inexpensive Asians.

I don't know if the Tex Mex's would be any improvement over the Japanese pup's on that Squier, but Corts are nothing to sneeze at.

Cort may as well be called Ibanez, as they are part of their Hoshino distribution empire and the Korean factory built various inexpensive Ibanez models until that gig went to China, and now they make many of the mid-level Ibanez models while the top line models are Japanese.

birv2
December 30th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I've never played a Cort, so don't know what pickup quality is. I'm hoping that the Tex-Mexers are an improvement, especially since I bought them and will pay my guitar guy to swap out the current pickguard and put in the new one.

I did some research on the Japanese pickups, and it looks like the mid-80's Japanese Squier pickups were make by Fender in the States.

I'm getting these about the same time that I'm getting the Pro Jr, so I'm hoping for a major tone upgrade!;)

Bob

Bloozcat
January 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
You might want to check out the GFS line of pickups, birv2. There are a lot of satisfied users right here of various pickups in this line. They're inexpensive, and they have great tone. I know that inexpensive and good are often in opposition, but in this case you do get both.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/

birv2
January 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
You might want to check out the GFS line of pickups, birv2. There are a lot of satisfied users right here of various pickups in this line. They're inexpensive, and they have great tone. I know that inexpensive and good are often in opposition, but in this case you do get both.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/

Thanks for the tip, BC. I'm kind of in limbo now with upgrades to my Squier, since I'm going to be getting a real strat sometime in the next while (I posted in the Strat subforum about this).

Bob

birv2
March 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Just actually put in the Tex-Mex ones tonight. Wow, these guys are hot!

I play almost all blues, and these without a pedal are definitely at the rock end of the blues spectrum.

I'm happy with them, because I've got the clean sound covered with my JV Strat with CS Fat 50's.

Bob

Adrian30
March 4th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I have Fender's Tex Mex on my butterscotch strat, middle and neck, and I love them. Hot and dirty.:D

F_BSurfer
March 5th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Glad to hear that they turned out alright for you.Also happy to see someone get some use out of them only been dragging them around for about 10 years.

birv2
March 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM
They are definitely HOT. My Fat 50s are just the opposite -- clean and ringing for ages. So it's just a matter of deciding which way I want to go that day -- clean and chimey or hot and dirty.

Anybody want to buy a wired pickguard with pickups from an 87 Japanese Squier?

Bob

Jimi75
March 5th, 2008, 08:52 AM
We had a German guitar builder some couple years ago who exclusively built in Mighty Mit's.

Have played them a couple of times when I visitid his shop and they are great PUs.