PDA

View Full Version : A Little Different Xmas Story...

Childbride
December 22nd, 2007, 10:43 PM
the Cowboys game was at our house tonight. sacred ritual.

Shiner even made Cowboy Stew.

been cookin' since 2.

little girl at the game, her family is going through a lot. she's in our bedroom, watching Spongebobsquare hootchies.

i go back there, and start a conversation.

she's looking at the guitars.

i say, 'honey, you wanna learn a song?'

she says 'yeah'

she colors a cowboy star with paint pen on my right hand, and i give her my EA20.

i give her a pick. and pick up another guit.

and i teach her Amazing Grace.

just her and i, the whole second half of the game, playing guitar.

she played it for her Daddy before they left, and i almost cried.

she asked if she could play again next game. i told her yes, in Spades.

Happy Holidays, and let us all remember what is Important.

Spudman
December 22nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Happy Holidays, and let us all remember what is Important.

Yes, football and guitars. Yeehaw.:AOK:

Oh, and little girls too.;)

Tone2TheBone
December 23rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
I loved this story dangit. I just watched the Muppets Christmas Carol and was already crying from that and just read this and well thanks. ;) This was totally cute thanks for the inspiration. Kids are awesome and thanks for taking the time to do this.

Kazz
December 23rd, 2007, 05:23 AM
Kimmie you are really one in a million....Shiner hit the mother lode when you found him ;-)

tot_Ou_tard
December 23rd, 2007, 06:10 AM
Dang! That was the right thing to do & a beautiful way to do it CB. I'll bet she really gets into music.

Now who are these Cowboys you kept yammering on about? :D

I guess it doesn't matter as long as they make a good stew.

just strum
December 23rd, 2007, 06:17 AM
Kimmie, you've done it again. Nice act of caring and showing a child the beauty of music. Someday she will be telling a story about a friend of her parents that took the time to show her how to play guitar and she never stopped playing.

:master: :AOK: :master:

sunvalleylaw
December 23rd, 2007, 08:17 AM
That is such a cool story. I love that song too! I would be interested in knowing how you approach it sometime.

Guitar Gal
December 23rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
Great story CB....thanks for sharing :D Times like that are priceless :DR

GG

aeolian
December 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
Great story! I believe you have launched another love for guitar and music; what can be better than that.

ted s
December 23rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
awsome CB !

Justaguyin_nc
December 23rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
let us all remember what is Important.

It doesn't get any better than that... thanks for sharing!

luvmyshiner
December 23rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Heh, heh, I walked into the bedroom at halftime to check on CB, and they were both sitting on the bed, guitars in hand, playing. Kids that age absolutely amaze me, she picked the song up in less than 10 minutes, with absolutely no prior experience on the guitar, and she played it flawlessly. She told CB that her sister had a guitar, but no one in the family ever played it because they didn't know how to, and they didn't know how to tune it.

I'm thinking the next time she comes over we'll teach her how to tune the guitar and send her home with a tuner. No child with that much interest and natural ability should ever be denied the chance to learn, love and play music.

Childbride
December 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM
just got back from a two day run to check on my grandmother. :)

i wanted to thank y'all for your warm sentiments; and for letting me share that with you... it really touched me. i haven't completely washed off my paint pen star... the shadow of it keeps the memory alive for me. ;)

oldguy
December 24th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Another great memory, and in time to warm the heart for Christmas!:AOK:
Thanks, CB.:)