PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell Acoustics

jpfeifer
December 23rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to pass along a tip for a great inexpensive acoustic guitar for anyone who might be looking for a good "starter" guitar as a gift.

One of my neighbors asked me to look for an acoustic guitar for their son who is just starting out on guitar. They wanted something less than $200. I went to the local music store and tried several different models in this price range.

I was looking for something that played well (first), since it needs to be easy playing for a beginner, otherwise they will quickly loose interest and become discouraged. Second, I wanted decent tone as long as it had acceptable playability.

I discovered this brand called "Mitchell". These seem to be Chinese made acoustics and they are really good guitars for the money. I was shocked at had good they played and sounded for the price range. I found one particular model that I really liked, the MD100S. It was $149 at the store but you can get them for even less online. Here is a link:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mitchell-MD100S-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-100261031-i1166438.gc

This guitar even has a pearl inlay around the soundhole. (looks like mother or pearl.) I couldn't believe you could get a guitar like this for $149.

This guitar has a solid top, and sounds great. I played it for about 30 minutes and I couldn't hardly put it down. I wish that they would have had guitars this good at this price when I was first starting out. I paid about the same price for my first acoustic guitar back in the 70's and it wasn't nearly this good.

-- Jim

just strum
December 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Jim,

This is some good information. Are you impressed enough with it that you would recommend it to someone looking for a beater or camp fire guitar that they can play on the beach or when camping.

I read the link and based on what it says and what you've noted, it sounds like a good tip.

I am kicking around the idea of another acoustic, but was considering a Martin Bob Dylan acoustic replica, you know something in the $30K range:D . They may not be issued yet, but judging by a the number of replica posts lately, it probably won't be too long before someone has them for sale.

wingsdad
December 23rd, 2007, 10:58 AM
That's amazing. A solid spruce top guitar for a laminated top price of $150?

Strum: I think you should hold out for Martin's Willie Nelson Trigger ReIssue. Authentic in every detail, right down to the roach clip tucked under the top, accessible through the second soundhole he wore through the top. I read somewhere Willie's going to donate the proceeds from his endorsement to the IRS.;)

jpfeifer
December 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
Just_Strum,

Yes, this would be a good beater guitar for camping or whatever. The only bad part is that the guitar doesn't come with a case. You will probably want to get a decent guitar bag or inexpensive case for it.

It sounded really good though. I even played some stuff up in the high register of the neck. Usually cheaper guitars will sound and play poorly up there. This one still played in tune even above the 12th fret. For $149 it's a pretty good axe.

The neck is made of several pieces of wood glued together but they did a good job of shaping the neck.

-- Jim

just strum
December 23rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
The neck is made of several pieces of wood glued together but they did a good job of shaping the neck.

-- Jim

If it's done right, it prevents warping/twisting and if you can do that on a $149 guitar, hey they got something going there.