PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive acoustics (US, Canadian and other)

tjcurtin1
December 23rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
In my thread on 'American-made' acoustics I meant to include Canadian, my thought being to try to buy from a more local economy. I have an Art & Lutherie cedar top that I got cheaply used, and it really is a nice guitar with a full, warm sound, easy to play - a good starter guitar. I think they run about $240 new.

Not that I'm really looking for another guitar (......), but in the music store the other day I played some Taylors (out of my price range) and one round-hole Tacoma they had (also a bit out of my price range). They were nice of course, but I wasn't knocked over by the sound of any of them. Of course, we've heard lots about the Washburns from many Fretters, and I hope to run across a few while prowling with my brother later in the week.

I also played some Walden's they had (never heard of them, but I searched and saw that Robert had also bumped into one a while back and liked it), and I was really struck by a mahogany and cedar top model grand auditorium shape (solid back and top, laminate sides - they make an all-wood version with for $100 more, the 2000 series).

http://www.waldenguitars.com/steel/supra/1000series.html

Maybe I'm partial to the cedar sound, but this beautiful guitar (looks and sound) was really sweet, and at $399. way less than the others I played - and I liked it best. However, it's a Chinese made guitar..... drat! On returning home, I had to admit to myself that my A&R guitar also sounds pretty good in comparison to those I played, so I'll take Justa's advice and PLAY THE ONE I HAVE (sigh).

wingsdad
December 24th, 2007, 09:13 AM
A&L is one of Godin's family of brands. Beides the parent brand more known for its electrics and hybrids, Seagull is probably thei Canadian manufacturer's most recognized acoustic line, followed by LaPatrie, Simon & Patrick and Norman.

Godin's Brands (http://www.godinguitars.com/)

Washburn's imports are excellent bang for the buck. Oscar Schmidt is the 'even more affordable' brand from parent company USA Music and any Washburn dealer usually carries them. Some OS acosutic guitar and Mandolin models are dead ringers for some of Washburn's lower end models. OS also has the odd little things like Ukuleles, Resonators and Autoharps that are not in the Washburn line. They have a really nice 3/4 scale acoustic, the OG1, that's a good way to get youngsters started comfortably.
Oscar Schmidt (http://www.oscarschmidt.com/)

It's pretty hard to 'avoid' Chinese-made guitars when shopping for under $300-$400 these days, since they've become what Korean guitars used to be which in turn replaced what Japanese used to be. In fact, now, Indonesian-made guitars are starting to supplant the Chinese, and Washburn/Schmidt is a good example of that entire genesis. So are Takamine and Ibanez, both originally Japanese 'knock off' companies that eventually went with Korean made stuff and then Chinese. Only their top-of-the-line stuff is Japanese anymore.

tot_Ou_tard
December 24th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I've heard good things about the Godin acoustics (Seagull et al). I like my Godin electrics, very well made & easy to play.

Robert
December 24th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Seagulls are nice guitars. I liked that Walden too, for what it is.

There are many options these days for good guitars for not a whole lot of money.

just strum
December 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Seagulls are nice guitars...

There are many options these days for good guitars for not a whole lot of money.

I've checked out a number of the Seagull models and I would have to agree with you, I've been impressed with their product.

Kazz
December 27th, 2007, 06:36 AM
I have been gassing for a while over a Seagull S6+ Cedar top....

F_BSurfer
December 27th, 2007, 07:47 AM
If I was in the market for an acoustic it would be a seagull

tjcurtin1
December 31st, 2007, 12:13 PM
Well, now we get to the question of what counts as 'inexpensive'.... On a guitar crawl with my brother I ran into a Larrivee D-03 (made in Canada - other Larrivee's made in US) which I really loved the sound of - tops of all that I played that day, though I also liked a Tacoma D-20. The Larrivee new was $900. with case; the Tacoma was $800 used (but had some of the bubbling finish that marred their early production). The Larrivee had a complex, sonorous sound that just knocked me out, and it played beautifully - nice neck and big frets. It's no-frills but the woods (all solid, carefully matched) looked like what you would find on a much more expensive guitar. I would definitely check them out if you're in the market. I'm hoping to find a used one (though I want to try the L style body - kind of a cross betwen the dreadnought and the orchestra body) for about $600.. So does that qualify as 'inexpensive'.....?

spt
February 21st, 2008, 09:33 PM
I understand the desire to buy local so I won't try to steer you away from Larrivée or Tacoma, great guitars generally in my experience.
However, I'm surprised no one mentioned the GAD, Timbercraft and Masterbilt.
In the same price range, I would definitely consider some vintage Washburns or Yamahas.

sunvalleylaw
February 21st, 2008, 09:47 PM
Well, now we get to the question of what counts as 'inexpensive'.... On a guitar crawl with my brother I ran into a Larrivee D-03 (made in Canada - other Larrivee's made in US) which I really loved the sound of - tops of all that I played that day, though I also liked a Tacoma D-20. The Larrivee new was $900. with case; the Tacoma was $800 used (but had some of the bubbling finish that marred their early production). The Larrivee had a complex, sonorous sound that just knocked me out, and it played beautifully - nice neck and big frets. It's no-frills but the woods (all solid, carefully matched) looked like what you would find on a much more expensive guitar. I would definitely check them out if you're in the market. I'm hoping to find a used one (though I want to try the L style body - kind of a cross betwen the dreadnought and the orchestra body) for about $600.. So does that qualify as 'inexpensive'.....?

tj, I love that guitar in rosewood. D-03R: http://guitaradoptions.com/store/product.php?productid=17448&cat=257&page=1

t_ross33
February 21st, 2008, 11:13 PM
Check out Garrison (http://www.garrisonguitars.com). :canada:

A buddy of mine ordered one up a few years back, before they really took off, after reading about the "plastic" bracing in a trade mag (we worked for a rotational molding company at the time).

It is a very sweet sounding guitar. Not cheap, but nowhere near Martin territory either.

Trev

street music
February 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
I have tried the A&L in a cherry top, great sounding guitar and I own A Godin electric and love it. I have owned 2 Fender acousticd, that were both used and were ok, had one Washburn that I was never happy with the problems from braces coming loose. I now own a TAKAMINE that is a really great acoustic-electric and better than many other brands that I tried. I have played some nice Washburn, Taylors and Martins but I settled for great sound and playable feel rather than huge $$$$$ for the same.

tjcurtin1
February 23rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
I went back to the Larrivees and this time found that I most liked the OM3 -orchestra size - in Rosewood. Sounded much nicer - balanced, rich, clean - than the D03 I played last time. But I decided that, given the fact that I like the sound of my A&L cedar top (made by Godin/Seagull) that I should try the top-end Seagull Artist Mosaic with a cedar top. NO ONE in NEw England carries this guitar! So, I used my 20% off coup from MF and ordered one. I figured that if I decided to keep it, it is a good deal ($600.). When I got back to the Larrivee dealer, no more OM3 to try it against..... Frustrating!

In any case, the Seagull has a lovely sound - soft, clear, with rich harmonics. And it is really beautiful - much nicer looking than what you can tell from the Seagull website pics. THe mahogany is gorgeous, choice stuff, and it has nice purfling on the body and back as well as a herringbone soundhole and an abalone seagull at the 12th fret. Light and resonant body and top which I expect would develop nicely over time. It's growing on me, thought I suspect that the OM3 might win me over with more volume and warmth. I'm looking for a used one; then I could chose the keeper and sell the other.

magoo
February 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Check out Garrison (http://www.garrisonguitars.com). :canada:

A buddy of mine ordered one up a few years back, before they really took off, after reading about the "plastic" bracing in a trade mag (we worked for a rotational molding company at the time).

It is a very sweet sounding guitar. Not cheap, but nowhere near Martin territory either.

Trev

The problem there is that garrison, is no more. Gibson has bought them.
The shop is just past my backyard.
They are making some nice new Gibson guitars there.
There are a few Garrisons left but not many.
I have one of their mandolins and just loves its sound.:rockon:
The bracing system is cool but , I hear its not for all climates.