PDA

View Full Version : Proud Father Comment

just strum
December 23rd, 2007, 06:42 PM
I forgot to mention that my avatar is a picture of my daughter from last Christmas (self-portrait). She entered a photo contest in Philadelphia (her first one) and the winners will be announced early 2008. She gave up a school trip so she could cover material and entry fee.

She also is entering a local contest that is sponsored by the city. In that one she has to submit photos of local residence enjoying the parks and recreation services in the town.

Anyway, that's my little girl (brains and witty, sprinkled with little devil).

Algonquin
December 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
Very nice Strummy. :AOK:

That's a great shot!

luvmyshiner
December 23rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Sweet Strum. I remember that picture and I still love it.

warren0728
December 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM
as a pro photog myself...i really like it...do you have a larger copy you cold upload....would like to check out something larger than the avatar!

Hope she does well in the competition! :AOK:

ww

sunvalleylaw
December 23rd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, thanks for sharing the pride! I hope she does well!

just strum
December 23rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the kind words. If she loses, she will be hell to live with. If she wins, she will be hell to live with.:messedup:

warren0728
December 23rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
If she loses, she will be hell to live with. If she wins, she will be hell to live with.
my daughter is only eight (almost nine) but that statement rings true for her too!! :messedup:

ww

tunghaichuan
December 23rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words. If she loses, she will be hell to live with. If she wins, she will be hell to live with.:messedup:

Well, since you lose either way, I hope she wins :D

tung

warren0728
December 23rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Well, since you lose either way, I hope she wins
+1000 :D

ww

SuperSwede
December 24th, 2007, 12:34 AM
my daughter is only eight (almost nine) but that statement rings true for her too!! :messedup:

ww

Yup, same here! +1

tot_Ou_tard
December 24th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I had noticed your avatar & thought it was really cool.

That goes bazilliony-so after learning that your daughter took it.

Good luck to strumette! Or is her name Just Shoot!?

just strum
December 24th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Or is her name Just Shoot!?

Thanks Tot. Regarding the name, with her mouth your close.:D

tot_Ou_tard
December 24th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks Tot. Regarding the name, with her mouth your close.:D
:rotflmao:A foul-mouth shutterbug? Give her a cigar & a six-pack for Christmas & send her to work for the Daily News. :rotflmao:

Childbride
December 24th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Strum, i've always loved that picture! :D

robert43
December 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Very good work by your daughter :master:

Kazz
December 25th, 2007, 05:12 AM

ww

Same thing here X2 with a 10 year old and a 2 year old.

just strum
January 19th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Well, unfortunately neither of my daughters pictures were chosen to be part of the 150 that will be in the running for the awards. About 3,000 entries and 150 selected.

She was a bit bummed out and it was compounded by a fellow student that she doesn't get along with getting chosen.

It is her first time entering a photo contest and the most important thing is for her to maintain her interest. I told her I was very proud of her and it doesn't mean that the photos weren't good, only that they weren't what the judges were looking for.

warren0728
January 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM
as a photographer....i would love to see the pics she entered

ww

sunvalleylaw
January 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Sorry the judges did not pick hers. Hopefully she likes her work of its own accord and will keep entering. Just cause the judges don't pick you does not mean you weren't good. Like you already told her. I would love to see the pics too.

just strum
January 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
To start, she needs to take the time to study composition, such as framing, balance, contrast, rule of thirds,... I dug up a bunch of my photography books, so she has good starting material.

She has an eye for seeing things differently and I told her that could serve her well as she progresses in the world of photography and art.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/1597476f2a0fa172d.jpg

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/1597476f2a6779910.jpg

Not entered, but in hindsight, maybe we should have. This is her self portrait I used as my avatar during Christmas.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/1597476f2b90a3d03.jpg

sunvalleylaw
January 19th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Love 'em! good eye, but I was like her. had a decent eye but did not pursue long enough the good fundamentals to develop (pun intended) the shot once my eye saw something. May be a retirement pursuit when I get there.

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I really like the sense of depth & magic in the everyday that photographers have. We should all develop that sense of attention to the world.

She should think about going to RIT (Rochester Institue of Technology) in Rochester New York. They have a world class photography department (mainly due to Kodak's influence).

Rochester ain't spectacular, but the weather won't be that different from Ohio.

just strum
January 20th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. The fact that I'm her father will obviously make me a little more admiring of her work, but I hope I recognize true talent. She has a lot of work and has to realize it's not just point and click. I got her a copy of Photoshop so she can work with her photos.

Tot, she has been looking at schools and gathering information. I'll ask her if RIT has been part of her research, if not, I'll tell her to check it out.

piebaldpython
January 20th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Hey Strum,
Congrats on your daughter's accomplishments. I LMAO over your comment "win or lose, she'll be hell to live with". ahahahha Reminds me of the Sonny Landreth slide guitar tune "Hell At Home". Having a 21 yr old daughter too, I can relate. God Bless their hearts and WOE to the jerk that breaks them (their hearts I mean, lolol).