PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of Lessons - Again!

just strum
December 23rd, 2007, 11:11 PM
For a little over six months I've kicked around the idea of taking lessons, but time and money seem to be the hurdle. There is a place near my house that offers a really nice package where you have your regularly scheduled 1/2 hour session that you pay for, but you can come back anytime during the week for assistance/mentoring.

I may have mentioned this early on, but the thoughts of taking lessons has entered my mind again. Here is the guy I was thinking about signing up with:
http://www.gitterpicker.com/lessons/dave.asp

After you read Dave's short bio, click on "Meet the Teachers" and check out the other instructors. Then click on "About the Program". When I first looked into it the cost was $95 a month.

Spudman
December 24th, 2007, 12:41 AM
In my opinion a half hour just doesn't cut it. Too long though might be too much information to digest. I've always felt that an hour lesson is about right.

Watching a lot of players is a great learning tool too. If you can go see someone play, anyone, get close and observe then realize that you have the capacity to do the same things they did. It's a great motivator.

Also, get away from the computer and immerse yourself in the guitar. Play with records, try to figure out licks from the records, play along in your own style. Just play more guitar.

just strum
December 24th, 2007, 05:35 AM
I checked around with a few places in the area and they all offer only 1/2 hour lessons. I like to warm up before I start playing and can easily take a 1/2 hour just for that portion of my playing.

I'm not really on the computer that much. Logged in, but only dabbling on the computer during breaks. My weekday guitar time could stand for a little more time spent playing, but on weekends it's nothing for me to set up at 8:00 AM and not shutdown until 11:00 PM. Now that's not solid playing, but there is a lot of playing in there.

A big let down for me was the temporary loss of a playing partner. The guy that lives 10 minutes from my house blew his arm out lifting weights. Most of his right arm is purple due too torn muscle. So needless to say he will be out of action for awhile. The other people I know that play live 40 to 50 miles away:eek:

Until I decide, I'll just keep pursuing being self-taught.

warren0728
December 24th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I checked around with a few places in the area and they all offer only 1/2 hour lessons. I like to warm up before I start playing and can easily take a 1/2 hour just for that portion of my playing.
i have been thinking again of taking lessons...i think when it comes to music stores...they like 30 minute lessons so they can book more students per day....maybe check with instructors that are independent or come to your house (that's what i am going to do) and they me be more flexible about the length of each lesson).

ww

Robert
December 24th, 2007, 09:19 AM
GitterPicker - how much are the lessons? Looks like a good choice.

just strum
December 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM
GitterPicker - how much are the lessons? Looks like a good choice.

Back in approximately April it was $95 a month for weekly lessons. Then you could come in at other times for free to work with someone on your lesson, which I thought was a unique approach.

During my time off after New Year, I think I will stop in and talk to the instructor.

The $95 isn't a lot, but then I remember I'm putting a kid through college and have one more right on his heels.

tot_Ou_tard
December 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM
If you can swing it, why don't you try it for a month. Go in as often as you can for the free extra help.

Even if you decide to drop it (too expensive, not your bag whatever).
You'll certainly have learned something useful.

Robert
December 24th, 2007, 10:15 AM
So you get in total 2 hours for $95, plus "mentoring" opportunities with other instructors?

just strum
December 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM
So you get in total 2 hours for $95, plus "mentoring" opportunities with other instructors?

Yes, and you could end up getting mentoring with the same instructor, it all depends on schedule.

If you can swing it, why don't you try it for a month. Go in as often as you can for the free extra help.

Even if you decide to drop it (too expensive, not your bag whatever).
You'll certainly have learned something useful.

Good point. I would stop going if I didn't like the style of the instructor, so I guess the same would apply for what you are saying.

aeolian
December 24th, 2007, 11:07 AM
When I took lessons back a few years ago I did half-hour lessons once a week. If the instructor and you are prepared ahead of time, a half-hour lesson can be very productive.

That's my experience.

VSTAR
December 25th, 2007, 01:39 PM
When I took lessons back a few years ago I did half-hour lessons once a week. If the instructor and you are prepared ahead of time, a half-hour lesson can be very productive.

That's my experience.

I used to be a guitar teacher years ago , so forgive me if I sound prehistoric. I agree with the other guy who said play your guitar and at every opportunity play with better guitar players

I am not impressed by what today's teachers are teaching . In Houston most of the teachers are just teaching chops from soundtracks . This is not a guitar player to me.

Most of these people can play real fast cool chops but cannot read music or understand anything about timing or dynamics. A good teacher and a half hour lesson can take you much farther then learning some Metallica Chops.

Used to be an organization called the American Guild of Music ( great teachers) and you had a chance to compete with other equally trained students.
Please forgive me but just my .02 worth

just strum
December 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
VSTAR,

Welcome to the forum. You should take the time to go over to "The Fret Players" section and introduce yourself.

I plan on going to the two locations near me and talk to the instructors that I am interested in working with. The credentials are good, but I want to get an idea of how they teach and what is the first approach they take with a new student. Since you are obviously familiar with teaching and have an opinion on the subject, what questions would you recommend I ask the instructors?

VSTAR
December 25th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Again these are my interests in teaching ...By the way I am originally from Ohio .
Will I learn how to read music with a good base . Once you learn a little about reading music ( not just tab ) you will understand more about what you are playing. Even the Nashville guys you jam with might say ( follow me on a 1 , 4 , 5 Key of A ) Everyone learns this

I used to tell my students if you don't count you wll never be a count!! I can teach riffs and chops all day long but when it comes down to playing with other people you need the sense of timing and dynamics. As a kid I took lessons from a Jazz / blues player from the Cincy . Area . His name was Gene Shiverdecker , I remember how I hated that style as a kid in the 70's as rock 4 /4 was what everyone played. Now today I appreciate what this man taught me .

Kind of a side story I live in Texas today and play around Texas and La. When I moved to Texas I heard about these great guitar players from the backwoods of east Texas . They play a spanish tune style blues or jazz.
Wow you talk about something different , I ended up working with some young guys at a church in Crocket Texas to learn this style . This style is taught in the black churchs and is the style of tuning the early Rolling Stones used on Honky Tonk Woman , Brown Sugar Etc.

You can always learn new styles, riffs and chops . But please learn to read some music and learn the dynamics of timing

just strum
December 25th, 2007, 03:59 PM
My objectives going in include developing and understanding the dynamics of timing. While I have a sense of timing, I realize my shortcomings when I get together with a friend to do some jamming.

I want to get a better understanding of the basics. I don't lack determination and desire, but it's difficult to understand things I read either in books or in forums like this. It is my belief that I will advance at a better pace if I lay down a better foundation that will help me understand better the knowledge I seek on my own.

I enjoy playing for me and get a lot of satisfaction from progress and hearing new sounds coming from my guitar. I am not under some impression of someday making a living doing this, too old and don't have the time. It's a hobby, an escape, but that doesn't mean I can't strive to be good.

An Ohio guy, huh. Well remember to post in the other section and introduce yourself.

aeolian
December 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
My specific intent when I took lesson was to improve on composing (in my case, I call it just making up music). Most of my time with my teacher was on theory and it has helped me a lot.

If you learn the basic scale (7 out of 12 notes), then learn how to construct each of the chords of the scale (again, 7 chords), learn why the 7 chords are just made out of 3 triad chords, you will pretty much have learned most of what you need to harmonize to any song.

Beyond that you can start to learn about extended chords (4 notes or more), voicing, etc.

A good teacher can probably teach you the first set of theory in 2 hours. It may have to be repeated a few times for it to sink in, but it will be worthwhile.

Childbride
December 25th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Strum, the bottom line is this. when i just played, when i first played, i focused on certain songs and never really MOVED anywhere. now i'm flatpicking, hammering, doing pulloffs, learning new songs, and being the type of personality that i am, i HAVE to impress the kaka out of my teacher, so i practice and memorize my lessons... all in all, it makes you a better player. my 30 minute lessons once a week have made me grow by leaps and bounds.

now, with the xmas present my mom just gave Shiner, i'm about to wander into the realm of fingerpicking. simon and garfunkel. and i can't wait.

just my .02 cents. :D

merry xmas, my friend. ;)

just strum
February 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Well, I've procrastinated long enough, I'm going tomorrow to sign up for lessons at http://www.gitterpicker.com/lessons/lessons.asp

It's long over due and at the beginning of the year my commitment was to accelerate the learning process.

I was at the store today to look at Fender guitars and I got to talking to one of the instructors. He invited me to a monthly jam session and I commented that I wasn't at that level to jam with experienced players and I needed to get off my *** and sign up for lessons there. So I went home and mentioned to my wife a I received a sound response of encouragement.

So tomorrow I am going up there, signing up and getting one of the instructors that specializes in blues.

Going to probably use my Dot, so I will take that up there to have it set up. When I was looking at their Fenders and other guitars I was really impressed with the set-ups on every one of them.

This is the place that charges $95 per month, but besides your weekly lesson, you can come in any day or everyday of the week for mentoring with an available instructor. The program has been active for some time now, so it must be successful for them and the students.

Again, procrastinating is done - it's time to get this show on the road.

tot_Ou_tard
February 17th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Excellent Strummy! I hope you get what you need from it. Enjoy!

luvmyshiner
February 17th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Good for you Strum. You've been wanting to do this for awhile and I know you'll enjoy it. But your wife might not be so encouraging when the groupies start knocking down your door.:master:

just strum
February 17th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Well, I just came back from the music store and signed up for three months of lessons. A decent deal at $90 per month (got a little discount;)). This is the place that offers:

"Students pay a flat rate per month for lessons and are scheduled for a regular weekly lesson. In addition, students are encouraged to call in any day to schedule additional "mentoring" sessions for no additional fee. These practice sessions do not need to be with the student's regularly assigned teacher, and they can include other GitterPicker students if the students would like."

My lessons are at 10:00 Saturday mornings.

I also took my Dot in for set-up. The place got busy and the guy kept on getting interrupted with phone calls and customers questions. He kept on apologizing for the delay - Hey, I'm stuck in a guitar shop, what the hell do I care about delays?

Childbride
February 17th, 2008, 04:37 PM
:bravo: :beer:

i think you'll be really happy with that decision, Strum.

they really help me a lot, and motivate me to play as much as possible. :)

mrmudcat
February 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
just do it!!!!:beer:

just strum
February 18th, 2008, 02:44 PM
thanks everyone - I'm really excited about the lessons.

I told the instructor that I want to correct bad habits and understand the make-up of playing guitar as my first priorities. He told me the first thing most people say is "they want to learn to play a song"

Here is my instructor.

http://www.myspace.com/MichaelGradyMusic

Edit: If you are interested, here's some more info from Google.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=Michael+Grady+Blues&btnG=Google+Search

Robert
February 18th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I think you are doing the right thing. You'll have lots to work on now... and that's a good thing.

just strum
February 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
Well, My first lesson is tomorrow morning at 10:00 (I think that's 3:30 metric). My Dot is in to be set-up and that was the guitar I was going to use for my lessons. So now it's either the Epi SG or the Ibanez ARC300. I feel like a teenager getting ready to go to the HS dance, trying to figure out what he is going to wear.

Maybe I should run out and get a new guitar for the occasion:D

mark wein
February 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Have fun!

Kazz
February 23rd, 2008, 05:56 AM
Kudo's to you Mark....glad to see you finally took the plunge....I am still procrastinating....and have not seriously picked up the guitar in weeks....I need motivation these days I guess....winter sucks.

just strum
February 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Well today was a free session and more of a meet and greet than anything else. I woke up at 9:30 (finally sleep in, but on the wrong day), my lesson was at 10:00. Brushed my teeth, threw water in my face and out the door. Got there about 10 minutes early and the instructor was late (5 min). As we were getting started the owner stuck her head in the room and she tells me I have another free session because of the late start.

Anyway, I can tell already this is going to be a great experience. We basically went through musical taste, I discussed my goals, and then we just sort of played so he could get an idea of my existing knowledge.

I'll probably start to take advantage of the mentoring program this week and visit for a session or two with other instructors. The only problem is it's a short week as I have to head back up to Toronto on Thursday.

After lessons, I went and played some Strats and Tele's. I left there and went to another music store about 5 miles down the road and played some G&L's and a 1970 Sheraton.

Hello, my name is Just Strum and I'm a Guitaraholic. However, I am not joining the 12 step program unless it refers to buying a guitar for every month of the year.:D

tot_Ou_tard
February 23rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Just beyond cool Strummy!!!

Good luck & keep us posted.

just strum
February 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Just beyond cool Strummy!!!

Good luck & keep us posted.

Thanks Tot - you will be the first one I send front row tickets to when I start touring. You have any rest homes near you?

warren0728
February 23rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
congrats strum....i hope to start my lessons soon....i feel like it is the only way i am going to get where i want to be as a guitarist :greenguitar:

ww

mark wein
February 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Very cool! You'll have to kepp us posted on how things are going!

peachhead
February 27th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Man, I'm jealous. That really sounds great. Someone started up a music school not far from me- lessons are set up by semester and classes are roughly 350/sem. Private lessons are $35/half hour and classes are the same rate but for an hour (I think you get a break for the whole semester). I think I am going to talk to them tomorrow to get a feel for the place.
I like your place's setup though. Wish we had one of those! I am looking forward to hearing more about it. Good luck!

just strum
March 8th, 2008, 06:31 PM
The lessons are going great, I look forward to them every Saturday. I can't believe I struggled with bar chords before taking lessons and now it requires no thought. We worked on strum patterns today and Eagles Take It Easy. Now an Eagles fan, but good song for learning strum patterns.

We are having a major snow storm and they called to make sure I was going to be there. I told them there was no way I would miss my lesson and if my instructor wasn't there I would wait around for another. Turns out he was there and we had a very productive session - a half hour just flies by.

I took the new Strat with me and had three instructors drooling:drool: . Very complimentary comments about all aspects of the Strat. My instructor didn't see me walk in and did as usual grabbed a guitar off the rack to use for practice. He walks in with an American Strat - the two sounded sweet together.

warren0728
March 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM
sounds great strum....was just goofing around with my acoustic....having a scotch...and reading your post is just getting me more excited about my first lesson on tuesday! :greenguitar:

ww

just strum
March 8th, 2008, 06:36 PM
...getting me more excited about my first lesson on tuesday! :greenguitar:

ww

We expect to hear progress reports from you. You are going to love them and they get better with each session.:AOK:

just strum
March 15th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Today was a little more work on strum patterns. I'm a little disappointed in my progress in this area. I think I picked up bad habits or technique while being self-taught and it seems to be harder to break those habits and relearn something. The instructor is telling me to keep the strum hand moving at a steady pace and bring the pick down on the strings a specific up or down strums. I tend to pause rather than make the strum motion without touching the strings (I hope I explained that so it can be understood).

Despite that, I am making progress. Last week he had me working with an Eagles song and I am not even close to being an Eagles fan, probably would listen to Karen Carpenter before the Eagles.:poke:

So today we worked on The Stones, Love in Vain. I like both the Let It Bleed and Exile On Main Street CD's so it's music I can relate to.

As simple as I figured strumming would be, it is providing me an unexpected challenge. I welcome any tips from the fretters here that might have some good suggestions.

sunvalleylaw
March 17th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I have had the same problem, and though it is getting better, I still am not excellent at it. I did it a lot on my first attempts at learning Neil Young songs. I was a particular offender on "Old Man".

just strum
March 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I'm glad to hear it isn't just me. The instructor tells me it's not uncommon to have the problem, but I always take that as a confidence building comment.

I am finding that the first couple of sessions have uncovered bad habits or incorrect technique. I am not a believer in "correct technique" as I am in "best technique" that being - whatever works best for the person doing the learning.

street music
March 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Strum you said, that you aren't a fan of The Eagles? I'm a little surprised but then I know each of us have different likes and dislikes. IMHO some of the best songs have come from The Eagles and I'm trying to learn to play a few of them.
As for the strumming I have had problems similar to yours , as it just doesn't feel right to keep my hand moving if I'm not making contact with the guitar.

just strum
March 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Strum you said, that you aren't a fan of The Eagles? I'm a little surprised but then I know each of us have different likes and dislikes. IMHO some of the best songs have come from The Eagles and I'm trying to learn to play a few of them.
As for the strumming I have had problems similar to yours , as it just doesn't feel right to keep my hand moving if I'm not making contact with the guitar.

Regarding the Eagles: It's just not my style of music, plus Hotel California and Desperado really soured me on the Eagles as the airplay became intolerable. The same holds true for Led Zeppelin - After 10,000 airplays of Stairway to Heaven, Robert Plants voice and what I feel is his crappy stage presence, it just soured me on them.

I can probably tolerate a song of theirs every once in a while, but neither rank high on my list.

As for the guitar playing, I basically am having the same problem that you are referring to. Solution: Practice, practice, practice.;)

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2008, 07:10 PM

Strum, Street, dial up some of Lev's vids on youtube and Robert on dolphinstreet for some good examples. I just try to watch and copy and hope it comes out right some time. When I was really struggling with it on "Old Man" my former instructor said what I was playing was musically correct, but that he "could not watch me do it" because it was so messed up. :rotflmao:

Ok, not in the exact words "so messed up" but that was the general idea. LOL!!

just strum
March 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Strum, Street, dial up some of Lev's vids on youtube and Robert on dolphinstreet for some good examples. I just try to watch and copy and hope it comes out right some time. When I was really struggling with it on "Old Man" my former instructor said what I was playing was musically correct, but that he "could not watch me do it" because it was so messed up. :rotflmao:

Ok, not in the exact words "so messed up" but that was the general idea. LOL!!

It seems like acoustic songs are so distinct that the combination of video and audio help. I've been watching some Ray LaMontagne and watching his movement closely. If you are able to get the movement, chances are you can do the songs C, G, D7,.... - nothing fancy, good strumming songs.

3VBVqE-UtHw

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Yeah, exactly. For example, I have focused a bunch on trying to do some Neil songs. One can get some of the basic strumming for the chord changes without too much trouble, and if you just follow the TABs and strum, you can do it well enough for campfire purposes. But if you really listen, he is catching different strings in different patterns depending on where he is in the song, and really changes up the sound. Only a combo of watching vid and listening tells you the full truth. Sheet music or TAB does not. In fact some Tabs I found said something like "Neil does some fancy right hand Neil stuff here. Listen for yourself and figure it out" or words to that effect. LOL! But you watch the vid, and even in parts where clearly no notes or fewer notes than full strums are sounding, he is moving that hand up and down in rhythm, unceasingly in time.

just strum
March 18th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Well at least three of us can relate to this part of the journey. I like Neil Young (electric and acoustic) and should probably indulge more in his music. I know bits of a number of his songs like Helpless, Old Man and Heart of Gold to name a few, but never worked them all the way through.

Only one problem Steve - no more acoustic guitars here :cry:

But my RP350 that is arriving Thursday has the capability of duplicating a dread and a jumbo, so all is not a total loss:bravo:

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Only one problem Steve - no more acoustic guitars here :cry:

Hey, no worries there. I like to mess with Old Man and Heart of Gold on my strat, with the Bad Monkey on to warm it up a bit, straight to the amph. Play light, and that Em7 sounds so nice! If I wank on it too hard, not so nice. Good practice for control and cleaning up my pick attack, strumming motion, etc.

just strum
March 29th, 2008, 02:25 PM
My regular instructor is out of town this weekend, so another one filled in. I arrived about 20 minutes early as I normally do so I have time to look and play the guitars. When I walk in, the instructor is standing at the counter, I introduce myself and he asks if I want to get in some free extra time. Not one to pass up "free" (free is good), we got started.

He started off with the usual "What music do you like?" "What artist do you like?" He started messing with Purple Haze and as he started, I commented that I wasn't there to learn "a" song, but I want to learn how songs are structured. He smiled and commented what a pleasant surprise it was to hear that. We then spent about 45 minutes breaking down some songs and reviewing the commonality in many songs.

As I was leaving I asked if it would cause a riff should I request to change instructors. So I changed instructors and beginning next Saturday I will be working with Mike.

I liked the other instructor and learned from him, but there was something clicked with this instructor. I understood his instructions and I recognized where we were going and how the pieces fit together. Now next Saturday cannot arrive soon enough.:rockon:

tot_Ou_tard
March 29th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Very nice Strum!

As far as strumming goes, when I first start a pattern or a new chord progression, I try to just make sure that the ups & downs are in the right place & in time. Once I am comfortable, I turn the amph up and explore the nooks & crannies.

There is so much expression to had in a simple strumming pattern. I keep playing it over & over again. At some point the thing starts to take off & take on some life of its own. That or my wife tells me she's gonna shoot herself if I don't use my headphones.

Then it's back to square one for the next pattern/progression ;).

I agree that notation doesn't tell the real story for rhythm or for lead.

Childbride
March 29th, 2008, 03:32 PM
very cool, Strum! :D :dude:

just strum
April 5th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Worked on a couple of things today at lessons. Some blues, two scales and then worked on "Keep On Rockin' in the Free World". It is a song that both the instructor and I like, so it was a fun time to put in some minutes on the song.

When I got home I was looking at a couple different versions on youtube and came across this one I hadn't seen before.

F3pQZ5Y6pzU

I thought I had the audio to the original Neil Young version on my computer, but I either erased it or never had it in the first place. Anyway, fun song, except my 10'x11' room doesn't provide me the room to roam the stage.:D

So that was todays lesson. I've been combining my lessons with Mark Wein's lessons and some of the things found on Robert's DolphinStreet. The combination of the three have really helped my progress over the past couple of weeks.

just strum
April 19th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Well, another good lesson. Reviewed Keep on Rockin in the Free World from my lesson two weeks ago, reviewed quickly strum patterns, and then started working on Born on the Bayou.

Going into some Hendrix in two to three weeks.

Hope lessons are going well for the others - would love to hear some feedback on what you other guys are working on in your lessons.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/dj.gif

warren0728
April 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hope lessons are going well for the others - would love to hear some feedback on what you other guys are working on in your lessons.
ok....here is a quick update....i'm currently working on albert king stuff....deconstructing some of his signature licks and am working on "born under a bad sign"....i can play most of the baseline leads and am now working on some of the licks throughout the song....i'm still enjoying my lessons but sometimes get frustrated when my fingers don't move where or as fast as i want them too....you may be able to teach an old dog new tricks but it definitely takes longer! :thwap:

ww :greenguitar:

just strum
April 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
I sometimes find that the things I can do in the comfort of my own home, in my own room, I cannot do as well during lessons. I hate to say it, but I get nervous at lessons. http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/ahhhhhhh.gif

I guess those nerves are the same thing that prevents me from posting clips or even giving thought to getting up on a stage. Oh, and maybe a little because I still suck at playing guitar.

Childbride
April 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
i experience the same phenomenon. i can nail it here at the house, Shiner and Katie watching, then totally tank in front of my teacher.

mebbe part of it is the perfectionist in all of us in wanting to do well so badly that we psyche ourselves out.

i keep telling myself that i'm doing this for me, and that i love it, and to not over-think... just go in and do my thing.

and i will also state that it takes me much longer to learn/memorize my lessons than it did as a kid/teen. which just reinforces my belief that i need to pursue it to exercise that big ole muscle between my ears. ;)

sunvalleylaw
April 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
That had left me with my old teacher after some months but is back with this new one and after having taken on some different learning projects. A combination of the theory or technique not being owned by me yet and some nervousness due to knowing I don't own it yet make my performance at lessons less than at home. (can I write a wordier sentence?) But I just have to get over it, and I do it now by just telling my instructor I am feeling nervous, and moving on anyway. He is good about it, and sometimes we then get into it enough that the nervousness goes away and I am just playing with it.

On another note, (LOL, that one always gets me.) would any of you be interested in comparing notes (LOL!) on how you are approaching things? It seems that some of us are working on similar things, and Mark Wein is tracking the areas I am working on, so it might be useful for one of us to pick a lesson topic (song, scale, theory etc.) and state how you are approaching it in lessons and how you are practicing, and what is working and what is not. Kinda like a good old study group. CB, I bet you remember those from law school. Once I had my outlines down, some of my most productive study time. Anyhow, how 'bout it? If someone has an idea, start it off, maybe in a study group thread. If no one has an idea, I bet I can come up with one.

just strum
April 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
and i will also state that it takes me much longer to learn/memorize my lessons than it did as a kid/teen. which just reinforces my belief that i need to pursue it to exercise that big ole muscle between my ears. ;)

Boy, I agree with the part about taking longer at my age than it did when I was younger. I don't dwell on it because I don't want to build brick walls, but carries some truth.

Last Saturday when I went for lessons I heard someone playing Here Comes the Sun and doing a good job of it. I expected to walk in the room an see someone in their late teens or early 20's, but it was a kid about 8 to 10 years old. I looked at my instructor and mumbled "damn punks" in a joking way.

Childbride
April 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
SVL... (shudder) study groups. i remember, there were four or five of us that had our outlines for the texas bar. and we pulled so many all nighters and drank so much coffee that i can no longer drink coffee... it wore out my stomach.

blechh. i will have nightmares tonight... :messedup:

but i am not opposed to the idea in the slightest. problem is we're all working on diff stuff, right? and between now and first of june, i'm totally focused on being backup for our gig, and learning all of our songs in case one of the other players can't make it... i'm a team player in all things, tho, and love every opportunity to learn and be better at this thing that we do. i have open ears, and would love to hear your proposals.

Strum... my two main peeps that i'm covering are his star students... two middle schoolers that he's had for four or five years. i get it, in spades. ;)

totally off-subject, but we had a staff meeting today, and as part of the meeting, we watched the lecture from that gentleman from Carnegie Mellon... Randy Pausch...

we all have Greatness Within Us, and i hereby today Pledge to Strive Harder to Prove It. :)

just strum
April 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Steve/CB, I like the idea of the study group. Since as CB points out that we are all working on different things, let's try focusing on our approach to the lessons and the practice. Right now I'm struggling with practice because I am having a difficult time tuning out the outside world. I'm not throwing that out as a starter, but just an example of topic.

I guess the easiest way to describe it is making it free form and see where it takes us for now. We can always structure it as we make further progress. Since we are all at different levels to some degree, it might be the best approach for now.

Just throwing that thought out there.

It could be geared toward people taking lessons with helpful input from other members.

Any other thoughts?

street music
April 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
I step in with a few thought since my Guitar teacher decided that pills mean more than his students, I have not found a replacement that I'm confident with.
So I have started concentrating on songs that I know from way back(age factor) so I have worked into playing a good portion of Hotel California , Yesterday, Stand By Me, Crazy and working on a few more. It has seemed to help me finally get better on rythm by working with songs that I already knew or at least very familar with, rather than songs that I never really cared about that much.
Favorite songs seem to hold my interest better and the fact that Kodiak got me work Stairway To Heaven again was great too, I know it's a much hated song but I like Zepplin stuff.

Childbride
April 22nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
ok, part of being a study group is being Completely Honest. People cannot Trust you if they don't know where they Stand.

on weekdays, i Always have court wed and thurs, my rurals revolve on where they revolve. i get maybe two hours golden during work weeks, usu between 8 and 10 pm. my weekends are my treasure trove. that's where i actually perfect my playing.

my backing track is my savior when practicing. i first pick out the notes, and memorize the sequence. then i figure out what fingerings get me there fastest, and play with my backing track to get my timing down.

next? ;)

sunvalleylaw
April 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Ok, sounds good. I will freeform up what I am messing around with and see if it hits with anyone. As far as practice goes, CB kicks my butt. I don't have anything better to add, other than I am focusing on figuring out how to play the chords for a song, whatever song, in different places, what is most efficient or has the sound I want, then figure out what scale notes, chord tones, etc. exist in the "box" that exists in that area, then see where I can find notes by changing up the scale shape or mode.

Example: Black Magic Woman, I am playing it with barres at the 5th fret for Dm and Am, and sliding down a position for G. So I am identifying chord tones based on those barres. Then, I see how the regular old minor pentatonic fits. My instructor built me a little chart that shows what notes in that scale sound good over the I, IV, and V chords, so I add those notes in. Now, he has another chart of notes I am working with that is intended to be used with 5th string root chords and has a different sound. I will see if I can chart it out so you can see what I mean. This shape adds in some different notes and if you stay in that mode, sounds good, and different. Next we are learning the mixolydian scale, and then I am finding a root for the key the song is in, and playing mixo from there. This is very different. Next week, we are supposed to start deconstructing some songs and use the licks used to explore the above.

This is aimed mostly at improving improvisation over chords, and using some theory and structure to get me there. The goal is to allow me to move between different places on the fretboard, and also move between modes or scales as may be appropriate, to spice up soloing.

Adding the chord tones to the pentatonic, and extending the pentatonic box up and down the fretboard is coming along fine, but using the other shapes I am not used to is taking more time to get comfortable with.

IMO, a lot of the above relates to Mark Wein's recent lessons he has shared with us. A few weeks back, it seemed like a couple of us were working in this area. Warren, was that you? Part of why I want to do this study group sharing is if I write it out and discuss it with others, I tend to own it. Also, getting at an idea from different viewpoints or sources always helps. Well anyway, that is my freeform outline of the stuff I have been working on since taking up lessons again.

just strum
April 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Another good lesson.

1) reviewed Born on the Bayou

2) worked a little on positions on the fretboard

3) Started Hey Joe

4) closed with a couple minutes of Purple Haze

Practice for the week is to learn more of the fretboard and focus on Hey Joe.

Next week: Red House. I've started working on Red House on my own, but we will be incorporating it into next weeks lesson.

Things seem to be coming to me easier and I felt more relaxed at today's lesson. I think I'm growing more comfortable playing in front of someone and the comments from you guys earlier in the week helped.

Kazz
April 27th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Strum....I am so envious.....Red House is my favorite Hendrix tune...followed by.....Hey Joe.....

oh and CB.....my cousin went to Carnegie Mellon.....does that count?

just strum
April 27th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Strum....I am so envious.....Red House is my favorite Hendrix tune...followed by.....Hey Joe.....

Trust me, if you heard me right now you wouldn't be. It is fun and the challenge makes it exciting especially when you begin to hear the improvement and recognize there is progress. However, I need to pack a lot of sandwiches because this trip is very, very long.

just strum
May 31st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Well, a little update on how lessons are progressing. I'm not good, but I am better.

I think I mentioned in another thread that I decided to take a different route to my learning. Rather than work on songs, I wanted to learn scales and how they fit into the music I like, or maybe it's how the music fits the scales.

This was the original path I wanted to take, but we seemed to vier off the path a bit. Nothing wrong with learning the songs, but I felt I was merely mimicking rather than understanding. Learning songs can wait.

What I am finding is that as I expand my knowledge of the fretboard and get comfortable with different areas of the fretboard - by comfortable I mean to play with feeling rather than thinking where do I move my fingers next.

I'm not sure if this is the "right" way to learn, but it seems to be working for me. Since I am one of those people that has to know why they are performing a task and what is goal for the end result. This approach to the guitar just seems to fit.

The songs are still part of the learning process, but no longer the main part. The approach I am taking now is allowing me to improv and jam, which in turn provides quicker satisfaction.

My timing sucks, so that is an area I will want to begin working on. I also find myself listening to me at times and not the BT, so I end up having two separate songs or jams being played.

thearabianmage
May 31st, 2008, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure if this is the "right" way to learn, but it seems to be working for me. Since I am one of those people that has to know why they are performing a task and what is goal for the end result. This approach to the guitar just seems to fit.

The best way to learn is to learn how you learn. As everyone will say, and in this I will be no different, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to learn (obviously, learning how to play guitar just by watching videos of other guitarists isn't the best way, but you can even still learn to an extent by doing that)

But, once you learn how you learn, take advantage of it and the sky (and your lifespan) are the limit.

The songs are still part of the learning process, but no longer the main part. The approach I am taking now is allowing me to improv and jam, which in turn provides quicker satisfaction.

This is a very good attitude to take (and I don't mean to sound patronizing or anything. . .)

My timing sucks, so that is an area I will want to begin working on. I also find myself listening to me at times and not the BT, so I end up having two separate songs or jams being played.

Another important aspect of learning anything is to be your own worst/best critic. Don't just tell yourself how crap you are, but on the other hand, remember that you are not, and will never be the best. That was by no means a personal statement towards you as a player, just a fact that every person in the world, no matter what they do be it guitar, art, pool, poker, has to come to terms with.

I think you've got the right idea about things, so keep it up. Remember, it's not how long you practice, but what you practice that is the important thing.

Good luck, and remember: Have fun!!! :dude:

just strum
May 31st, 2008, 06:07 PM
thanks Joe. I am really getting into this with each passing week. I was up to about 3:00 AM last night (this morning) playing guitar and reading up on guitar techniques. Probably be up again tonight doing the same. It just seems that all the guitars are sounding so good right now that it makes it difficult to determine which one to play.

I am increasingly focusing on the blues or things with blues influence. Besides timing, I need to work on not filling up every second with guitar notes. One of the members here started this thread http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5806
this is something I have to keep in mind when I'm playing.

As for being the best, the best is only short lived and someone always knocks you from your thrown. I will stick with being determined and maybe someday getting the opportunity to play a song with the best.:D Hell, I'd settle with getting advice from the best.

Again, Joe I appreciate your comments.

thearabianmage
May 31st, 2008, 06:41 PM
It's all good, mate. And it's great fun staying up till the wee hours of the morn messin about with giddyfiddles in some sense or another! I stayed up till 4:30AM straightening the neck of a guitar I bought for £7.50, then I levelled the frets and gave 'em a crown.

It's satisfying, isn't it? Not just my little crowning and stuff, but the whole mission - staying up with the one (or one of) the things you love doing with no one else to bother you. You can get on with what you want to do, and it all just seems to flow. Maybe I'm just waxing on too much about a normal thing, though. . . (assuming it's normal for people to stay up until the early hours of the morning indulging their passions. It is, isn't it?)

warren0728
May 31st, 2008, 07:09 PM
(assuming it's normal for people to stay up until the early hours of the morning indulging their passions. It is, isn't it?)
absolutely...i stayed up till 3:30am this morning finishing a book i couldn't put down....played a little guitar every once in awhile too, to give my eyes a break!!

ww

TS808
May 31st, 2008, 07:31 PM
I had gone back to taking lessons last year around October or November but had to put things on hold due to health problems my instructor was having...too many cancellations. Nevertheless, it was helpful, and it I really liked it because it helped me polish things up a bit as well as "re-visit" some things that I hadn't done in a long time.

Another thing that I find pretty helpful is to write some rhythms on recording software and play along.

thearabianmage
May 31st, 2008, 07:34 PM
absolutely...i stayed up till 3:30am this morning finishing a book i couldn't put down....played a little guitar every once in awhile too, to give my eyes a break!!

ww

It's gotta be done! That's all there is to say. There are so many theories as to why night-time (10PM-6AM) is the best time to learn/study/practice/do things. . . But all in all. . . It just rocks! I mean, right now it's 2:30AM here, and I ain't no-where even finished for the night/morning! There's still a bonafide list I have to check off before this little Arab pushes off!

And night time is definitely the best time to read, hands down. What book is it?

warren0728
June 1st, 2008, 12:03 AM
And night time is definitely the best time to read, hands down. What book is it?
it was "the sleeping doll" by jeffery deaver....now i'm reading "step on a crack" by james patterson....it's 2:00 am here now....

ww

just strum
June 14th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Well, my prepayment ran out today, so I had my last lesson until September. This time of the year gets so busy due to yard work, that I figure I wouldn't be getting the bang for the buck.

Today we worked on Voodoo Child (is it Voodoo Child or Chile, I've seen both). Beginning fairly simple, just have to work on the rest on my own.

Just in case my instructor moves to another location, we swapped e-mail addresses and cell numbers. One of the instructors is interested in my SG, but I will need to take it in there later today or tomorrow.

So, I'm on my own for now. I have some of my books and I will be utilizing Mark Wein's lessons as well as Dolphin Street. My coworker that lives near me is on the mend after arm surgery, so that will help having someone to play with. I will actually be able to show him some things instead of only being on the receiving end of learning.

It was getting difficult to meet the scheduled time every weekend with the things in the yard growing so fast. It seemed the only time it wasn't raining was when I was at lessons.

warren0728
June 14th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Well, my prepayment ran out today, so I had my last lesson until September. This time of the year gets so busy due to yard work, that I figure I wouldn't be getting the bang for the buck.
i am not taking lessons right now either....because of summer (kids out of school) making a regular appointment wasn't working....

So, I'm on my own for now. I have some of my books and I will be utilizing Mark Wein's lessons as well as Dolphin Street.
i'm also going to use the book i got for my lessons as well as rob and mark's sites....

sounds like we are on similar paths! :beer:

ww