PDA

View Full Version : RIP Oscar Peterson

helliott
December 24th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Another great one is gone.

December 24, 2007
The Canadian Press
TORONTO — Jazz legend Oscar Peterson, widely counted among the most accomplished pianists in the world for his seemingly magical hands, has died at age 82, the CBC reports.
CBC said Peterson died at home in Mississauga, Ont., of kidney failure on Sunday night.
Peterson’s storied 50-year career took him from the jazz clubs of 1950s Montreal to the bright lights of New York’s Carnegie Hall and beyond.
He collected eight Grammys, including a lifetime achievement award in 1997, hundreds of prizes from the jazz community, the Governor General’s Performing Arts Award for lifetime achievement and was a Companion of the Order of Canada.
In 2005 Canada Post marked his contribution to music with a 50-cent stamp.
The keyboard titan, who recorded almost 200 albums, played alongside the greats of the jazz world: Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Charlie Parker, Roy Eldridge, Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole, Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie and Ella Fitzgerald.

Robert
December 24th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Oh NO. This is very sad Christmas news. Oscar Peterson was one of the best piano players to ever live.

Justaguyin_nc
December 24th, 2007, 04:00 PM
_ayQq5AQxF0

RIP

oldguy
December 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Oh NO. This is very sad Christmas news. Oscar Peterson was one of the best piano players to ever live.

I'd like to think he's playing piano for the angels now.....
RIP, Oscar.....thanks for the music.:beer:

tot_Ou_tard
December 24th, 2007, 09:23 PM
See ya' later Oscar!!

just strum
December 24th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Another example of me living in a cave - I never heard of him, but I did a search and WOW!!!

The only good thing to come from these losses - we will always have the recordings and videos to document their stay here on Earth.

Another tremendous loss for the music world.

Iago
December 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I heard from my uncle during Christmas dinner that some great jazzist had died, but he couldn't remember his name name.. so I came in here.. too bad it was you Oscar, may you rest in peace.

R_of_G
December 24th, 2007, 11:46 PM
a huge influence on many pianists who are a huge influence on me. fare thee well oscar, you will be missed.:master:

mrmudcat
December 25th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Jazz has lost a great person:cry:

tot_Ou_tard
December 25th, 2007, 07:38 AM
He was 82, he was cool, was well loved, & left us begging for more.

It's not a tradegy, it's as close to a slam dunk that a human can come.

I can only dream of being so lucky.

Death is *not* evil, it is required. I deeply admire those beautiful souls that can pull off an artistic death.

Way to go Oscar! :AOK::master::AOK:

Best way to send him off is to play some music. *That* isn't required, but it sure goes a hell of of long way toward lighting a candle rather than cursing the darkness.