PDA

View Full Version : Rondo Roundup!

LowEndWonder
December 26th, 2007, 04:06 PM
All you bass players that have Rondo basses SX, Brice, or Douglas please say which one and what you think of it. I have the SJB-62 CT Fretless.

Robert
December 26th, 2007, 04:17 PM
SX SJB 57 jazz bass - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/sx_sjb57_electric_bass/

I love it! Only drawback - a little front heavy.

oldguy
December 26th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I'd like to buy an Agile Les Paul style from them someday......
Not the answer to your question, but Rondo does sell them, and from folks I've talked to, they are really good quality for the $$$.
Not trying to hijack yer thread, continue.........:D

LowEndWonder
December 26th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I'd like to buy an Agile Les Paul style from them someday......
Not the answer to your question, but Ronda does sell them, and from folks I've talked to, they are really good quality for the $$$.
Not trying to hijack yer thread, continue.........:D

I know what you mean. I want one of those Agile AL 3100 series Les Paul copies.

marnold
December 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM
If you check the TalkBass forums, you will find tons of SX/Essex threads. The general consensus is that they are great basses for the money. The main gripes seem to be about fretwork, electronics, and tuners--pretty typical gripes for a low-end bass.

LowEndWonder
December 27th, 2007, 10:27 AM
True, I had a few fretted models P and J that had skippy feeling tuners and scratchy pots. The current fretless I have however actually has decent tuners {smooth and stay in tune}, the electronics and pots are quiet, and overall the bass sounds great! I could even solo the bridge pup or roll off the neck halfway and the sound is bearable. The 60 cycle hum seems to be at a minimum and the pups are hot enough to overcome it.
I guess I lucked out and caught an exceptional one.
The first position fret marker is slightly high, I have to sand it with an emory board, but im gonna wait because I want to stain and epoxy the fretboard.
That should remedy the problem and make the fretboard more durable and eliminate the oiling factor. Currently I have it setup and intonated so the true note is right above the fretline instead of on it, so the high fret line don't matter anyway. I like it set up this way because it's easier to play. It's like playing a fretted almost. :AOK:

Robert
December 27th, 2007, 10:50 AM
The frets on my SX bass are terrific. I got a good one, and the price is a steal on these babies. Justa has one too.

LowEndWonder
December 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I owned two fretted models in the past and I have to say, the Jazz bass in particular had a good fretjob and a really low action. The P-Bass was good but not like the Jazz. The P also had the scratchy pots.

M29
December 30th, 2007, 09:31 PM
SX SJB 57 jazz bass. Don't play it much but from what I have it is very nice. The pots are not the greatest but good enough for now.

M