PDA

View Full Version : New Years Playing Resolutions

Spudman
December 26th, 2007, 11:58 PM
So what are your playing resolutions for the new year?

Mine are to spend less time on the Internet and more time playing, composing and recording. I waste way too much time reading stuff on the net. Like Beatle Paul recently said "memory almost full." I have a good knowledge base so now it's time to put it to work. I don't need any more gear either so I can quit shopping too. Plus I'm going to get back into better shape. West Nile virus ended my competitive level training early this year and now that it can't happen to me again I hope to stay focused this year.

sunvalleylaw
December 27th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Learn those Mayer songs and some more blues songs like one or two by Bonamassa, increase lick vocabulary, learn a little more theory, play with others more. To do that, I will need to manage time better and limit my "screen time" more. I also have fitness goals and wish to attain a competitive level of fitness again.

R_of_G
December 27th, 2007, 06:27 AM
To spend more time recording.

Robert
December 27th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Shut down the Fret.Net so I can have time to play more guitar.

Ok, NOT! Hehe!

I plan on buying my Macbook Pro and then use it to both create new and better videos/video lessons and to create new and better mp3 recordings to share with the world. I'm gonna create a bunch of simple backing tracks all for free from my website.

Oh, and I'm gonna run Boston Marathon!

marnold
December 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM
To suck 50% less than in 2007!

Actually, my main goals are to increase my Blues vocabulary through the Blues U course I ordered and to add in a couple of my 80s metal favorites from the book I ordered at the same time.

ted s
December 27th, 2007, 09:39 AM
To actually learn a song to completion.

fendermojoman
December 27th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Purchase a new guitar for someone else that can't afford it but might have potential. I did this for a young 13 yr old boy I know couldn't afford it.
I gave hime some of my old gear ( Roland Cube, cable, Korg tuner, copy of eMedia Guitar Method) and a new Cort Electric. It was a very satisfying thing to do :D :D :D

just strum
December 27th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Next weekend: Develop a game plan to get better at playing guitar.

Jan 1, 2008: Implement it.

fendermojoman - highly commendable.

ted s
December 27th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Fendermojo, hat's off to you !

R_of_G
December 27th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I'd like to append my answer to include finally learning to read music.

Also, fendermojo, that's awesome! that must give you such a good feeling.

Justaguyin_nc
December 27th, 2007, 12:44 PM
This year -

1)to actually practice a song till it actually sounds right to me, before wandering off to another..

2) To have enough nerve to play in front of friends and family whenever I wish to without caring what they think.. (I still turn everything off if someone shows up at the house while I am playing lol)

Guitar Gal
December 27th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I want to learn the fret board better, start recording some stuff, and be able to improvise while playing along with backing tracks.

:rockon:

GG

Childbride
December 27th, 2007, 05:44 PM
a) get over my terror of playing in front of others...

b) learn to fingerpick

c) practice, practice, practice my keys and relative minors so when i go to Pearl or other jams, i can at least keep up w/chord changes even if i don't know the songs being played...

d) delve into a little electric this year! :rockon:

just strum
December 27th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Although I'm not happy you (Ted and Justaguyin)tend to drift before learning a song from beginning to end, I am happy to see I am not the only one plagued by that problem. I'm not sure if it's a case of getting bored, impatient or some other reason, but I tend to know a lot of "parts" of songs. Someone once told me not to worry about it at this stage because right now it's all about learning different techniques.

Bottom line, I would like a few real songs from beginning to end.

warren0728
December 27th, 2007, 06:25 PM
play more

learn complete songs

learn my way around the fretboard

improvise

ww :greenguitar:

Adrian30
December 27th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Play much more and than whatever comes out it - I'll be happy with...

Spudman
December 27th, 2007, 11:17 PM
One thing that really helps to learn complete songs is to start performing them for someone or with someone. Add that to your resolutions.:AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
December 28th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Nice one fendermojoman:AOK:.

I'd like to append my answer to include finally learning to read music.

I'll chime in here for the beginners. Learn to read as you learn to play. Since you don't know how to do much when you start, the note reading isn't very onerous & will progress with you.

It gives you more flexibility & awareness of music in general.

That's why I like method books without TAB.