PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a guitar hack (1st time playing in public in a LOOOOONG time!)

Katastrophe
March 16th, 2006, 11:18 PM
So, Centerpoint (minus a drummer) played out tonight for the first time... Here's a few impressions:

1) It was fun! We made a few mistakes, including a trainwreck on the last song, but we all enjoyed ourselves.

2) The crowd (mostly other musicians, about 20-25 people) dug our rock stuff more than the country tunes. Our other guitar player started playing "Enter Sandman" in between tunes as a joke, and the few people that were there went nuts. THAT was interesting.

3) I forgot how hard it was to play in the dark, where you couldn't see or hear everybody. Gotta work on that.

4) Thank God for the Digitech. I was plugged into a house amph, a Peavey acoustic amph. Without the Digitech there would have been no screamin' solos from that amph.

5) The adrenaline rush was still there. We snagged a drummer from another band, and played "If it Makes You Happy." We ended up rearranging the song on the fly, and did a really good job playing. Got good applause at the end with a few hoots and hollers. For a brief moment, we were all on top of the world.

It was my first time playing more than one song in public in a very long time. I can't wait to do it again!:R

r_a_smith3530
March 17th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Kat, congrats! Don't it sure feel good? You know it!!!

A couple questions. You "borrowed" a drummer? Also, you say you were plugged into the house Peavey "acoustic" amp? Do you mean a Peavey PA amp? Just curious.

Yeah, workin' in the dark takes some getting used to. I have this cool little battery powered flourescent light that I keep in my gear bag, plus a couple of bright LED "pocket" lights. These are great for finding things around the stage.

Well, if your audience is diggin' your rock material better than your country stuff, then I'd say stick with the rock!!!

Again, congrats!

Katastrophe
March 17th, 2006, 05:50 AM
ra, it shore do feel great! The borrowed drummer was from another band that was there last night. We also asked the club owner's wife to sit in on a couple of songs. The place was kind of a free for all, with different musicians getting together on different songs, with a lot of improvised jamming. I jumped up and played lead on a song with one of my neighbors and his buddy at one point, which was a blast.

The amph in question was a model that Peavey makes only for amplifying acoustic guitars. One channel, no distortion. I didn't get the model name other than "E-coustic". The signal was completely clean going into the Digitech, and very warm. Not a bad little amph to play on with a processor, IMO.:D

Robert
March 17th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Great to hear, Kat. It's a lot of fun playing live, ain't it? Hope you get many gigs - have fun!