PDA

View Full Version : Accessory Question

just strum
December 27th, 2007, 06:32 PM
In the past 1.5 years, I've purchased 7 or 8 guitars and sold a few and during that whole time I have never been able to find a strap that I liked at a decent price. Well I finally got one (Onori 3 3/4" leather strap).

Anyway, I've heard horror stories of guitars crashing to the floor and was wondering if any of you have any particular strap lock you could recommend?

luvmyshiner
December 27th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Good question Strum. I picked up a couple of Levy's for Christmas for CB and I (our first straps), and I'm worried about the same thing. I'd be curious to see what others think.

wingsdad
December 27th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I've used these on a couple of acoustic guitars...cheap & effective...they just clip over the strap button to secure the strap, so there's no need to replace strap buttons, which, with an acoustic/electric that integrates the input jack into the...er...uh...endpin/strap button...
Dunlop Plastic Clip (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/SL1S.htm)
On my 2 heaviest electrics, I installed Schaller straplock systems, replacing the stock strap buttons. They're not cheap, but they really work, available in chrome, black or gold plate. You need to dedicate a strap to each guitar, as it becomes integrated with the system:
Schaller StrapLocks (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/SL3C.htm)

pes_laul
December 27th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I"ve always liked the dimarzio clip lok straps but for buttons your best bet woul be those schaller or dunlop strap locks (I also think ernie ball makes some but I've never tried them)

t_ross33
December 27th, 2007, 10:20 PM
One thing to watch for when buying strap locks for your acoustics - check the existing strap buttons to see if they are held in place with screws or, as in the case with my Washburn, the button is more like a bridge pin and just pressed in place. You will need the screw in type to swap them out for strap locks.

I use a strap that I gave my Dad for Christmas about 20 years ago - it's a nice strap, and wasn't cheap. Plus it's a good memory for me. Problem is it is getting worn and the holes are streching out, so my git has taken a nose dive or two (luckily no damage yet). I bought a set of Schallers like I have on my Tele and my HB-30, but they won't work with the strap button described above.

If anyone has a line on strap locks specifically for acoustics, please let me know. :)

Trev

tot_Ou_tard
December 28th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I'm with Wingsdad;

Schaller for electrics!

wingsdad
December 28th, 2007, 08:25 AM
If anyone has a line on strap locks specifically for acoustics, please let me know.
That's why I suggested those Dunlop Clips. They just slip over the strap & button & are not a permanent installation.

Big K
December 28th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Fender/Schaller for all electrics!:AOK:

marnold
December 28th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I've got Schaller on all of my guitars, even though two of the three guitars I have didn't cost me a ton more than the Schallers themselves :)

Algonquin
December 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I think Schaller makes a decent locking clip for a reasonable price. I've put them on all my guitars.

Your going to want to really tighten the nut and check it often to make sure it doesn't loosen. Maybe go the the hardware store and buy a locking washer for them, or maybe add a bit of Loctite.

:beer:

duhvoodooman
December 28th, 2007, 09:37 AM
+1 for Schallers. Got 'em on all my electrics. :AOK:

I prefer that design to the Dunlop, which is possible to accidentally release. With the Schallers, even if accidentally released, the retaining cup can (and should) be mounted so that gravity holds the button in the cup.

just strum
December 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Well, no need for a poll on this one, it looks like the Schallers are the best bet for protecting my guitars.

Thanks everyone.

This is what I originally looked at

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StraplokN/

Plank_Spanker
December 28th, 2007, 04:45 PM
or maybe add a bit of Loctite.

Exactly what I do with my Schaller locks.

LowEndWonder
December 28th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Fender/Schaller for all electrics!:AOK:
+1

just strum
January 12th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Well, the number one recommendation was Schallers, but I ended up going with the Dunlops (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StraplokN/). I actually would have preferred the Schallers, but the only ones they had were nickel and cost $26. I went with the Dunlop at $13 and they seem to work just fine. They were a bear to install on the strap since the strap was too thick and made inserting the locking clip about a one hour job.

Now when I swing the guitar around my body, it won't fly off and hit my wife in the head.

Since I promised not to buy another guitar until I show marked improvement in my playing, I had to come up with another reason to visit the music shop.:D

Spudman
January 13th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Now when I swing the guitar around my body, it won't fly off and hit my wife in the head.

Pics. Gotta have pics.:poke:

markb
January 13th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I like the straplocks that come with Vogel's Mixed Grain and I get to eat the bread too, yum. Yes, I'm talking about the little plastic tags that come on bread wrappers. Free straplocks, whoopee. OK, so they don't last long but, hey, I eat a lot of bread :AOK: .
Oh and they don't work on endpin jacks on acoustics, but then what does? And they can suffer what engineers like to call "catastrophic fatigue".

OTOH I've had Schaller locks on a couple of Strats. They're good too but hard on straps. Loctite or nail polish helps to stop them working loose.

Ro3b
January 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Heh. I use the rubber washers from the ceramic plugs on swing-top Grolsch bottles. Free straplocks, and I get to drink the beer too.

just strum
January 13th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hey, Ro3b and markb you have a few things in common - 1) Free, 2) Yeast and 3) GAS of a different nature.

tot_Ou_tard
January 13th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Exactly what I do with my Schaller locks. I do that too, but that's because Planker suggested it to me about a year ago. Thanks again Spanky!

markb
January 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Hey, Ro3b and markb you have a few things in common - 1) Free, 2) Yeast and 3) GAS of a different nature.

Tee hee :D

I quite like Grolsch too :beer: