PDA

View Full Version : I found one of those songs y'all!

luvmyshiner
December 27th, 2007, 06:41 PM
You know, the song that just works?

Fortunately my mother-in-law has learned her lesson about buying presents for me . . . now she asks CB what to get. I still have the nose hair clippers and the "So You're Going to Get a Divorce" book she got me for our wedding.:confused: Now CB always guides her toward guitar books with helpful suggestions about what I'm interested in. For Christmas I got "The Greatest Acoustic Rock Guitar" book published by Alfred. Now granted, most of the songs are not what most of y'all would consider "rock guitar", but they're right up my alley.

Last night I started working on John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High". A lot of familiar chords, together with a few challenges that include alternate fingerings (like a G played at the 3rd and 5th fret, an A7sus played at the 5th and 7th fret, and a sweet little D played at the 10th and 11th fret). With all the chords played on higher frets I'm beginning to see what you mandolin players find so fascinating about the sound. I love it!

At any rate, I worked on it for about an hour and half last night, came home today and worked on it for another hour. I'm still slow and I have some transitions to work on, but it's really starting to come together. My biggest problem is that there are five verses, and four different variations of the chorus, and for those of you who don't know, I'm really bad I am at memorization. Probably too much of this ->:beer:

It's really sweet after almost two years of playing this thing to be able to see some progress. I know I'll never be on the same level as 99.99% of y'all, but when you find the right song, and everything clicks, it's such a rush.:rockon: