PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Rose Tuning Issue

scgmhawk
December 28th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Anyone who has a Floyd Rose with a speedloader system might be able to help me out with this. I just got the DST3 for Christmas and cannot get the ranger tuner set screw to turn (with the Allen Wrench) on the D string. All other strings tuned up fine. I can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts. I've already sent an email to Floyd Rose but any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Steve

LowEndWonder
December 28th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Just my two cents, I will never own a guitar with a floyd rose bridge.
Too complicated and too much to do when intonating and all that.
Im a stop tail fan. I don't even like tremolo of anykind. I guess im old school. I'll let my fingers do the bends.

oldguy
December 28th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Hi Steve. Welcome aboard!:beer: You might ask Marnold, I think he's got a Floyd.
Drop by The Fret Player's thread and let everybody say hello when you get time, then we can give you a "proper" welcome.:)

scgmhawk
December 28th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I can't say I disagree! I bought it because it was different (and cheap!) and I thought it might be fun, plus there were very good reviews for such an inexpensive guitar. We're not off to a good start, though!

oldguy
December 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Here's some threads Marnold posted, don't know if there's any suggestions there or not, I just ran a quick search on it.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3995
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3968
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3936

scgmhawk
December 28th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks, Oldguy. I sent Marnold a private message to see if he has any suggestions. I will introduce myself in the Fret Players area. This is a great board.

marnold
December 28th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Here's what I said in the PM:

I didn't have trouble with the allen tuners other than the initial problem of trying to figure out which way the allen screw is oriented. Is the screw at the limit of its range, or won't it go either way? Can you see in there with a flashlight to see if the allen head is stripped?

Thankfully, Floyd's tech support is pretty good at responding by email.
Floyds are complicated beasts, but the Speedloader really addresses most of the big issues. It's got a built in trem-stopper. The strings, while expensive, install quickly. I can change strings on my Floyd faster than I can change two strings on a standard guitar. Because the strings are ready to go, you are within about 1/4 turn of the tuning machines of being in tune. Once it's initially set up, you don't have to mess with it unless you change string gauges or tunings. Since it's a Floyd, I can wank the living daylights out of the whammy bar and it comes back to tune every time. Try THAT with your vintage trem!

As an aside, I had my Floyd set with the tremstopper for a while, but hated it. Floating is the way to go! You can get much more subtle vibrato that way.

scgmhawk
January 2nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Floyd's tech support is sending me a new saddle.

marnold
January 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Floyd's tech support is sending me a new saddle.
Excellent! I'm glad they are supporting these import guitars well. I hope they sent you instructions on how to replace it because I wouldn't have the foggiest idea. Although maybe since the saddles on the Speedloader pop up, it might not be a bad fix. Keep us posted!

scgmhawk
January 3rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
Good point about how easy it is to change! I sent the guy an email to find out how to do it or they'll be sending directions. I'll report back shortly.

scgmhawk
January 3rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Just received an email response from Andy at Tech Support. He said the fix is very simple but he will include a set-up brochure. With my technical savvy, "simple" is not usually in my vocabulary! I'll still let you know how it goes!

scgmhawk
January 16th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Just an update...which unfortunately is a reflection on Floyd Rose's customer service. The saddle that was supposedly mailed on 1/3 has not been received. Andy's (the tech support guy) email bounces back now and I've received no other response from techsupport@floydrose.com. I called yesterday and was told that it was probably mailed out but there's no way to confirm this and that I should call back in a week if I don't receive it. It's almost like they run the company out of a house. I hope this ends well because I haven't been able to tune my guitar yet and it's driving me nuts!

marnold
January 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM
It's almost like they run the company out of a house. I hope this ends well because I haven't been able to tune my guitar yet and it's driving me nuts!
In their defense, I think that's exactly what it is. I think they only have a couple of people doing tech support. This Chinese line may have resulted in them biting off more than they could chew. I did have to contact them a couple of times so that I could get the little paper manual for adjusting the trem. Why that wasn't included is beyond me. I did get it, though. I'd urge patience and keep trying to contact them.

scgmhawk
February 10th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Still going back and forth with Floyd Rose. Have not received anything as of yet -- over a month. I do get email responses periodically telling me that they are sorry for not sending it and will put in the mail today with a set of strings as an apology. That was a week and a half ago. Still nothing and no email responses last week. I know patience is a virtue but this is ridiculous. I'm glad I didn't buy one of their $2000 guitars! Does anyone, maybe marnold, know of a place I can buy replacement saddles for the speedloaders?

scgmhawk
February 12th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Well, I just spoke with Sarah at Floyd Rose who today (2/12) said that she will take care of this issue for me. She couldn't locate my prior requests and Andy, who I've been communicating with, is out of town. I'm hoping this issue gets resolved in the next few days. It's only been since 12/28!

FLHX
February 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I just remembered that Guitar World magazine had a tech sections on DVD about setting up a Floyd Rose. Starting in Feb. 2007 it went for about 4 months. They showed how to block it, change strings , intonation and tune. I have a Ibanez 540 and the DVD's made it very simple to work on. You could order some back issues if they still have them.

scgmhawk
February 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the idea. I probably have the magazines at home. I'll look when I get home.

marnold
February 12th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Sorry to hear that you've had so many problems. I don't know of any place to get replacement saddles. That doesn't mean that there isn't such a place, though. Hopefully this Sarah can come through for you.

marnold
March 2nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
Steve,

Have you heard anything back from them? Did you ever get that replacement saddle?