PDA

View Full Version : Winter Is Gone Blues

Tim
March 17th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Well the winter is gone from my nick of the neighborhood. When winter finally gets up and goes, it kind of leaves me sad. There is no longer a brisk snap in the morning air and the icy cold water fresh from the faucet is no longer there. I enjoy a nice cold glass of water first thing in the morning. So being sad that the cold water is gone, I tried recording to Robert’s Winter Blues backing track. This is my second attempt at home recording.

Justaguy – the bees are defiantly gone form the hive.

warren0728
March 17th, 2006, 08:10 PM
nice job tim....sounded really good....you are getting the hang of this recording stuff!

it's been in the mid to upper 80's here....definately getting hot early :(

ww

Spudman
March 17th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Way cool Tim. I felt like I was somewhere hot and swampy listening to an old time blues man gettin it on. Your phrasing is very good.

duhvoodooman
March 17th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Nice, Tim. Couple of good bends in there, too. While I enjoyed the clip, the sentiment is lost on me. Being a New Yorker, we're only too happy to see Ol' Man Winter pack up his bags and leave! :p

P.S. It was 26 deg. here this morning when I was driving to work. So he ain't left yet!

Katastrophe
March 18th, 2006, 07:01 AM
+1 on the phrasing. You have a very good sense of melody in a lead. I noticed more string bends, too, and they sounded like you were bending to the proper pitch.

Keep it up, and we'll have to give you a bluesy nickname, like "Hound Dog," or "Bluesmaster," or something!:R

Justaguyin_nc
March 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Good Job Tim... Glad the bees are gone and recording's are comming... keep it up!

Tim
March 18th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. It took me a while to work up a solo on this song. I still can hear some of those “sour” notes. At least I can hear them. There must be a system to playing a solo on top of chords. Like playing a certain note on a particular chord. I haven’t been able to figure that out.

Keep those nicknames coming. I think I need one just to keep up with the rest of you crazies.

Can someone tell me what phrasing is? I thought it was chord progressions in certain parts of a song.

Spudman
March 18th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Phrasing is how you "talk." Maybe if you think that you are talking with or through your guitar you might understand.
Like when you speak with your voice you say things in streams with rests or breaths in between the streams however long they are. Jazz players sometimes have very long streams without breaths or they can have short streams and very long breaths. I'm referencing horn players here.
Breaths are "space" and streams are "notes." Phrasing is compiling the two to make "phrases." As in speaking you don't aim for "run on" sentences. You use punctuation to separate phrases. In other words break up what you are doing.

Hope that helps.

Robert
March 20th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Nice work Tim, I hear no sour notes. Keep recording yourself, it's a great learning tool in itself.

A great way to improve one's playing is to sing/hum notes you "hear in your head", then try to play those same notes on the guitar.

tot_Ou_tard
March 20th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Nice, Tim. Couple of good bends in there, too. While I enjoyed the clip, the sentiment is lost on me. Being a New Yorker, we're only too happy to see Ol' Man Winter pack up his bags and leave! :p

P.S. It was 26 deg. here this morning when I was driving to work. So he ain't left yet!

Just when is he gonna go anyway? Maybe we need to shoot that damn groundhog!

Or maybe just some Hendrix style feedback psychological warfare...

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I'm singing the winter gone blues hard myself. It snowed all day Sunday and more coming tomorrow. Sigh!

SuperSwede
March 21st, 2006, 02:33 AM
We got more snow here too.. :(

Tim
March 21st, 2006, 05:17 AM
SNOW ??? Warren, did you read this? These guys are still talking about snow. And from two different countries to boot. Maybe we need to have someone from the Fret Net write a “Winter is Gone – Hello Spring” song for these guys to play every day. Then they could sing Old Man Winter away.

warren0728
March 21st, 2006, 05:45 AM
sounds like the plan....when the kids and i went on our bike ride yesterday.....it was sunny skies and about 80 degrees with a light breeze. I didn't see any snow! :D

ww

Tim
March 21st, 2006, 05:53 AM
Yea Warren I know what you mean. I am ready to turn my air-conditioning on. I do not like warm humid nights for sleeping.

I did notice this weekend while I working in my yard (with shorts and Tee shirt) that the different flowers and honey suckle where blooming. There was a very sweet smell in the warm breeze.

I also enjoy the different birds singing in the nationhood. Oh yea and the azaleas and dogwood tress are blooming also. All should be beautiful for Easter this year.