PDA

View Full Version : Just some simple Classic 30 test clips

stingx
December 28th, 2007, 03:26 PM
On another forum there's a thread comparing the C30 to the Crate Palomino 30. I threw together some clean and distorted playing to kind of showcase the sound of the C30. I used my JV Strat and mic'd the C30 with a Shure Beta 57A and went straight into the Zoom MRS-8. No coloration was added. I figured I'd post the clip here in case anyone was contemplating buying one of these amps.
My C30 has the original Blue Marvel speaker but I did retube everything with JJs. When I ordered the tubes I specifically requested a slightly earlier breakup so I was sent one different preamp tube to be placed right after the last power tube to achieve this. The volume was kept relatively low while recording so keep in mind this amp sounds infinitely better turned up.

http://www.box.net/shared/d74q41ny88

tot_Ou_tard
December 28th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Very sweet StingX.

What were the volumes like locally when you recorded these?

Kazz
December 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM
for those of us who have classic 30s...what were the settings you used on the amp

Nice eclectic sample of music by the way....loved the Yellow Ledbetter and Whats Up segments

stingx
December 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I just looked at the amp. I hadn't changed any settings since I recorded earlier today. Here are the settings...

Normal = 1.5
Pre = 8.5
Post 1.5
Reverb = not quite 5
Bass = 6
Middle = 9
Treble = 11

Depending on the guitar I'll play with the EQ. I find for the Tex Mex pups in the JV that those EQ settings work very well. I do any and all tweaking mostly on the guitar's pots anyway.

I also like turning up the Normal level to somewhere around 5-6 and controlling the volume with the volume knob on the guitar. You get really nice breakup like this.

M29
December 28th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Great examples and sweet playing very nice indeed. Thank you for these!

M29

sunvalleylaw
December 28th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Great clips as always. Nice to know about your EQ settings.

Justaguyin_nc
December 29th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Nice clips Sting.. very nice...

New years resolution states I must use what I got for one full year!!

But I always break my resolutions...sigh..
no no no..I got what I want.. <-- repeats it 100 times to self..
I'll never sound like Stingx anyways <--repeats it 1000 times to self..

but u rawk :rockon:

Kazz
December 29th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Nice clips Sting.. very nice...

New years resolution states I must use what I got for one full year!!

But I always break my resolutions...sigh..
no no no..I got what I want.. <-- repeats it 100 times to self..
I'll never sound like Stingx anyways <--repeats it 1000 times to self..

but u rawk :rockon:

Keep thinking that way Justa.....I have had my C30 for 2 years now and I definitely cannot make it sound like Stingx!

The sales person who demoed it for me was able to dial around on it and get all kinds of sounds from Nugent to Skynyrd that I have never been able to figure out what he did.

At least now I have a test scenario I can throw at it.