PDA

View Full Version : Reverend Test Drive

Radioboy950
December 29th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I'd been hearing & reading about some nice new "affordable" guitars from Reverend, so I decided to head over to a local dealer to see for myself.

I spent a great deal of time with the Manta Ray, both the HB and 290 versions. These are part of their set-neck series.

http://reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/set_neck_series.html

The Reverend bolt-on necks just didn't feel right for me, although ALL the Reverend models look absolutely stunning in person, in my humble opinion.

The semi-hollow Manta Ray played great. No complaints about action and intonation. No fret "buzz". The instruments get a pretty thorough set-up here after shipping from Korea. I was disappointed after learning Reverend no longer sells direct and no longer builds here in Warren.

Plugged into a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, the Manta Ray really sang for me. Sustain is definitely there. I'm a humbucker guy, so I really preferred the HB model, although the P90's did have a sweet bite.

This guitar is sized just right, and while it is not a heavy instrument, it still feels substantial...Gibson-like.

Finish looks outstanding. The tobacco burst is very elegant, and the gold top is just plain cool. Pics don't accurately reflect the unique finishes offered by Rev.

I believe the official price list has the Manta Ray at around $800, but the street price seems to be $550.

SO, did I buy one?? Had to pass this time.
Not to spoil the party, but as I'm finishing up at the music shop, my wife is calling on my cell and asks (with a somewhat suspicious tone) , "you didn't buy anything...did you?"

I guess I can't complain since she's been great about the Tele, Valvetronix and Rivera I bought in the last few months.:D

Rock on, my brothers & sisters!!

Spudman
December 30th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Didn't buy one? You have much discipline Grasshopper.

Thanks for the review.

oldguy
December 30th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Sounds like a sweet guitar! Kudos to you for being able to "just walk away", also. You're a rock............

(Pssst.....here's what you do.....find "the one" you can't live without....go in every day and play it, tell the salesman your birthday's coming up....he'll get tired of cleaning/polishing it, and cut you a deal for cheap!)

tot_Ou_tard
December 30th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the review Radioboy!!!

What didn't feel right about the bolt-ons?

Did you try a Jetstream 390?

I want a Manta Ray 290.

Radioboy950
December 30th, 2007, 10:13 AM
What didn't feel right about the bolt-ons?

Did you try a Jetstream 390?

Just personal preference with the neck. Nothing against the Reverend bolt-ons in particular. Generally, I like a chunkier neck, and bolt-ons can sometimes get almost too thin for me.

Although, on a side note, I find the Telecaster neck just right for me in a bolt-on style. I was blown away by the shape and satin-smooth finish that neck. My Tele and LP get equal use, I love both necks!

Sorry, I'm jacking my own thread here. Perhaps another thread or poll w/comments : Set neck vs. Bolt-on.

I did pull off the rack--but did not plug in--a 10th anniversary Jetstream (w/HB).

Slick!:dude: