PDA

View Full Version : Who's The Best Guitar Player?

LowEndWonder
December 30th, 2007, 07:59 AM
My vote goes to Jimmy Page.
Who's yours?

oldguy
December 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Here goes....
From a technically proficient standpoint... Beck(longevity), Satriani, & Vai.
"The Best"....... for my taste in music.... Stevie Ray.
So ya, Stevie Ray Vaughn. I like them all, alot, but he gets my vote, if for nothing else than "Riviera Paradise".....:AOK:
"This one goes out to everybody who's still suffering in any way"....

5M7nUMk-HvY

(I'll be surprised if somebody doesn't ask where Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen are.....:confused: )

M29
December 30th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I vote for Stevie but that could change the more I think about it.

Thank you oldguy for that vid I never heard that one. Man all that with fairly long fingernails on his fretting hand.

M29

Kazz
December 30th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I was thinking about this the other day....and the one guitar player I could listen to for eternity was Eddie Van Halen.

Spudman
December 30th, 2007, 11:30 AM
What's with all these polls? So far your requirements for best have fallen short of anyone tastes.
Instead of asking who is best how about what guitarists do you like? That can be found out by doing a couple of searches here as well.
Also if you do a poll how about some qualifiers. Best for what reason. We all know that this is all subjective opinion. In order to narrow things down and get some real information parameters need to be set.

Big K
December 30th, 2007, 11:52 AM
voted SRV, favorite for phrasing and telling a story with the stringed breast David Gilmour

R_of_G
December 30th, 2007, 01:03 PM
None of the above. My answer is Bill Frisell, though ultimately I agree with Spud that there isn't really enough criteria stated on which to make this decision.

just strum
December 30th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I voted Jeff Beck, but agree that this has no criteria and doesn't really determine the best (impossible to do), but defines who we personally like out the seven mentioned.

What defines best? I think we've been down this road before.

Justaguyin_nc
December 30th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Ummm.. I can't find the Willie Nelson button.. it should be next to the Django Reinhardt button..

R_of_G
December 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Can we discuss who there are not poll choices for? Justa mentioned Django. I didn't see a place to vote for Jimi or Duane Allman either.

stingx
December 30th, 2007, 03:40 PM
From that list you made, SRV wipes the streets with the rest of them.

Just for the record, though, the best guitarist ever in my book is David Gilmour.

Justaguyin_nc
December 30th, 2007, 04:01 PM
From that list you made, SRV wipes the streets with the rest of them.

Just for the record, though, the best guitarist ever in my book is David Gilmour.

Psssst..sting send me your toneport patch for Gilmour...;)

yup he also needs to be added...

oldguy
December 30th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I knew this would happen!:thwap:
Joe Bonamassa
Johnny Winter
Frank Marino
Chuck Berry
Buddy Guy
Angus Young
Brad Paisley
Glen Campbell
Jerry Reed
Kirk Hammett
Leslie West
BucketHead
John 5
Bill Nelson (BeBopDeluxe)
Billy Gibbons
Somebody else's turn. These are just better known pickers, IMO.

stingx
December 30th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Psssst..sting send me your toneport patch for Gilmour...;)

yup he also needs to be added...

Ok, here you go (see attached)! This will help you nail the Comfortably Numb sound. :rockon:

LowEndWonder
December 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
What's with all these polls? So far your requirements for best have fallen short of anyone tastes.
Instead of asking who is best how about what guitarists do you like? That can be found out by doing a couple of searches here as well.
Also if you do a poll how about some qualifiers. Best for what reason. We all know that this is all subjective opinion. In order to narrow things down and get some real information parameters need to be set.

Chill Out Dude! Why are you always kreteking my posts as if any of this was really so important? You're like a nagging Mother-in-Law! :poke:

aeolian
December 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I don't see Tommy Emmanuel, Les Paul, Chet Atkins on the list either. Of the list the one I can stand to listen to over and over again is Jeff Beck.

LowEndWonder
December 30th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I voted Jeff Beck, but agree that this has no criteria and doesn't really determine the best (impossible to do), but defines who we personally like out the seven mentioned.

What defines best? I think we've been down this road before.

Im glad someone gets the idea! Next time I'll have to clarify myself.
I didn't know this website was like a college course!

R_of_G
December 30th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Ok, knowing the question is actually which of these seven guitarists do I personally prefer, the answer is Steve Vai.

just strum
December 30th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Im glad someone gets the idea! Next time I'll have to clarify myself.
I didn't know this website was like a college course!

Well, you just made it through forum 101 and it's smooth sailing from here.

You have to keep your eyes peeled for the forum nazi - No post for you - one year.:rotflmao:

LowEndWonder
December 30th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Ok I get it, I could roll with it.
Thanks! :rotflmao:

king_petrucci
August 8th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I voted for satch but imo, tommy emmanuel and chet should have been there. And john petrucci aswell. I tough think to poll but seems everyone has different taste

Tone2TheBone
August 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Must have missed this thread/poll. Yeah Django for me too.

theseeker
August 8th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I voted for EC, only because of the choices given. I'm a big Keith fan but, let's face it, he stinks as a lead player and I'm not really into the shredder guy's, though I do like some Vai from his Zappa days. Beck, I never "got it" with him, Page is to sloppy, Satch is not my style. And, I know I'll get flake for this but.....I don't like SRV much at all. I've tried but, he does nothing for me.

I like this thread a lot, you get to see who everybodys favs are. For me, it's Mick Taylor.

Robert
August 8th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Somebody should start a new poll on this... there could be a lot more guitar players mentioned, and what the heck is Keith Richards even doing on that list? :confused: :D

theseeker
August 8th, 2008, 09:05 AM
We could start one called "great rythem guitar players that have done nothing of importance in 36 years". Keith Richards would win that one hands down. And I like KR.

R_of_G
August 8th, 2008, 09:10 AM
We could start one called "great rythem guitar players that have done nothing of importance in 36 years". Keith Richards would win that one hands down. And I like KR.

Keith played on Tom Waits' "Rain Dogs" in 1985 so that's less than 36 years. Not much less, but less. Definitely important though. Much more so than a LOT of Stones' albums.

Tibernius
August 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Of the above: Joe Satriani. But why isn't Carlos Santana on that list?

Spudman
August 8th, 2008, 11:37 AM
All players know that it's Jeff Beck.:)

Katastrophe
August 8th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Out of that list, I said Vai, for pure technical proficiency.

sumitomo
August 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Come on guys you know its Roach Mulligan! Sumi:D

jpfeifer
August 8th, 2008, 04:14 PM
OK. Based on the list of available players this poll my vote would go to Jeff Beck. He get's my vote for originality. I saw him live a couple of years ago and it blew me away. It was like seeing Hendrix or something. It was incredible.

Second on the list for shear enjoyment and kick butt tone would be Stevie Ray.

I have several favorites that aren't on your list.
- Eric Johnson
- Pat Metheny (not a common favorite among guitarists, but he's probably my favorite musician overall)
- Django Reinhard (the first guitar hero)

-- Jim

peachhead
August 8th, 2008, 09:31 PM
On this list, it would be close between Clapton and SRV but I think SRV would get the nod.

Not on this list...gee. Duane and Dickey, of course. Warren Haynes, George Harrison, Joe Walsh, remarkably enough Peter Frampton (who I never realized was that damn good, until I saw him live once)...Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, Roy Clark, all big influences on me growing up. I could go on but....

The Wayner
August 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM
James Burton is a great player. He played for Elvis and others through the years. While most likely not the best, he should be included on the list.

Brian Krashpad
August 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Andres Segovia.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 04:40 PM
On this list, it would be close between Clapton and SRV but I think SRV would get the nod.

Not on this list...gee. Duane and Dickey, of course. Warren Haynes, George Harrison, Joe Walsh, remarkably enough Peter Frampton (who I never realized was that damn good, until I saw him live once)...Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, Roy Clark, all big influences on me growing up. I could go on but....

I like listening to SRV, but I think it is human nature to build someone up to a higher level after they have passed. I believe (mind you, just MHO), that neither SRV or Hendrix would have even come close to the popularity that they have achieved in death. In other words, death provided them a good portion of their fame.

Again, I like their work, but overrated.

Let the onslaught begin.

tot_Ou_tard
August 9th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I can never get myself to be interested in this kind of stuff.

I try, I really do, but I find it hard to think of music as a contest. It just doesn't fit into my being that way.

I will leave you all to have a raucous good time while I slink away to go back to thinking about strange & odd pup configurations. ;)

--------Edit ------------------------------

I just looked up & noticed Sumi sang the praises of the glorious Roach Mulligan!

I've changed my attitude...It's Roach by a forty gazillion miles!

R_of_G
August 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Well if we're back to the who should be on the list game, than the answer is obviously Django Reinhardt, end of contest. He's better than anyone else and he did it with two less working fingers than anyone.

The Boss
August 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM
It's hard to pick just one, but I have to say Dave Kilminster would be right up there. This guy was playing guitar on Roger Waters' 2006-2008 World Tour and he played all of Gilmour's parts very faithfully. He also teaches and does Lick Library DVDs. There's a clip of him doing Steve Vai's "For the Love of God" on there. Amazing. Kilminster can just adapt to any piece of music and play it awesomely.

And he plays Telecasters! :bravo:

Spudman
August 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Okay you clowns, we are given a list to pick from so just pick from the list. Keep it simple. Guitar players, sheesh!:thwap:

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Okay you clowns, we are given a list to pick from so just pick from the list. Keep it simple. Guitar players, sheesh!:thwap:

You think they're bad, tomorrow is "Who is the best drummer"

tot_Ou_tard
August 9th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I don't need no stinkin' list.

hubberjub
August 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Of the above: Joe Satriani. But why isn't Carlos Santana on that list?
Santana can't be on any list after the last two albums he's done. He was such an enigma prior to those. He's a fantastic guitarist but I can't take him seriously after playing with Vanessa Carlton and Rob Thomas.

R_of_G
August 9th, 2008, 07:06 PM
You think they're bad, tomorrow is "Who is the best drummer"

If the answer to that one isn't Max Roach than someone didn't understand the question.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 07:13 PM
If the answer to that one isn't Max Roach than someone didn't understand the question.

I was going to include Django Reinhardt:D

tot_Ou_tard
August 9th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Nope. It's Roach Mulligan again.