PDA

View Full Version : My Blues Guitar DVD coming in 2008 - looking for your feedback

Robert
December 30th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Okay, so I am trying re-focus my teaching efforts on this Blues DVD I've been planning.

I would like to see what ideas you guys have for content. This is going to be a beginner Blues DVD. The length will about an hour. There will be original songs, which I will show how to play the rhythm, as well as some typical blues solos/licks. I will try to keep all playing somewhat simple, so that true beginners will be able to learn from it, but I'll add some topics of greater depth, like improvising and maybe more advanced chords, etc.

If this turns out good, I'll likely make a DVD #2, which goes into more depth.

Maybe I will be able to accommodate some of your ideas and suggestions, so let me know your thoughts soon.

I'll likely cut down on the free video lessons on my site for a while. I just don't have the time to do both.

Justaguyin_nc
December 30th, 2007, 04:26 PM
As you know Robert, I have asked a few times when this is comming out..
Anything you do inspires me.. You have already made a few nice Bluesy lessons for us beginners..

My main thing.. just little 12 bars.. E7 A7 B7, A7 D7 E7 etc etc..
and adding little note runs to them.. bluesy kinda things..
The more I mess with them.. the better it gets..
Hearing and seeing what you put together..
makes it that much easier and helpful..
simple songs... like Sweet Home Chicago.. things from Robert Johnson and light'n Hopkins..simple forms etc etc..

That's my suggestions as a newby.. although there are great solos from SRV and such..
I gotta get up from crawling and start walking before doing those..

Whatever you come up with..Im sure it will be a winner..

ted s
December 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I'm with Justa, I can benefit from anything you put together.

oldguy
December 30th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Okay, so I am trying re-focus my teaching efforts on this Blues DVD I've been planning.

I would like to see what ideas you guys have for content. This is going to be a beginner Blues DVD. The length will about an hour. There will be original songs, which I will show how to play the rhythm, as well as some typical blues solos/licks. I will try to keep all playing somewhat simple, so that true beginners will be able to learn from it, but I'll add some topics of greater depth, like improvising and maybe more advanced chords, etc.

If this turns out good, I'll likely make a DVD #2, which goes into more depth.

Maybe I will be able to accommodate some of your ideas and suggestions, so let me know your thoughts soon.

I'll likely cut down on the free video lessons on my site for a while. I just don't have the time to do both.
Kudos to you for doing a blues, Robert.:beer:
I'll offer one suggestion and one comment.
I'm sure you will spend some time on the pentatonic minor.
You had a great lesson on bends+vibrato, please remind beginners a single note, played when/where it should be, is more bluesy than a shredfest played w/o emotion. A bend w/ vibrato is a beautiful thing....

No-one who works has time to do it all. There is a cornucopia of knowledge on Dolphinstreet to anyone who wants to peruse it. You should be getting a decent price for an hour long lesson, IMO. I could surf the net, buy books, read theory till the cows come home, and I wouldn't improve one bit if I didn't pick my guitar up and play it. Beginners need basics, patience, and practice.
I can't remember how many people, young and old, asked me for "lessons".
I'd show them 3 chords, draw a diagram, tell them come back when they learned those........and never saw them again.......same thing for scales.....most wanted to learn "this kicka$$ tune", and didn't know how to tune their guitar.:thwap:
Whew! Glad I got that off my chest.:D

tot_Ou_tard
December 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Work the student up to a full song with rhythm intersperced with lead.

Teach a few bits of articulation, hammers-on & -off and a bend or two.

Much better to get to play a whole song (even if it is simple) than to make it lick-based (ie here's a lick, here's another, etc.).

Some kind'a blues shuffle would be good.

piebaldpython
December 31st, 2007, 09:02 AM
Exactly what tot_u_tard said and in spades. SRV was a fabulous rhythm player and if you could set up EASY examples/pieces of playing in that style would be the absolute BEST thing because that isn't available anywhere that I know of. That way we learn how to combine rhythm with lead and we'll all improve a lot faster. There's a lot of books/DVDs that show one or the other but not simple examples of both. Good luck Robert!!

pie_man_25
January 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
maybe you could talk about the swung rythm that's very common in blues.

also: I'm kinda curious, for being a fret member can I have a discount?

Robert
January 2nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Swung rhythm? I am afraid I don't even know what that is.

Discount? Well, let me think about that and see what we can do when the time comes..... :)

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
I really don't have any feedback other than maybe listen to me, Justa and Jasongins over on the Backing Tracks in A thread and just think, "What do these guys need?" and put it on there. :D I'll be one of, if not the very, first customers regardless of what ends up on it.

just strum
January 2nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Robert,

I think Steve might be on to something. I think the beginners are starved for something that is simple, but allows them to progress and provides a good foundation.

I'm not sure what level this DVD is going to be geared for, but I think you need to focus on one, maybe two levels. If you get beyond that you end up with little substance for any group to appreciate.

If you go beginner/intermediate (the only thing I would be interested in at this point), you have to think back to your own struggles and desires you had back then and before you became a guitar god:D :master: :D

I hope that makes sense. If not, just fire away with some direct questions.

Robert
January 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'll be one of, if not the very, first customers regardless of what ends up on it.

Ok, then I'll just add pictures of Canadian snow on that DVD and sell it to you... :D :D :D

snarph
January 2nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Basics for sue but how about Chicago and Texas flavored Blues Those are my absolute favorites as far as style of blues.

I just really relate to the heavy driven beats I know you want and need to cover stuff for the beginners But hey how hard is BOOM Boom Boom.......:):):)

Kazz
January 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Just let me know when and where I can buy it...

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Ok, then I'll just add pictures of Canadian snow on that DVD and sell it to you... :D :D :D
Ok, as long as they are good shots! I love snow!

just strum
January 2nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Picture215.jpg

my backyard shortly after plowing this morning.

It's fine if you don't have to shovel it (that's why I bought a plow) or drive in it (that's a good reason why I'm home today)

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Nice back yard, Strum! Looking at that has to give some inspiration for playing.

pie_man_25
January 2nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Swung rhythm? I am afraid I don't even know what that is.

Discount? Well, let me think about that and see what we can do when the time comes..... :)

swung rythm, I don't quite know how to explain, but when you're playing the blues, and maybe some jazz stuff, you have the whole note beat,
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +, and back to 1 on 4/4 timing, in a traditionaly played piece,the eighth notes are played evenly between the two beats,
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + , on a swung piece however, it's kinda like there's a delay there and the eighth note in between the two is closer to the later not, like so:
1 +2 +3 +4 +.

I hope I have managed to explain this, but listen to the opening of SRV's Pride And Joy, and you should get it.

tot_Ou_tard
January 2nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
swung rythm, I don't quite know how to explain, but when you're playing the blues, and maybe some jazz stuff, you have the whole note beat,
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +, and back to 1 on 4/4 timing, in a traditionaly played piece,the eighth notes are played evenly between the two beats,
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + , on a swung piece however, it's kinda like there's a delay there and the eighth note in between the two is closer to the later not, like so:
1 +2 +3 +4 +.

I hope I have managed to explain this, but listen to the opening of SRV's Pride And Joy, and you should get it.
That's what I thought pieman meant. It's commonly called a shuffle or dotted eighths.

Robert
January 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
I guess ya'll have to wait and see what the DVD will have... :D

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Ok, I'll pre-order, along with the first one in a package.

Robert
January 2nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
You want that one with the Canada pictures then, Steve? :D

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Lol!

Robert
January 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I'm not a very good salesman, am I... :D :( :messedup:

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
But wait, now what would you pay?!!!! Only from Robco!

just strum
January 2nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
Robert,

When do you expect to have this DVD available? Also, what are some of your thoughts/ideas to have on the DVD?

t_ross33
January 2nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Turnarounds. I'd love to see some cool turnarounds. Even if you can't solo (like me :D) you can really dress up a 12 bar blues with a good turnaround.

:cool:

http://www.smileyhut.com/music/blues.gif

Justaguyin_nc
January 2nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
I'm not a very good salesman, am I... :D :( :messedup:

maybe not... but i'm in...when it's out...

:AOK:

tjcurtin1
January 3rd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Add my vote for a combination of complete songs and some techniques/turnarounds/licks at basic to intermediate level.

Robert
January 3rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
I'm hoping it to be ready in the spring sometime. Maybe May. I still have lots to do and not so much time - work and family and marathon running keeps me very busy.

There will be original jam tracks/songs by me, in different common blues styles. There will be lesson on how to play the rhythm parts, as well as lead parts for each jam track/song.'

There will also be the usual ingredients - turnarounds, a few scales, chords, rhythm, chord progressions/12 bar blues, etc.

Sounds interesting enough?

It will be a beginner DVD - nothing very fancy. I'll leave the for the next Blues DVD! Yes, I plan on doing several! :AOK: